I have a little dilemma going on here..
Basically I need a small, cheap practice amp but loud enough so it can be heard somewhere out of the bedroom aswell, at a bbq gig for example so I can show something off to my friends etc
So, after playing it a little at my friends place, I decided to go for a vox vt15. sounded pretty sweet to me
The problem is - I'm really limited on my budget. actually I thought I was able to afford it, but ran into some financial problems and cant really handle it now. It's just like every dollar counts now. But I really want to buy an amp fast as I don't have one right now.
I was looking at some orange crushes and roland cubes (the microcube aswell)
the cube 20x costs about the same as the vox, so not really interested. The cube 15x lacks some effects in my eyes, like a simple reverb for example.
Micro cube seems nice, but I really dont know how exactly loud it is. The orange crush pix series seem pretty ok.
So, should I get some of these or is it really worth waiting for the vt15?
i really don't know much about any of these amps, but in my experience, if there is something you really really like, its worth waiting and getting. in other words, don't settle. having the sound you like is really important, and it'll help you in the long run. anyway, sorry if that didn't help much, but i figured i'd share a little from my experience.
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
The 15x and 20x are garbage. They don't have the same COSM modeling as the Microcube, or the Cube 30 or Cube 60.

The Microcube is nice, but don't expect to be able to able to get over a drummer with it. Same with the VT15, it also isn't THAT loud.
The VT15 is nothing but a practice amp. The Microcube is a portable practice amp.
See if you can find the Vox on craigslist.
Although, you should try to find something with more power. If you go used, you'll be able to get a louder amp for the same price (if not less) than the Vox.
What's your closest major city, and how much would you like to spend?
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Does It have to be one of those two? I'm kinda in the same positions as you and i've been looking at amps like the Line 6 spider IV 15 and the Peavey Vypyr, as the seem to be able to do most things well, and they have loads of effects. also, the Vypyr is a tube amp so you get pretty good tone...
Well I have no need to get over a drummer, I'm not playing in a band yet (and I think I won't in near future) and there are no drummers around here waiting to be overpowered
I've got the microcube.
it's pretty loud but not loud enough to use outside your room for gigs or somethin.
it's got an
r-fier func: metal, and heavier
classic: don't like it too much but you can get a bit of a hendrix sound.
the other functions are mostly for clean and blues stuff, i like it pretty much.
but it doesn't have a treble mid or low only gain.
it has also got a tone button, reverb/delay button, and tremolo/phaser/flanger/chorus button.
maybe it's better to buy somethin different more expensive.
Other option. for the bbq burrow the VOX from your friend.
cus you have to take some time to choose an amp.
and really be sure.
later
Quote by forsaknazrael
The 15x and 20x are garbage. They don't have the same COSM modeling as the Microcube, or the Cube 30 or Cube 60.

The Microcube is nice, but don't expect to be able to able to get over a drummer with it.

+1

(i didn't get to crank up the vt15, not sure how loud it gets)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, it's clear about the cubes. But how about the orange crush pix series? Anyone has one of these? Would be nice to hear something about them cuz the info is really limited on these.
never tried one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
On the really cheap.... Vypyr 15 is only $100. Although if I was that broke I'd be watching Craigslist like a hawk. Heck I do that anyway.