Im looking for a good tube amp that sounds great at a low volume mainly because playing loud is nearly impossible for me and atm GC is having a good sale so i just thought i would get some of your input on this amp or others like it. Thanks
I have one. It's perfect for practice - not advised for loud playing.
I use it is my backup amp behind my BlackStar Series One. TBH if you have the budget for a series one, do it - they come with DPR to make sure it maintains good tone at low volume.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
I heard theres a few glitches with sound fading in the effects loop is this true?
Quote by Sagemaster44
I heard theres a few glitches with sound fading in the effects loop is this true?
I use the FX loop on mine with no issues.

Quote by Sagemaster44
Well i was thinking about buying the head and maybe a better cab 2X12?
That's what I did. BTW, if you have a full pedalboard and use distortion pedals a Epi Vjr head will do just as good a job as the HT-5 clean channel for a lot less money.

Havent gotten around to making a pedalboard yet. What cab would you suggest for the HT-5 also what pedals do you got atm? Thanks for the help
Well I got the Crate V212B because it was on CL for $100. My pedal board currently...

In front....

Cry Baby Classic Wah
Magicstomp
VS Jekyll & Hyde
Russian Big Muff
English Muff'n

in the FX loop

VS H20
Magicstomp
Fish & Chips EQ
Jamman
EB Volume Pedal

When I use the Vjr head it all goes in front.
Oh I dont have the cash atm for all those pedals so i guess the Ht-5 is the way to go for me wouldnt u say?
Yep, nothing wrong with the HT-5. Although if it were me I would get the Fender Super CHamp XD.
I have the mini stack, I got it from GC by bargaining down to $450 after a sales guy kept me waiting 90 minutes trying to find something else. It was a waste of money. Because both speakers face directly forward the lower one doesn’t do much at low volumes other than provide stand for the top speaker. A milk crate would be just as useful. It’s also not nearly as quiet as the people claim; I have to use mine with a master volume in the effects loop to get a decent tone at apartment volumes.

If tube tone at low volumes for little money is really what you need just get the HT-Dual pedal and run the cabinet-emulated line out into a set of good monitor speakers. You’ll get almost the same sound with much better volume control for half the money.
blackstar ht5 yes....

stack no..

either get the combo or just a decent 1x12 or something, the stack's cabs aren't good!
Well im not really tech-savy to be quite honest this will be my first tube amp and im open to suggestions. I like to play stuff from van halen, vinnie moore, dream theater, etc i also like to play nice soft stuff as well.
Quote by Sagemaster44
Well im not really tech-savy to be quite honest this will be my first tube amp and im open to suggestions. I like to play stuff from van halen, vinnie moore, dream theater, etc i also like to play nice soft stuff as well.

Again, just get a good preamp pedal like the HT-Dual. Tube sound is great but tube amps are a waste if you have to keep the volume down.
The Fender Super Champ XD will cover all your bases, sound better, and do more than the HT-5 for less money. You can always add a cab later for a bigger sound.
the one nice thing about the ht-5 is that it is packed full of features. however, ive found the sound isnt anything fantastic. when i first tried one i really liked it, but i think it was the features that really got my attention. it has seemed lack luster ever since.

for a similar price, i personally would recomend the jet city 20W combo. it doesnt have that many features and isnt really as versitile, but it sounds a lot better. cleans are ok, but it has great crunch. sounds fine a low volumes, but better turned up.

for something with a bit more versitility, maybe look into the bugera v22. havent actually had a chance to try one myself, but people seem to like them. i listened to some clips at one point and it sounded fine, but it is at least one to play when you head to GC.
now blackstars ht-5 are hated?
omg

dude, if it's your first tube amp.

5w tube amp. the blackstar is the best 5w amp in this price range.

i said.
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
So how would i connect this HT-Dual up? Would i have to run it through something like GuitarRig 4 or what?

Not hated. But the HT-5 has been hyped too much, especially on sites like this one.

So how would i connect this HT-Dual up? Would i have to run it through something like GuitarRig 4 or what?

