I have a bit of a brain twister then I need straightening out.

I'm looking to move away from my BOSS GT8 MultiFX and have already started building my collection of stomp boxes. As part of my gear upgrade programme, I have also bought a new amp - a Blackstar Studio HT20H.
I want to properly utilise the amps effects loop seeing as I'll be using separate stomp boxes for my effects.

Pretty simple for me to understand so far.

I've also been looking into the recommended signal chain order for my effects and how I'll be best off separating my modulation effects (chorus, phaser, delay, reverb) into the effects loop of my amp.

Again, nothing too complex for me there!

At the moment, I split the signal coming out of my Boss GT8 (which is in front of my amp) using an AB selector and send one to the amp and one to the PA. I use the PA for when I play acoustic, but still like to utilise some of the effects such as boost, compression, delay and reverb.

The problem I'm facing, is that I won't be able to use the stomp boxes that I have in the effects loop of my amp, in the PA via the AB switchbox.

Does that make sense?

My current setup:

Electric or Acoustic Guitar
\/
Boss GT8
\/
AB Switchbox
\/
A: AMP
or
B: PA

My problematic new setup:

Electric or Acoustic Guitar
\/
Stomp boxes
\/
AB Switchbox
\/
A: AMP (Mod fx in loop)
or
B: PA

But, because my modulation effects are sat in my guitar amp's effects loop, I can't use them through the PA.

The way I see it is I have 2 options.
1. Don't bother with the effects loop and have all my stomp boxes infront of the amp with the potential risk of naff sounding modulations on my amps dirt channel.
2. Use a combination of AB boxes and an ABY box to split and re-join the signal from the effects loop to the PA

Is option 2 feasible without causing damage to my amp/pa/pedals?

If it is feasible is it worth doing?

Do modulation effects really sound that bad infront of the amp on the amp's dirty channel?

I've not got anywhere near the amount of stomp boxes I need to start testing this out for myself, so i'm just asking for theoretical opinions please folks.

Attached are 2 images to help explain my ideas.

Current setup

Proposed setup

In the "Proposed setup" above I would have to switch both switchblades in order to send my signal to the PA.

EDIT: I've just realised that the proposed setup diagram would, in theory, sound nasty and the signal chain would be all merged together. Anyone got any ideas? My brain hurts...

Feedback is massively appreciated.
Last edited by machin05 at Jun 16, 2010,
Just run an A/B box in your effects loop.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If it was me, I would forget about the A/B switch and just set up the pedals with the distortion etc in front and the modulators in the effects loop, as you've described. Then I would use the head's "Speaker Emulated Output" to output the sound to the mixer, rather than straight in. You don't usually stick a guitar-level signal straight into a desk, you use a DI box. Using the "Speaker Emulated Output" would not require the DI box.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by Raijouta

Don't forget though, that this means your amp's preamp is going into the PA... Might not be bad though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Raijouta

Would I still get the benefit of the pedals infront of my amp? Do you literally mean the AB Switchblade after the modulation pedals, splitting between the FX return and the PA/DI?

I will try that out tonight, to see how the Blackstar's pre-amp affects the sound of my acoustic.

Quote by seemel
If it was me, I would forget about the A/B switch and just set up the pedals with the distortion etc in front and the modulators in the effects loop, as you've described. Then I would use the head's "Speaker Emulated Output" to output the sound to the mixer, rather than straight in. You don't usually stick a guitar-level signal straight into a desk, you use a DI box. Using the "Speaker Emulated Output" would not require the DI box.

If I did this, would it not cut the sound going to the cab? And wouldn't it always send a signal to the Amp and PA? I'd like to be able to switch between the 2 and not have to mute PA channels, as sound guys aren't always very cooperative like that!