Earlier today i posted a poll on bunch of different amps and well i've got the choices down to 2 amps.

A Mesa Stiletto Ace 50 watt combo for 800$
or a Mesa triple rectifier with a 1960 Cab for 1250$

I would like to know what are the differences between these 2 amps.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Jun 16, 2010,
Def the triple rec in terms of the high gain stuff. If you know how to tweak it you can definitely get the other tones out of it. Plus with the cab, you are getting one hell of a deal.
I would guess the triple Rec will sound a little more modern and punchy as it has the closed back cab with it.

The combo is most likely open back, which usually isn't as punchy or deffined as a closed back cab.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
just stick with the poll - another thread is not necessary imo.

okay, sorry :P. Thought if i started another one it would make it seems cleaner and easier to post on.

Quote by guitarmack1
Def the triple rec in terms of the high gain stuff. If you know how to tweak it you can definitely get the other tones out of it. Plus with the cab, you are getting one hell of a deal.

Thanks for your input man!

Quote by srob7001
I would guess the triple Rec will sound a little more modern and punchy as it has the closed back cab with it.

The combo is most likely open back, which usually isn't as punchy or deffined as a closed back cab.

Hmm well i'm using a peavey vypyr which is open back and i like the sound.
I heard closed back is good for low end on high gain things but bad for clean?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
if you're playing _____core or just extreme metal in general, go rectifier

i vote stilleto for anything else. i tried a number of rectifiers before buying my amp, i disliked all of them. kinda harsh and messy. aggressive, for sure though.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Woah, a Triple Rec with that cab is an amazing deal, get that!
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by wyldeshredder
if you're playing _____core or just extreme metal in general, go rectifier

i vote stilleto for anything else. i tried a number of rectifiers before buying my amp, i disliked all of them. kinda harsh and messy. aggressive, for sure though.

Well Can the stiletto do ____core though?

Maybe with a pedal if not by it self?

Quote by mcjosh
Woah, a Triple Rec with that cab is an amazing deal, get that!

yea i know . I'm in a delima. The triple rec is a very nice deal. I'm pretty much getting a free cab, but then again i think it will be too loud as i play small gigs and mostly band practice with me playing at home.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
If thats the case don't get the MESA Trip REC...they are LOUD!!!
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Well I voted stiletto in the poll and still think that.
Also, I hear quite a lot that Mesas sound bad through the 1960 cab. No personal experience but worth researching
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
hmm okay. I'm leaning more towards the Stiletto, but i hope its nothing something i will look back on.

Again though cant they do metal?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by wyldeshredder
i tried a number of rectifiers before buying my amp, i disliked all of them. kinda harsh and messy. aggressive, for sure though.

Were they 2 channel Rectos? Because the difference is like night and day IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think you can make any amp do metal.

I have a V22 (vintage voiced) 22 watt combo, but with a tube screamer, 10 band eq, and plugged into a 4x12 cab it can easily do metal...not super high gain, but normal metal. CoB, Slayer, Megadeath, etc...
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
hmm okay.
Well 311ZOSOVHJH was telling me that he likes stiletto until he read the reviews on forum. Is there something wrong with the amp?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
hmm okay.
Well 311ZOSOVHJH was telling me that he likes stiletto until he read the reviews on forum. Is there something wrong with the amp?

I'm not saying the amp sucks but here were two tid bits I found while searching...albeit the Splawn boards

"UGH.... Man, I don't know about the Stiletto. I've tried a few different ones through a few different Mesa cabs, & I always thought they sounded like sh!t. Really spongy, loose, & thin. They just sound flubby. Also, they sound even worse at low volumes than my QR does without the loop volume engaged.

I'm not doubting that the Stiletto's have better cleans that Splawns so, as most Mesa's that I've played had really good cleans... But damn, The gain channel sounds like a Peavey Bandit sitting next to the Splawn. I also don't understand the comment about the Stiletto having more gain than the Splawn. The Stiletto's I've played had far less gain than my QR.