You should be able to just plug the monitors into the HT-Dual, although you might need a size adapter depending on what outputs the speakers use. A computers isn’t even needed because the amp has a hardware speaker emulator built-in. You can even plug good PC speakers right into it, although it won’t sound as good as proper studio monitors.
So its like this:

A) Guitar > HT-Dual > Monitors?
B) Guitar > HT-Dual > Amp?

ATM i have a Spider IV 15W
Quote by Teque86

Brash statement. I wouldn't even call it a tube amp tbh but then I don't think my JCM900 is truly a tube amp either - they are hybrids. I'd take a Fender Champ 600 over a HT-5 any day - it really is a tube amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Sagemaster44
So its like this:

A) Guitar > HT-Dual > Monitors?
B) Guitar > HT-Dual > Amp?

ATM i have a Spider IV 15W

Right. The HT Dual is a full-blown two-channel preamp, so whatever you connect it to handles power amp duties. And because you aren’t doing any loud playing you’ll get better sound through a set of smaller studio monitors than you will with a set of 10" or 12" speakers made to handle a lot more volume.
Quote by Teque86
omg

dude, if it's your first tube amp.

i said.

umm...I mean 5 watts is such an arbitrary number. Best five watt tube amp? The ht is barely a tube amp.

How about egnater tweaker? Best 15 watt amp with real power output tubes.

But I dunno maybe a 12bh7 sounds awesome when it's drive to breakup? I sure hope no other companies figure that out.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
So is it safe to say for example that ordering the HT-Dual online and buying a pair of good monitors from GC is a better alternative than a tube amp such as fender/eggnater/line6? Considering i could still run the HT-Dual in front of my Spider IV
Quote by Sagemaster44
So is it safe to say for example that ordering the HT-Dual online and buying a pair of good monitors from GC is a better alternative than a tube amp such as fender/eggnater/line6? Considering i could still run the HT-Dual in front of my Spider IV

It’s better than buying a tube amp that’s only going to get played at low volumes. there’s a youtube demo video. And check the price on the pedal at the GC store; here in NYC the Blackstar pedals run $50–$100 less than the web site. Hell, Guitar Center might even let you test the pedal with different monitors in the store if you go on a slow day and they need to sell stuff. It’s also worth checking Best Buy for monitors if you live near a Best Buy that sells music gear because Best Buy tends to discount them heavily on a pretty regular basis.
you should check out the HT 5 thread.
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
Quote by Sagemaster44
That is not safe to say. You have to remember these are all opinions. I'm pretty sure that I would like a HT-Dual going into monitors, but it would be too limiting for a number of reasons. First you are stuck with the sound of the HT-Dual. I like variety. Second, you aren't guaranteed that mod/delay/reverb effects will sound good after the HT's DI out. Third, decent active monitors are not cheap.

The reason why I shy away from the HT-5 amp is because it's basically a Vjr with one distortion and eq pedal. For the $270 difference in the price of a HT-5 vs Vjr Head you could use that to build a pedalboard into the VJr. But the SCXD trumps either one of those amps in price, features, and sound. I own all three, so I have plenty of time to compare.

And I'll say this about the AC4 although I've never used one and it may be a great amp. All amps that you get your distortion tones from and don't have an FX loop will limit your ability to use distortion and heavy FX. If you start getting trippy with the mod/reverb/delay and still want heavy distortion you are going to be limited to some muddy sound. If you are a purest and only care about great tube tone and not about getting experimental then fine. But it's a point that a lot of people ignore when recommending an amp.
After thinking it over the vjr is sounding better and better I'm going to GC to try out all of the amps mentioned today. Just wanna kno wat pedals should I put in front of the vjr?
Quote by Sagemaster44
Just wanna kno wat pedals should I put in front of the vjr?
This is a question that can only be answered by you. Thus begins your journey. In the meantime I'll recommend a VS Jekyll & Hyde. It will give you a Tubescreamer and dark sounding Rat in one package. The Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive gets a lot of kudos for being cheap and sounding similar to the much more expensive Timmy OD. A Big Muff is a favorite of many including myself for a unique smooth fuzz.

