Hey, i need your advice!

i could get an laney lv200 for 380 € and i´m not sure if i should get it.

My gear is a ltd ec200qm into an ibanez valbee. I´m not giggin, maybe some jamming in the future.

I´m into metal, like metallica, children of bodom, lamb of god etc...

Should i get it? I´m kind of tone deaf xD

would it sound good with actives? (for future)

thanks in advance!

(i´m from germany so sorry for the bad english)
that might be a downgrade I haven't tried the valbee, but assuming it's not terrible... EDIT: i haven't tried the laney either Just an educated guess.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I can't really help with your amp situation, but your English is a lot better than some of the native speakers on this forum.
yeah it depends on what you want.

and yeah, your english is great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, the only thing that really bugs me is the lead tone of my valbee, should i get an od pedal? or is it pointless to get a pedal thats half the price of the amp? and a footswitch between clean/distortion would be cool... but i don´t know how to get this without a new amp...
yeah if the valbee is single channel you can't really get a footswitch for it. You could get a distortion pedal and run the amp clean, that'd give you pseudo-two channels, but that's not much use if you like the distortion tone of the amp (i haven't tried it but I think it's aimed at high gain). alternatively you can roll your guitar's volume control down for cleans (though that's not going to clean you up from a really heavy tone, just from a classic rock level of distortion). or you could do that in combination with an overdrive pedal. Guitar volume down- clean tone; guitar volume up full- rhythm overdrive/distortion; guitar volume up plus overdrive pedal- lead tone/heavier distortion rhythm tone.

I wouldn't say it's pointless to get a pedal when your amp was cheap if it does what you want, but at the same time I think the caution you're applying is a good idea. You don't want to be spending a ton on pedals, and you want to make sure that you don't end up buying pedals which you think will do what you want, but which 3 weeks later you realise won't (it's very easy for something like that to happen).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah thats my problem

i even thougth of switching to active pickups or high output stuff, but again it´s not worth it when i put emgs or an dimarzio activator (i only read about them) in my guitar.

And the thing with the volume works only for the mid gain stuff... (i have volume for both of the pickups so i only switch pickups)

thanks for the replies... i think i keep my little blue amp xD
yeah if you have two volumes that's even better, you can preset the neck pickup to the volume almost off and the bridge to volume up full, and use the pickup selector like a footswitch. but as you say, that only really works if you don't have the gain too high.

if the amp's really not doing what you want, a new amp might make the most sense if you're willing and able to save up for it. a pedal or pickup is fine if you're certain it'll do exactly what you want, but as i already said, the situation you really want to avoid is spending a bunch of money on quick fixes which don't work, and then when you look back at all you've spent on those fixes, you realise it would have paid for (or nearly paid for) an amp which would definitely have done what you want.

Up to you
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
will a od pedal as a boost give me more gain? or will it make my amp louder? or would it clean my muddiness? (i play a very mid heavy tone), i would like to push the lead tone more into jeff loomis or alexi laiho territory...
yeah, it'll give you more gain, and yeah, it'll (probably- most tubescreamer-type pedals anyway) tighten up your tone too, though ts-style pedals are very mid-heavy too, so it might be too much. it won't really make your amp any louder unless you're running it into a clean amp. EDIT: by that i mean it might make things a bit louder if you want, but if you're running it into an already dirty amp the main aim is to add more distortion, and that's mainly what it'll do.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 16, 2010,
The Valbee's problem is it's tiny speaker. Sure you can squeeze more gain out of it, but a 6" speaker won't sound like a 12" one no matter what, and the low-end provided by such a speaker is pretty essential for metal.

That's also not that great of a deal. I got a Laney GH50L this month for 320€ (from ebay, I'm also located in Germany) which is a beast of an amp (but would need a boost for modern metal tones).

I'd advise you to look for used Line6 Flextones if you want good metal tones for cheap, or bite the bullet by saving up and getting something like an Engl Screamer off ebay.
depends on how much money you're willing to spend. they're discontinued, but the v1 version of the danelectro transparent overdrive is very nice if you don't want the mid-hump of a tubescreamer. If you can find one (or go used)- the v1 has a yellowy-beige sticker, the v2 has a black sticker. The v2 might be fine, too, just i haven't tried it.

if you want a tubescreamer-style pedal, maybe the tonerider american overdrive? i haven't tried it but supposedly it's a ts9 (or very close). i have their distortion and chorus, nice pedals.

If you're anywhere near musicstore, they have fame pedals- they're rebadged biyangs. I've had terrible luck with their pedals in terms of reliability, but they sound good when they work (lol). they're about 30 euro, their drive pedal is pretty tubescreamery.

EDIT: or if you can't find any of those, you could always try a boss sd1 or digitech bad monkey (i haven't tried the bad monkey).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by Lyrrixx
any recommandations about such an od pedal?

If you really just need more gain for leads...

On the cheap side:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss SD-1

A little more expensive:
Maxon OD808
Ollman Ice Tube (discontinued, but easy to find used in Germany - I used to own one, great, hand-made tubescreamer for a reasonable price)
thanks guys, you know pretty much about amps

i´ve got to do some research now ^^