For fooks sake, try a Stiletto before you buy. It has to be my least favorite Mesa amp I've played. "

"Boogies are what they are, and having been a "strictly Boogie guy" for years, I prefer my QR to any Boogie I've owned and/or played, which would include darn near every model but the Road King and a few of the combo's and short run models like the "F" series, Nomad, etc. I never owned a Stiletto, but one of my former band members did (Stiletto Deuce) and I got to play through it quite a bit and heard it on a regular basis while he was with us. I guess I'd say it's probably the closest Boogie comes to the Marshall type sound, but it still sounds more like a Boogie to me. For some that can be a good thing. Boogies tend to have more compression and front end saturation which means they're also quite a bit more forgiving. The trade off there is a tendency to get lost in the mix at times when playing w/another guitarist who may be playing through an amp that's tighter, more focussed and more articulate. Like, let's say..... a Quick Rod. One thing I noticed with the Boogies was their tendency to get loose and, I don't know if this is the best description, but mushy when turned up to gig volume. I would often have a good tone at a low to moderate volume, but when we played a gig and turned things up a couple notches, it just lost it's mojo. I don't have this problem with my QR. It sounds good at any volume, and even when I get the opportunity to crank it up for a good sized outdoor gig, all that tone and definition is still there. BTW... my buddy wound up selling his Stiletto and picked up a Lone Star, says he likes it better. Oh well... to each his own! "
oh okay thanks. That helpd out more.

I was watching the comparison video with the splawn nitro and mesa Rectifier and i prefered the mesa. It sounded thicker to me more low end bassy gain, but that is just my opinion. Also as MC mentioned i'm talking about the 2 channel one not 3
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
I've played both with the same guitars before - I way more prefer the Rectifier over the Stiletto. Also, the Stilletto vs. my Bugera 333XL, the 333XL is louder by far, and the Rectifier has to be even louder given I make the walls of the store shake when playing one at 0.001 on the volume knob.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
so yea i cant make a decision

Which one has a better resale value incase i get tired of it?

Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
I've played both with the same guitars before - I way more prefer the Rectifier over the Stiletto. Also, the Stilletto vs. my Bugera 333XL, the 333XL is louder by far, and the Rectifier has to be even louder given I make the walls of the store shake when playing one at 0.001 on the volume knob.

that sounds awesome and bad for me lol. It seems too loud but maybe i could just get a attenuator
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
oh okay thanks. That helpd out more.

I was watching the comparison video with the splawn nitro and mesa Rectifier and i prefered the mesa. It sounded thicker to me more low end bassy gain, but that is just my opinion. Also as MC mentioned i'm talking about the 2 channel one not 3

This is thick and bassy to me and it is not even a Nitro
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play846346

I realize it may be a bit out of budget and I love Mesa's too so I'm done high-jacking your thread now
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This is thick and bassy to me and it is not even a Nitro
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play846346

I realize it may be a bit out of budget and I love Mesa's too so I'm done high-jacking your thread now

haha yea that is very bassy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SZvutcHV9g

This is the video where i thought the mesa sounded more thicker and better. Although it is a 3 channel one.

P.S if i were to get a Splawn which would you recommend the nitro or QR?

for now though they are out of my budget

My budget is no more than 1300$

I dont know what your gain is set at but i feel like i would like more gain. I'm considering putting a Tube screamer or a Maxon OD808 in front of the mesa to clean it up and get it tighter
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
^ ha ha

I had not seen that demo yet. Actually I thought the Splawn sounded better but of course I'm biased.

Is your budget of $1300 the total including a possible cab?

I see Splawns on craigslist all the time in the $800 - $1200 range.
http://instrument.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?cat=msg&itm=splawn&fil=&state=&ps=&pe=&submit=+GO+

Use the link in my sig to research and find gear no matter what you end up doing.

As far as the Splawns go, the Nitro will have more low end and is voiced more modern. That said, the Quick Rod has plenty of low end of modern voice for me. A big part of it will be the tubes and cab you chose. I'm running Mullard EL34 PTs and JJ preamps (darker sounding tubes) into a 212 closed back with Celestions. The only Splawn I would not consider is the Super Stock and the Street Rod. The rest are all variations of the Quick Rod in the end.

That KSE clip was stock no pedals but I don't remember the gain setting. Post 1:00 is where the modern gain structure comes in. Some of my other clips (Rough Day, Death March, Nasties) have the gain cranked up pretty good with boost pedals and sometimes a Big Muff.

I'm not the greatest player as you can tell but I also have so low gain (Froosh/Zoso) and some clean clips (Boston tone) as well.

Actually, just take MatrixClaw's advice. He's owned a Splawn Nitro, Mesa Roadking, 5150, and whole bunch of other stuff so...

