I am looking for a new guitar for around £350-£450. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you [:
I play a lot of rock (Foo Fighters) A bit of Red Hot Chili Peppers, blues, stuff like that.
I currently have a Yamaha RGX-A2 Guitar, which I bought used a while ago. I have a Marshall MG102FX amp, a Digitech RP350 Multi Effects Pedal (was the best I could afford at the time) and yes, I am willing to buy used guitars.
Okay: if youre looking for one around the 400 mark, here is a list of guitars to avoid, and good guitars: if they are to be avoided, it is mostly because the lower end models are too cheply built to be worth it

Avoid: BC Rich, Some of Jackson, Aria, some of squier, B&M

Go for: Some of Jackson, Dean, Some of Ibanez, PRS (really cheap ones), SOME of squier.

and guys, dont flip out at me, its personal opinion.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 16, 2010,
Every single person is going to tell you to buy a new amp first. For what it's worth, the RGXA2 is a pretty decent guitar already (if a touch on the obscure and odd side) and the styles you've described - Foo Fighters, RHCP, "blues, stuff like that" - add up to "standard rock", which means you can use pretty much any guitar you fancy.

If you're really set on a new guitar, try looking at the Vintage Advance range of guitars. They've got something for every style and taste and they're as well-built as you could hope for in the under-£500 price bracket (most of them cost around £300). Some of the better Epiphones or MIM Fenders would also be worth looking into, again there's a wide range of options so go to their websites and see what takes your fancy. Going used, you could possibly pick up an American-made Fender or Gibson SG at the top end of your budget, or one of the better Korean-made guitars (e.g. LTD Deluxe range, older Epiphones).

Really though, prepare for three hundred posts telling you to buy a new amp first.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
you can often pick up MIJ tokais within that budget- for example, on ebay at the moment (they're new guitars being sold by dealers, don't worry) there's the gs100 for £345 with free postage- it's basically a modern-style strat with a wilkinson trem. If it's anything like the MIJ tokais I have tried, if you want a strat, it's bound to be worth considering. EDIT: if you ask me the MIJ tokai annihilate the vintage advances (as i said, assuming it's of the same quality as the MIJ tokais I have tried), but I'll let flibble off as this is an obscure model at a reduced price, they're not normally that cheap

how do you like your yamaha? it has humbuckers, right? an option would be getting a strat to cover rhcp and bluesy stuff and then using your yamaha for the rockier stuff. if you need your new guitar to cover all of that, then an HSS fat strat (or copy, or superstrat) would be a good idea, IMO. See if you can find a yamaha pacifica 812v?

EDIT: a new amp would also be worth considering too, but if you desperately need rhcp tones (and srv assuming that's what you mean by blues) a strat or fat strat would also be fairly necessary. judgement call time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 16, 2010,
Haha
I have a Vox AC30VR that is currently having the valves replaced so I should of said that. Thanks for the help though I've had a look on the web and found this:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Arctic-White-Tinted-Neck/9MD

Does anybody have any experiences or know anything about these? I believe they are MIM and it looks nice.
Yeah the Yamaha has Humbuckers, I like it but it for some songs it just doesn't fit. This is where the strat would come in handy I would keep the guitar I have but I wouldn't be able to afford much a decent strat
Quote by CharlieSlyster
Haha
I have a Vox AC30VR that is currently having the valves replaced so I should of said that. Thanks for the help though I've had a look on the web and found this:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Arctic-White-Tinted-Neck/9MD

Does anybody have any experiences or know anything about these? I believe they are MIM and it looks nice.
MIM Standard Strats can be pretty nice guitars, the tremolos can sometimes be a little bit on the dodgy side (don't try to do shred metal dive bombs with them), but nothing too critical.
You you like the look of that, you might want to have a look at the Fender Deluxe Lone Star Strat. It's basically a MIM Standard Strat but with nicer stock pickups (Fender CS Texas Specials at the neck and middle, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus at the bridge) and I think when I bought mine, I paid £450 for it, or certainly around there. It was a fair bit under £500 anyway.

Also, Sounds Alive have the MIM Standard HSS Strat for £399. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere else is even cheaper. Pays to shop around!

Quote by Dave_Mc
cheap Tokais
Great, thanks for mentioning this right when my bank account's empty.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
personally if you must get a guitar over an amp id try get a used ibanez prestige, very very nice guitars, alternativly if you get chance try out a maverick, the pickups aint the best but the guitars themself are very nice.

but personally if put some cash into a new amp first as no matter what guitar you get that will suck the tone away and you will still end up with a marshall MG tone.
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
You can get a 2nd hand Fender Jaguar re issue for that (MiJ or MiM). Depends whether you like them or not. I don't think it's worth getting a new guitar though.

You could get a PRS SE Tremonti, as someone said an Ibanez Prestige 2nd hand, 2nd hand usa strat etc etc.
or it might be worth getting a semi-hollow guitar, check out epiphone and maybe 2nd hand gretsch guitars.
Quote by CharlieSlyster
Haha

you know how much better an MIM strat is compared to a cheap squier? Assuming the Japanese-made tokai strats I have tried are indicative of the quality of the one I'm talking about, it'll be a similar amount better than the MIM Fender. For the guts of £100 less.

there are a fair few tokai dealers around, though, if you get lucky you might find one to try. Just in case, i dunno, you don't get on with the neck or something like that. It doesn't matter how nice the guitar is if you hate the neck profile.

Quote by MrFlibble

Great, thanks for mentioning this right when my bank account's empty.

hehe, i sort of have GAS for one too. Only problem is I remember a while back they were £300 so that's holding me off (psychological, really, i mean if they were worth £300 they're still worth £345). If i get a voucher i might jump on it... if i don't use it on a tokai breezysound tele instead, lol.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
(a) I'd also highly recommend a MIJ Tokai (stay away from the Chinese ones.)
They pop up on eBay quite a lot.

(b) An MIJ Fender would be more convenient though. And it's worth remembering if you get a humbucker in the bridge you can always swap it out for something that's coil tappable later on.

(a)

(b) how so? the mij fenders are pretty rare around here too, and are normally a lot more money. Plus tokai made a lot of teh MIJ fenders there a while back anyway, so it's pretty much the same thing, for cheaper, and often with better hardware and pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh ok, yeah that makes more sense

As i said though, there are some tokai dealers here. Not as many as fender, but if you're lucky, you might have one close by.

I mean, I would take an MIJ Tokai I couldn't try over an MIM Fender I could, no question- but that's easy for me to say as I *have* tried enough of them to know i like them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Forgive an old man and his foibles. Why on earth would you add an Alder Strat to an Alder Yammy when , for sake of variation, something with Mahogany will open up a whole range of blues and rock sounds. A really nice complement would be the Vintage Icon Lemon Drop. Can't say that is not a blues sound but it rocks pretty good too. (and a good price)
My Yammy is the predecessor to the A2. Nice guitar, a bit thin sounding even with a pickup upgrade. Mine's demoted to backup for either of the others.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

i thought the rgx was a dual humbucker-loaded mahogany superstrat? i could be wrong, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?