Picking out distortion pedals is an experience in itself. Buying used is a big money saver, so keep your eye on Craigslist. I see lots of deals on pedals. Even eBay is good. I got my J&H for about $70 shipped from eBay.

BTW, don't get the combo unless you still intend to buy a cab. The combo cab and speaker don't cut it for decent tone. But it still can be useful to get the combo for times when you just want to tote the amp w/o the cab. Since it has speaker out jacks it can act as a head. And don't forget to give both the Fender Vibro and Super Champ XD a test.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 17, 2010,
If you are doubting the HT-5 is a tube amp, here's a quick read on the issue from a tech that had spoken with Blackstar:

"There has been a lively discussion in some forums about whether or not the Blackstar HT-5 is a hybrid amp since it has op-amps (solid state components) in the signal chain.

First of all, in my experience, a hybrid amp is one with a solid state preamp that provides some clipping with a tube power section. Many Peavey amps were made like this including the 160W, ear splitting, Marshall squashing Peavey Mace and the Peavey Heritage VTX series. Those amps had some great tone and were extremely loud. Certainly, too loud for most musicians but we loved them and the Marshall stacks in our bedrooms anyway when I was a kid. (Our neighbors and parents didn't though, but that was part of the fun.)

So, is the Blackstar a hybrid? I say it isn't in the "traditional" sense. Yes, the Blackstar does have some solid state components (op-amps) in the signal path. However, the solid state components DO NOT PROVIDE ANY CLIPPING. All signal clipping done by the Blackstar HT5 is done in the tube section and most of that is done in the preamp tube section.

I contacted Blackstar and corresponded with an engineer and he assured me that all clipping of the signal in the Blackstar HT-5 is only done in the tube section of the amp. So, while op-amps do amplify the signal to an extent, the clipping and most of the amplification is done through the tube section. So, while some SS components are in the signal path the amp doesn't do any clipping through it. That is a strong point, IMO. The Blackstar doesn't have a SS gain type of tone. It sounds like what it is: a tube amp with a tube preamp clipping the signal.

I'll bet many people have solid state components in their signal chain while using the Rebel, Mesa's, Marshalls, etc. As soon as you connect a compressor, a clean boost, a chorus, an EQ, or just about any pedal made today, you have solid state components in the signal path. If you use an OD pedal, you have solid state components (diodes or transistors, etc.) clipping the signal that's being amplified by your "all tube" amp.

Either way, the Blackstar doesn't clip the signal in the solid state components. All clipping is done by the tubes (mainly the preamp tube).

I corresponded with a Blackstar engineer about the circuitry inside the amp. One thing I was told, and he was very stubborn about it, was how clipping is done in the amp. Here is a quote from one of the emails about it.

"The HT-5 preamplifier is based on the HT-Dual pedal. As is the case in the
HT-Dual, we use solid-state circuits to provide "pre-gain" before the ECC83
valve. The diodes are part of this "pre-gain circuit" and are used to limit
the signal level being driven into the valve and hence maintain the correct
operating conditions for the valve in this application.

Most importantly, the valve is the last amplification (and clipping) device
in the signal chain and the overall gain structure is designed such that the
compression and harmonics you hear are generated solely from the valve
itself."

I see the HT-5 as a fairly mediocre amp on it's own. Kind of like my impressions of most of the JCM 2000 line. But when you hit it with a quality OD pedal the whole game changes, for the better.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Thanks for all your help guys!! I surely will try everything out and see what sounds best for me i guess today might be a NAD for me
Maker sure you get all the discounts. If you buy today, a Vjr and HT-5 head should be $104 and $264 respectively w/ no negotiation required. That's sale price minus the 20% dicount.

MF will price match, ship free, and probably charge no sales tax.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by Van Noord
If you are doubting the HT-5 is a tube amp, here's a quick read on the issue from a tech that had spoken with Blackstar:

"There has been a lively discussion in some forums about whether or not the Blackstar HT-5 is a hybrid amp since it has op-amps (solid state components) in the signal chain.

