I have a Gibson SG signature series
I have a behringer Heavy metal distortion pedal, ultra phase shifter, echo machine and my PA system has standard bass, mid, treble as well as gain etc.

My band is trying to make a post-hardcore sound like devil wears prada, miss may i, we came as romans, blessthefall sort of stuff. Can anyone reccomend pedal, sort of sound.
the classic: high bass, low mid, high treble?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
i just keep everything on 7*@___@
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by deadsenses
I have a Gibson SG signature series
I have a behringer Heavy metal distortion pedal, ultra phase shifter, echo machine and my PA system has standard bass, mid, treble as well as gain etc.

My band is trying to make a post-hardcore sound like devil wears prada, miss may i, we came as romans, blessthefall sort of stuff. Can anyone reccomend pedal, sort of sound.

First off: are you using an amplifier and running a mic to the PA, or are you going straight from the pedals into the PA?

Because going straight into the PA is a huge reason for bad tone.

One good solution is getting an amp/cab simulator pedal, like the AMT Legend pedal series or the Tech 21 SansAmp pedals.

No matter what pedals you use, without an amp (or at least an amp/cab sim) you'll always have a dull tone, and distortions will sound like bees in a can.

Quote by seemeel
the classic: high bass, low mid, high treble?

Personally, this doesn't work for me.
High bass, low mids and high treble makes my guitar drown in the mix. Absolutely zero sound presence.

In scales of 1 to 10, my EQ settings are:
Bass - 4,5
Mids - 6,5
Treb - 4,5
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 16, 2010,
Going to straight to PA. What can I do with everything Ive got to get a good sound for this sort of heavy music? Ive never tried it before.
Honestly, going straight to the PA really isn't a smart idea. Even if you want to use the PA and not on-stage speakers, you will still need some kind of proper amp, POD or similar processor to have any chance of getting a good tone. Guitar to pedals and straight to the mixing desk is always going to sound horrible no matter what you do, plus it's a tech's nightmare to balance.

Get an amp, for the love of all that is holy, get an amp. If you're set on using the PA then get an amp that can go straight to that (Line 6 do loads of products for this, for example), you don't have to end up with a big stack amp if you don't want to, but you really need something if you want to have any kind of tone that anyone can stand to listen to for more than six seconds.

And I'm in agreement with Linkerman, don't scoop your treble. Unless you're playing at a really large venue with great techs who really know what they're doing, scooped tones won't work, you'll just get lost in the mix. If you want to be heard, you need to keep your mids.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by deadsenses
ok explain what i need to do? I have a 10w guitar amp if thats what you mean?

IMHO, you have three options:

A - connect a microphone to the PA, and use that microphone to capture the sound of your amp.
Something like this (sorry, but it was the best pic i could find right now):

B - like MrFlibble suggested, get an amp that has a dedicated output to the PA.
Keep in mind that amps with that feature are not very common. Again, like MrFlibble suggested, look into Line 6 amps.

C - like i suggested in my first post, get an AMT Legend Series pedal or a Tech 21 SansAmp pedal.
Those are connected after your effects, and go straight into the PA. They "replace" the amp, and give you a closer sound to the one you'd get by mic'ing an amp.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 16, 2010,
So with everything I have now what CAN I do? Im a little short on money and our first band practice is sunday.
First, you will never get anywhere if you don't learn to listen. They gave you advice, use it.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Ok heres a summary.
I need to run it through an amp. This can be done by holding a microphone to an amp and running the mic to my PA. I will probably do that. Now what I want to know is what EQ settings on my PA/AMP/pedals to use to get the best sound with what Ive got. Which of the pedals I previously mentioned will be needed and what settings to use?
Quote by deadsenses
Ok heres a summary.
I need to run it through an amp. This can be done by holding a microphone to an amp and running the mic to my PA. I will probably do that. Now what I want to know is what EQ settings on my PA/AMP/pedals to use to get the best sound with what Ive got. Which of the pedals I previously mentioned will be needed and what settings to use?

Experiment.

Use your ears, and adjust everything to your taste.
"The best sound" is a very personal thing. What i think the best sound is, may be the worst sound for you.

The only advice i can give you about this, is the one i gave you earlier:
Balance your EQ. Don't scoop your mids, or your guitar will drown in the mix.

Scooped mids may sound tight and brutal playing home alone, but when you're playing live (or even with other people), mids are your best friends.

EDIT: also, pedals aren't "needed" (exceptions granted).
You can use whatever pedals you want. Just mess around with your gear until you find a sound you like.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 17, 2010,