i'm just starting to learn Legato playing and was wondering if when you pick a note to start off a legato sequence does the sequence have to travel to lower strings.

For example:
G: ----------------*-7p5p4h5h7--
D: -4h5h7p5p4-*-----------------
A: -----------------------------------
E: -----------------------------------

(The * being where you change strings without picking the 7)

So can you do it like that or can it only be a downwards travel (being the opposite of the example (G to D))?
im not sure what you mean exactly, the wording is comfusing me, but generally you pick the first note when you change strings.

you can both ascend and/or descend the stings and/or the frets

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Well, if I've learned anything from Joe Satch, it's that when you use legato, you just go apeshit all over the place.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by deafening
im not sure what you mean exactly, the wording is comfusing me, but generally you pick the first note when you change strings.

you can both ascend and/or descend the stings and/or the frets

The lessons i'm using from John Petrucci shows that you pick a note on a string (G for example) then do some stuff on there then travel to a lower string (D for example) without picking. That's what i thought Legato was :s.
legato essentially extensive use of hammer ons and pull offs

i find picking the first note when you change strings just gives better tone

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Quote by Afroboy267
What i'm asking is is there a specific way you have to travel. Because i've only seen examples of travelling downwards.

No. No rules.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
You can do it either way really, it depends what sort of tone you want, what effect you want and so on.

If you want a really legato sound then the ideal is to not pick anything but it's also quite possible to just pick with very little attack. Of course you can heavily exaggerate the pick strokes as well to draw attention to the string changes for whatever reason.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.