I'm looking for something moody, dark and depressing. Like

The Cure
Opeth
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Nick Drake

Not overly metallic stuff, I'm trying to get a bit away from that kind. Soft, brooding and acoustic stuff, synth work and sorrowful atmosphere is what I'm looking for.

If you can illuminate me with your recommendations, It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
In Mourning - hands down one of the best up and coming bands from Sweden.
Green Carnation
Riverside
Porcupine Tree
Katatonia
Also - my band, Amaeven is symphonic metal/progressive rock with lots of synth, metal elements, heavily inspired by Pink Floyd, and Opeth. Link is below and I also have the songs up in my UG profile.

Just a few ideas above, my last.fm page has a lots of stuff you should check out if thats what you want to listen to - http://www.last.fm/user/jdlr18
Quote by JJ2003
Green Carnation
Riverside
Porcupine Tree
Katatonia
Also - my band, Amaeven is symphonic metal/progressive rock with lots of synth, metal elements, heavily inspired by Pink Floyd, and Opeth. Link is below and I also have the songs up in my UG profile.

Just a few ideas above, my last.fm page has a lots of stuff you should check out if thats what you want to listen to - http://www.last.fm/user/jdlr18

I've heard about In Mourning, and of course I know about Steve Wilson and Jonas Renkse's magnificense :P

I'll check out your band, been looking for less known ones. Cheers mate!
Quote by ingames

I'll check out your band, been looking for less known ones. Cheers mate!

Maybe you know these guys, but I know they are not mainstream and all are talented--
"Lunatic Soul"
"Ghost Brigade"
"Agalloch"
"Amesoeurs"
"Ikuinen Kaamos" - I know they have a few songs up on last.fm for free,
"Nosound"
Quote by JJ2003
Green Carnation
Riverside
Porcupine Tree
Katatonia

Of these I know Agalloch and heard of Amesoeurs-French ain't they?
Thanks a lot, I've been trying to break away from the mainstream, but didn't know which way to go.

Dust is quite good as far as I've listened. One piece of advice, you could mute the background music completely on some occassions, to give in more dramatic dynamics.

Also, what does Amaeven mean?
Cheers again.
Quote by ingames

Also, what does Amaeven mean?
Cheers again.

Thanks for the advice, Im actually in the midst of recording a new track. I'll try and use your tip.

As far as I know, Amaeven means nothing. In fact, I came up with this name only a month ago and its already the top hit on Google if you type it in.

I was previously releasing music under my full name but I wanted an actual 'band name' which suited my style of music. I also wanted a word that was completely original. I sat on wikipedia just browsing articles and looking at keywords and I played around with them, re arranging letters, etc.

Mount Damavand was a link I clicked on. Mount Damavand Wikipedia

I first called myself Damavand but after a good nights sleep on it, I didnt like it the next morning. So I simply toyed around with the name.

drop the D's - Damavand becomes Amavan

I wanted it to be pronounced 'Ah-may-ven' (or at least try to get as close to that as possible) so i added the E, Amaeven.

Ta Da. Lol.

I'll send you the link for the new song once its out- thanks for listening.
How about Gary Numan/ Tubeway Army? For their time I guess they were progressive, they really influenced a lot of electronica bands and I you could make a case for them being one of the first electronica bands.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.