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ ha ha

I had not seen that demo yet. Actually I thought the Splawn sounded better but of course I'm biased.

Is your budget of $1300 the total including a possible cab?

I see Splawns on craigslist all the time in the $800 - $1200 range.
http://instrument.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?cat=msg&itm=splawn&fil=&state=&ps=&pe=&submit=+GO+

Use the link in my sig to research and find gear no matter what you end up doing.

As far as the Splawns go, the Nitro will have more low end and is voiced more modern. That said, the Quick Rod has plenty of low end of modern voice for me. A big part of it will be the tubes and cab you chose. I'm running Mullard EL34 PTs and JJ preamps (darker sounding tubes) into a 212 closed back with Celestions. The only Splawn I would not consider is the Super Stock and the Street Rod. The rest are all variations of the Quick Rod in the end.

That KSE clip was stock no pedals but I don't remember the gain setting. Post 1:00 is where the modern gain structure comes in. Some of my other clips (Rough Day, Death March, Nasties) have the gain cranked up pretty good with boost pedals and sometimes a Big Muff.

I'm not the greatest player as you can tell but I also have so low gain (Froosh/Zoso) and some clean clips (Boston tone) as well.

Actually, just take MatrixClaw's advice. He's owned a Splawn Nitro, Mesa Roadking, 5150, and whole bunch of other stuff so...

alright man thanks
yea 1300 with head+cab All i have 200$ but my parents say they are getting me this as a gift for doing good in school. So, i dont want them to have to spend a lot of money. They 1250 is fine for the mesa and MC recommends the Rectifier. I think i will stick with the Rectifier and once i have money i'll save up for a two rock or splawn or something.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
once i have money i'll save up for a two rock or splawn or something.

Two Rock = Blues tones (Dumble Clones). Don't think that's what you're looking for... Plus they're like $5000+

Seriously, $1250 for that halfstack is a good deal. I like the Stilettos, but IMO, the Recto will do the high gain much better, since that's what you're mostly focusing on. It can do the lighter stuff as well, maybe not as good as the Stiletto, but that's mainly because the Stiletto is voiced differently.

Also, 311 - Where are you seeing Splawns for $800? Cause I'll take 3.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
XDD yea if a splawn was for 800 i would be all over that too.

Oh i knew the two rock was for more blues. I've been getting into a bit of blue playing more
but i didnt know that it was 5000$ buhjezususdf

well the Rectifier it is!

This is the one time in my life where i wish summer break was over(the guy who is selling me the amp isnt back till summer ends)
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Yeah, that is a good deal for half stack. I'd do if I was in your shoes.

What do you mean....you have to wait until the end of summer before you have it? Make sure you do a proper NAD

I saw a Pro Mod for $800 but I didn't realize it was on eBay and not Craigslist, so it will go up. Still.
I lovvvvve Stilettos, I wanted one for a while, But I ended up getting a Road King because I got a retardedly amazing deal on it.

The Triple Rec is probably a great deal, But also ask yourself if you truly need that much power? And yes, This is coming from a Road King owner.

The Stiletto will also be lighter in weight most likely.

I think Stilettos are pretty great, All you have/need is your clean and your dirty.

I basically have my Road King setup as two Stilettos. lol
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
didnt know people posted on this woops.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, that is a good deal for half stack. I'd do if I was in your shoes.

What do you mean....you have to wait until the end of summer before you have it? Make sure you do a proper NAD

I saw a Pro Mod for $800 but I didn't realize it was on eBay and not Craigslist, so it will go up. Still.

I have to wait till summer because the guy who is selling me the rectifier is out of town. He will be back at the end up summer and then i can go and buy it.

I cant wait to do a NAD, it will be my first one. I'm excited!!!

Quote by Benguitar2
I lovvvvve Stilettos, I wanted one for a while, But I ended up getting a Road King because I got a retardedly amazing deal on it.

The Triple Rec is probably a great deal, But also ask yourself if you truly need that much power? And yes, This is coming from a Road King owner.

The Stiletto will also be lighter in weight most likely.

I think Stilettos are pretty great, All you have/need is your clean and your dirty.

I basically have my Road King setup as two Stilettos. lol

I may not need to power, but i think it will be nice to have just incase. Plus i think it will be worth it because of the deal i'm getting. If i end up not liking it i will just sell it.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit