Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,

Many people have told me that it's realy bad to plug your guitar into an amp that already turned on (you know when you hear that loud popping sound) and it can eventualy mess up the amp bad.

Is there any truth to this ?

P.S. Personaly I believe that's complete bull****
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
It offends my ears when I do this. That's enough for me to avoid it by turning down the volume. Except when I'm not paying attention.
Quote by Dizzy-D
Hey UG,

Many people have told me that it's realy bad to plug your guitar into an amp that already turned on (you know when you hear that loud popping sound) and it can eventualy mess up the amp bad.

Is there any truth to this ?

P.S. Personaly I believe that's complete bull****

Well you're wrong and the fact that you are wrong makes you right.

Basically it can damage the speaker, not the amp. The loud pop, in extreme cases can cause an extreme excursion of the speaker and could potentially damage the cone. It cannot damage the amp itself however. So the first misconception you had (that it was said to damage the amp) led to the second (that it was complete BS) being true. Words are fun!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Its is not complete bs what so ever. You could not only potentially damage your amp, but you could also blow out your guitar's pickups as well. I turn off my amp EVERY time i want to plug in.

Ibanez Artcore -> my baby
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone SG
VOX AD100VTH
Digitech RP500 Effects Processor
Crybaby Classic Wah
Boss Flanger
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss 2 way Channel Switch
Quote by lt mittens
you can try that with a solid state but i wouldn't do it to much with a tube amp

Not sure, but what does it have to do with the amp's power configuration? As far as I know, it's bad for the speakers more than the amp...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by CRplaysguitar
Its is not complete bs what so ever. You could not only potentially damage your amp, but you could also blow out your guitar's pickups as well. I turn off my amp EVERY time i want @ plug in.

This is bullshit. It can't damage the amp, but only the speakers, and it definitely can't damage the pick ups. Where the hell did you hear that?

Edit: ^ Ya its the speakers not the amp, this is just a big misconception, similar to the 'bass through guitar amp' thing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Well you're wrong and the fact that you are wrong makes you right.

Basically it can damage the speaker, not the amp. The loud pop, in extreme cases can cause an extreme excursion of the speaker and could potentially damage the cone. It cannot damage the amp itself however. So the first misconception you had (that it was said to damage the amp) led to the second (that it was complete BS) being true. Words are fun!

+1

Quote by CRplaysguitar
Its is not complete bs what so ever. You could not only potentially damage your amp, but you could also blow out your guitar's pickups as well. I turn off my amp EVERY time i want to plug in.

LOLWUT?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tubetime86
This is bullshit. It can't damage the amp, but only the speakers, and it definitely can't damage the pick ups. Where the hell did you hear that?

Edit: ^ Ya its the speakers not the amp, this is just a big misconception, similar to the 'bass through guitar amp' thing.

So will turning the volume to 0 avoid this ?
Quote by szekelymihai
So will turning the volume to 0 avoid this ?

Yup. Even just turning the volume down will avoid it. Its really only an issue if your amp is cranked and you plug in, causing an earth shattering pop, which as Fly says is just a good thing to avoid anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I put mine on standby everytime I switch guitars. Takes like 5 seconds and it worth it to me.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by tubetime86

Bass though a guitar amp is also only bad for the speakers ?
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
LOL at blown pickups. That's just silly.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Dizzy-D
Bass though a guitar amp is also only bad for the speakers ?

Yup. See its a common misconception, but the amp doesn't care what frequencies it amplifies, only the speakers can be damaged by the lows of a bass. The amp is fine.

Just for reference, here is a picture of me plugging in my guitar while my amp is running:

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by CRplaysguitar

I remember I was like you once.

I remember when I thought I knew all there was to know about guitar.

You are wrong.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I remember when I used to give advice in GG&A like that too...
Thank God now I actually do know everything about guitar.

Quote by tubetime86
Yup. See its a common misconception, but the amp doesn't care what frequencies it amplifies, only the speakers can be damaged by the lows of a bass. The amp is fine.

Just for reference, here is a picture of me plugging in my guitar while my amp is running:

While we're kinda on the same topic. Can I plug a bass through my Digitech Whammy (or any other guitar pedals for that matter)? Will the whammy also not care what frequencies it shifts and butchers every which way?
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
it can de-ionize the pick ups.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Dizzy-D
While we're kinda on the same topic. Can I plug a bass through my Digitech Whammy (or any other guitar pedals for that matter)? Will the whammy also not care what frequencies it shifts and butchers every which way?

As far as I know its fine, but Fly135 could probably answer better. With passive pickups I'm sure its fine, with actives I get confused.

Edit: Actually guitars use actives as well so I'm sure that's fine too. The thing is its about signal strength not necessarily frequency. Its just electricity until it hits the speakers.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by tubetime86

Was that the pickups exploding or the amp?

I had a friend (don't ask who, you don't know him) who plugged into an amp while it was running and his pickups exploded, blowing off his hands and torso. True story. Seriously.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Last edited by PedroLesPaulVM at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM

I had a friend (don't ask who, you don't know him) who plugged into an amp while it was running and his pickups exploded, blowing off his hands and torso. True story. Seriously.

It was literally the air molecules around me exploding. Apparently something in the amp inherently starts decaying matter at such a rate that modern physics can't keep up, so it just EXPLODES!

Edit: Luckily I was wearing rubber soled shoes, which saved my life.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I doubt it will harm the pups. It's conceivable that a charge build up on a cap could fry a pup. But most amp schematics I've seen have an input resistor to ground that would eliminate that possibility.

t can de-ionize the pick ups.
Clean them with 409 to prevent this.
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM

You forgot to add he had a beard, turban, and a bulky vest on at the time.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
pull the outer pair of tubes and use an attenuator.

What?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I turn the volume to 0; turn the amp off; and unplug the power cord when I plug the guitar in. When I'm done playing, I turn it on again.
Quote by mr_hankey
I turn the volume to 0; turn the amp off; and unplug the power cord when I plug the guitar in. When I'm done playing, I turn it on again.
That's why your family never complains about your playing.
Quote by fly135

Clean them with 409 to prevent this.

really? doesn't that cause magnetic back pressure making the string to go flat?
Quote by fly135
That's why your family never complains about your playing.

Yes, that's true, but the real reason for that is because I have mad skillz, yo.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jun 16, 2010,
i plugged into a turned on amp once and my pickups, my strings, and my cat exploded.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by gregs1020
really? doesn't that cause magnetic back pressure making the string to go flat?

Use magnets for picks. Pulls the fragile harmonics right through the back pressure.

tubetime - attenuators and EQ pedals fix everything remember.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
tubetime - attenuators and EQ pedals fix everything remember.

Ya but only ebay attenuators and MXR 10 band EQs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

DoOd! Datz suM MeGa BrOotZzzZ

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by fly135
It's conceivable that a charge build up on a cap could fry a pup. But most amp schematics I've seen have an input resistor to ground that would eliminate that possibility.

Good that someone brought that up:
Don't let your young dogs get near your amp. Amp manufacturers claim that it's safe, but I've seen it happen too many times...
Quote by mr_hankey
Good that someone brought that up:
Don't let your young dogs get near your amp. Amp manufacturers claim that it's safe, but I've seen it happen too many times...

Uh-oh...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
to prevent your pups from exploding you actually have to pull a power tube immediately before changing guitars to discharge the static electricity buildup.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by tubetime86
Uh-oh...

tone lab!
Quote by gregs1020
tone lab!

Actually he's a hybrid; part tone lab, part pit monkey.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2