First of all, in my experience, a hybrid amp is one with a solid state preamp that provides some clipping with a tube power section. Many Peavey amps were made like this including the 160W, ear splitting, Marshall squashing Peavey Mace and the Peavey Heritage VTX series. Those amps had some great tone and were extremely loud. Certainly, too loud for most musicians but we loved them and the Marshall stacks in our bedrooms anyway when I was a kid. (Our neighbors and parents didn't though, but that was part of the fun.)

So, is the Blackstar a hybrid? I say it isn't in the "traditional" sense. Yes, the Blackstar does have some solid state components (op-amps) in the signal path. However, the solid state components DO NOT PROVIDE ANY CLIPPING. All signal clipping done by the Blackstar HT5 is done in the tube section and most of that is done in the preamp tube section.

I contacted Blackstar and corresponded with an engineer and he assured me that all clipping of the signal in the Blackstar HT-5 is only done in the tube section of the amp. So, while op-amps do amplify the signal to an extent, the clipping and most of the amplification is done through the tube section. So, while some SS components are in the signal path the amp doesn't do any clipping through it. That is a strong point, IMO. The Blackstar doesn't have a SS gain type of tone. It sounds like what it is: a tube amp with a tube preamp clipping the signal.

I'll bet many people have solid state components in their signal chain while using the Rebel, Mesa's, Marshalls, etc. As soon as you connect a compressor, a clean boost, a chorus, an EQ, or just about any pedal made today, you have solid state components in the signal path. If you use an OD pedal, you have solid state components (diodes or transistors, etc.) clipping the signal that's being amplified by your "all tube" amp.

Either way, the Blackstar doesn't clip the signal in the solid state components. All clipping is done by the tubes (mainly the preamp tube).

I corresponded with a Blackstar engineer about the circuitry inside the amp. One thing I was told, and he was very stubborn about it, was how clipping is done in the amp. Here is a quote from one of the emails about it.

"The HT-5 preamplifier is based on the HT-Dual pedal. As is the case in the
HT-Dual, we use solid-state circuits to provide "pre-gain" before the ECC83
valve. The diodes are part of this "pre-gain circuit" and are used to limit
the signal level being driven into the valve and hence maintain the correct
operating conditions for the valve in this application.

Most importantly, the valve is the last amplification (and clipping) device
in the signal chain and the overall gain structure is designed such that the
compression and harmonics you hear are generated solely from the valve
itself."

I see the HT-5 as a fairly mediocre amp on it's own. Kind of like my impressions of most of the JCM 2000 line. But when you hit it with a quality OD pedal the whole game changes, for the better.

the engineer basically said the opposite of what you think the ht5 is.
Well, this is my opinion of the amp;

Its great, its a really nice sound for the price it has. Though depending on the genre of music you play, it might not fit you that well. I found it to not fit me that well because the gain it had wasnt exactly what I was looking for, in my ears it was more rock/hard-rock than metall, but it had really nice cleans, as well as a nicesounding distortion. I'd invest in it if you weren't into playing a lot of metal/br00talZ music.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
Quote by AcousticMirror
the engineer basically said the opposite of what you think the ht5 is.
Where did I say what I thought the HT-5 is?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
oh nm my bad I though there was you saying something and then blackstar saying something.
I didn't realize it was all blackstar lies.
my bad.
but he definitely contradicts himself.
Quote by AcousticMirror
oh nm my bad I though there was you saying something and then blackstar saying something.
I didn't realize it was all blackstar lies.
my bad.
but he definitely contradicts himself.
He basically says there are solid state componants in the signal path, but none of them are used for clipping.
I've seen the inside of the HT-5 and a lot of the ss parts are used in the emulated cab / headphone circuit.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I'm tempted to take my HT-5 apart, tap into the gain channel op-amp, and see if he's telling the truth.
i've seen the inside too. but i've also heard the od channel. that's a lot of gain for one 12ax7.
He says that there are op-amps before the first preamp tube that regulate the signal? that sounds like clipping to me. he says the 12ax7 is the last stage in the preamp. well that's fine but that doesn't really answer if there is transistor clipping before the 12ax7. Don't know unless someone like fly tests it.

I just wish they would be more upfront in their advertisements.