So I love pedals. I don't have a huge board, but it currently looks like this:

Ernie Ball Wah>Boss TU-3>Boss CS-3>Moog FreqBox>Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff>Love Pedal Englishman>Line 6 MM4>Boss NS-2>MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay>Boss DD-20>Ernie Ball Volume Jr.>Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I mostly use Gibson guitars (SG standard, ES-137 Classic, and a Les Paul VOS '54 Goldtop)

The pedals i don't currently have on my board are:
Boss DS-1 (the worst distortion known to man, i was convince to buy it for a recording, never used it again)
Boss BD-2 (stopped using because it had very little low end, and didn't give me enough drive)
Boss HM-2(stopped using because due to its age, has become unreliable.. its older than myself)

I need a good distortion, because the big muff is great for somethings, but its very noisy and very heavy on the low end, and the Englishman sounds identical to a cranked up Vox AC30. I was wanting something in between to sound similar to an old marshall full stack.

So far, only to pedals have stood out to me:
ZVex Box Of Rock
MI Audio Crunch Box Distortion

DOes anyone else have any ideas? or should i continue to use one of my pedals that I have purged from my pedalboard.

Thanks
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Sure seems like a huge pedalboard to me

The two pure distortions I've really liked in the past were the ToneBone pedals (both American and British flavored) and the Soldano GTO. All are expensive. I'm not sure how either would work with a low power, soft feeling amp like the Hot Rod. But they are possibilities.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Check the Wampler Plextortion (or any dirt by Wampler, they all are awesome) seems llike what you want, and I'd take that over a BoR anyday. It's really crunchy and open and natural, I love it

Very nice board BTW
try Tech 21 Sansamp gt

and I agree with you ds-1 is possibly the worst pedal know to man kind..

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
i don't think i need to spend more than maybe, $250.00 at the MOST (for an amazing one, but I think distortions are usually overpriced), though I would love to spend somewhere between $100 and $200. And my board is physically small, every inch is filled with something. I have to keep my volume, wah, and modulation pedal off of it. Thanks for the compliment on the pedalboard, I am very into pedals right now haha and I've tried extremely hard looking for things. I've been looking at the wampler on their website, it sounds very nice. My only concern with it, is that it doesn't have the boost switch, but I don't think that its a huge deal. Its also a little more than I want to spend, sounds great. I also often play through Twin Reverbs, Deluxe Reverbs, Orange OR-50s, and various ADs, and sometimes through a matchless Avalon 30.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

now my friend is convincing me to get a Fulltone OCD... so many to choose from!
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

try the pedal board thread... we chat about these kinds of things all the time...

My suggestion would be (instead of buying a new pedal) do the Ultra or All seeing eye mod to your DS-1. With some minor soldering, you can turn an ok/shitty pedal into boutique awesomeness. Or you can send the one you have to Robert Keeley, and have him do it for you (plus then you get the sweet keeley sticker put on it)
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
i thought about that, but I am not very found of the sound. I checked out the Wampler Plextortion, the thing sounded fantastic. At the moment, it's either that, a fulltone OCD, or a Box Of Rock.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

If you're looking for Marshall then a Lovepedal Purple Plexi, MI Audio Crunchbox, or one of the Xotic Effects pedals is suppose to mimic an old Marshall (don't remember if its the AC, the RC, or the BB).

If you're looking for something to mimic a more colorful side of the British amp spectrum then look into an Earthquaker Devices Monarch Overdrive.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
If you're looking for Marshall then a Lovepedal Purple Plexi, MI Audio Crunchbox, or one of the Xotic Effects pedals is suppose to mimic an old Marshall (don't remember if its the AC, the RC, or the BB).

If you're looking for something to mimic a more colorful side of the British amp spectrum then look into an Earthquaker Devices Monarch Overdrive.

The BB Preamp is the one based of a Marshall. I think its based of a Bluesbreaker...

+1 to the Lovepedal Purple Plexi and Jetter Purple Gain Stage.
Catalinbread DLS and Jetter Gain Stage Purple destroy pretty much anything in that category. Never tried the Wampler stuff though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I feel obligated to post a link to my DS-1 mod thread. Go listen to the clip and see how great the DS-1 can sound with some minor improvements.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326902

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I need something that will get me tones like the "Black Keys" and also "Led Zeppelin." I need help from users, because most of these pedals are not found at guitarcenter, and i haven't been able to check out other better stores lately. I looked at the Jetter Gain Stage Purple which seems pretty good? Anything i should take into consideration before I purchase anything? I like how the Jetter Gain Stage Purple is made to make american made amps sound like english.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Black Keys is a lot of Big Muff, the old green Russian one. Zeppelin is a cranked Marshall, so any Marshall-in-a-box will do.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I've skipped pretty much all the replies in this thread, so don't hate if I'm just echoing what's already been said...

You've got a DS-1 and a Blues Driver, dude. Drop $100 (maybe) modifying them (Brian Wampler, Monte Allums, Keely, etc.) and you'll have a couple of pedals that'll sound much better than pretty much every mid-range distortion/od pedal. Plus, you'll save lots of money.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The Box of Rock and Crunchbox should both do the sound you described. Check out the Keeler Designs Shove as well, it's much like these two. I owned one for a couple of months, nice pedal all around.
Quote by kracdown
i thought about that, but I am not very found of the sound. I checked out the Wampler Plextortion, the thing sounded fantastic. At the moment, it's either that, a fulltone OCD, or a Box Of Rock.

of those 2, go for the OCD.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
i have a question, why does the boss ds-1 pedal suck so much?
Quote by rkk94
i have a question, why does the boss ds-1 pedal suck so much?

Because its a poorly designed circuit made from cheap components. Thats why the stock ones sound like crap and modded ones don't.
can i mod the one i have myself or do i need to take it to a special place? if i get a better amp with more channels will the distortion be good enough or will i still need the pedal?
Quote by rkk94
can i mod the one i have myself or do i need to take it to a special place? if i get a better amp with more channels will the distortion be good enough or will i still need the pedal?

If you know what you're doing then you can mod anything yourself.

Also, it depends on what amp you get. If you do buy a new amp then you should get one that is suited for your needs that you aren't going to need distortion pedals with.

Now stop thread jacking!
I'd possibly spend up to $250.00. I thought about sending in my Boss pedals to be modded, but I hate dealing with shipping, especially because Ill be away the next two months. I liked the Blackstar HT Drive, but I am concerned about its size. is it worth it? It seems like you can really get the sound you want with all those knobs!
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

you can find out how to do all the mods yourself on the internet... all you need is a halfway decent soldering iron, something to desolder the current connections (sucker or braid), the parts, and a small bit of solder.

I did the ultra mod to my DS-1 in 2hrs using the instructions from a website. It'll be your cheapest option, and if you don't like it, you just drove up the ebay value of your pedals...
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by theGlitch
you can find out how to do all the mods yourself on the internet... all you need is a halfway decent soldering iron, something to desolder the current connections (sucker or braid), the parts, and a small bit of solder.

I did the ultra mod to my DS-1 in 2hrs using the instructions from a website. It'll be your cheapest option, and if you don't like it, you just drove up the ebay value of your pedals...

Was this your fist soldering experience? Because I have never soldered in my life. Is it that easy? Oh and Blackstar HT Drive seems a little to modern Marshall for me, but thats only from youtube videos, and proguitarshop.com.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

whatever you do, don't buy any boss distortion or overdrive pedal, they are some of the worst out there tbh.

Look at the Ibanez or Maxon tubescreamer lines, or EHX Big Muff or something. Also +1 on the zvex box of rock.
hmm, I'm not sure if soldering is the answer for me...
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by handbanana
whatever you do, don't buy any boss distortion or overdrive pedal, they are some of the worst out there tbh.

Look at the Ibanez or Maxon tubescreamer lines, or EHX Big Muff or something. Also +1 on the zvex box of rock.

Have you ever tried any of the MIJ Boss overdrives? I think not...

TS, see if you can go to a music store and just try every distortion pedal you can find.
I have a MIJ Boss Overdrive, but it sounds so generic
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Cause pretty much every OD is a copy of it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
today, I was at many of my local music shops, and I played this all yellow, small pedal, with an orange light and only one knob for volume. I don't remember what it was called, it played GREAT! A little pricey at $175.00, but it sounded great. Can anyone help me identify the pedal? Thanks! BMF Brand?

I just found it:
http://www.fattoneguitars.com/BMF_Effects_Great_Wide_Open_Distortion_Pedal_p/bmf07.htm

I was offered a better price though
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Last edited by kracdown at Jun 17, 2010,
My vote's for the Lovepedal Purple Plexi. That thing sounds phenomenal.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
sounds good, but a little pricey.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

combination of muff and rat
Guitars:
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet w/bigsby

Effects:
Boss tuner
Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive
Proco Rat 2
EH Russian Big Muff Pi
VooDoo Labs Tremolo
EB Volume Pedal Jr
Line6 DL4

Amps:
Hot Rod Deville 410+orange ppc212ob
So, you're 14?
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
yeah...

Oh and by the way as an edit to my pedal board I picked up this Russian Electro Harmonix SmallStone. Its great.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps: