Not going to go into every single detail/aspect of this but to make a long story short I have been in the market for a new/used acoustic for quite some time. I bought the Dean because it sounded better than the Yamaha I owned and swapped. But now looking for a guitar that really carries a note/chord: it really rings when you hit it. I found that in my guitar teacher's Taylor and I mention that because that is the brand he is pushing me to get. The thing is I am yet to find the sound I want in a Taylor (his aside), there are models that come close but not really there and they are over a grand. Well several days ago I found the sound in two guitars: Yamaha 700 model and a Martin (forget the model). The Yamaha was only $250 and the Martin was $900. But wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do; so I called my guitar teacher. Now keep in mind this guy is stuck in the thinking to get the best of everything (not just in music), but I am not so sure I agree. Well he is basically pushing or/and advising me to go Taylor for they have a higher re-sale value. In short if you come to a day you want to sell it, he believes you will get more money for it. While he may be right or could be wrong, I don't think that way and not sure if I want to. So asking all of you, what is your thinking when you shop for a guitar?
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
i think you should get a guitar that sounds the best to you and plays the best because in the end its all for u not anyone else so **** there opinions
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
More often than not, the more expensive guitars (of certain brands) are going to have a much higher resale value. Normally the high-end Martins have some wonderful resale value if he decide to get rid of it down the road.

While it can normally be said that the more expensive a guitar is, the better it is, you can find examples where this isn't always the case. If the Martin is new, it's probably one of the X series guitars, or possible even a 1 series that just has a good tag on it.

Yamaha makes very good guitars, especially when you're looking at a budget guitar.

In the end, all I can say is that you should go with the guitar that sounds and plays best for you. I normally wouldn't consider getting a Martin until you start getting up into the 15 series, or so, which is where they start pushing to $1500+. While the X and 1 series are both good instruments, I believe the 15 series and up are the ones that really offer that sound that sets them apart from other guitars.

So, my advice... If the Yamaha sounds just as good as that Martin, get the Yamaha. They have very good build quality for what they are; and you could use the money you save to go towards something else.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Resale value is at rock bottom on my list, and this is coming from a Taylor owner. Better re-sale value is not a trait of Taylor guitars, thats just dumb. It varies from model to model, brand to brand, buyer to buyer, and seller to seller.

I do always have live playing practicality in mind when I buy any piece of gear or guitar, which is one of the reasons I love the ES system. In a loud, live, full band situation it's the top dog in terms of feedback resistance, its ability to cut through, and it's tone (although the tone part is subjective, the first 2 factors are pretty solid).

Then after I establish the live practicality of something it comes down to how good it actually sounds and plays.

Last, its looks. Yeah looks are important to me and ties in with the importance of playing live as well. I dont care if a guitar sounds better than anythinng else in the world, if its shaped like a large mouth bass or has a Pokemon on it, I'm not gonna buy it because that's retarded.

Oh, I will also admit to being partial to certain brands. What catches my eye first at stores or what do I look for first? Taylor and Gibson Acoustics, G&L and Fender electrics. I've played so much stuff from so many brands that I've come to know what I WANT and EXPECT and that's why after years of trial and error I can justify being this kind of shopper. I'm also at the point where "entry level" anything doesn't cross my mind twice.

I dabble with other brands when I see something that interests me, but not that often anymore.

As far as your teacher saying "go for the best of the best" that really depends on your level of interest, your realistic budget, and if you find something in the so called "best of the best" area that actually sounds good to YOU. Your sound might come from a $40 yard sale acoustic and you'd never know it unless you went out and played it. That brings me to my last point...you dont ALWAYS know what you're looking for so you wont know it until you hear it and the only way to do that is to go out and play guitars.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
i recommend not getting a more expensive guitar till YOU can hear the differences between more expensive and less expensive. costing doesn't mean it will be the guitar for you. an example - i like the sound of a taylor 114 better than the 314, a lot better, actually. and i like the sound of just about any blueridge or the seagull s6 more than the 114, even though the 114 costs more.

for that matter, i played a couple $7000 froggy bottoms that sounded worse to me than a $300 yamaha, yet some people swear that froggy bottom guitars are the best guitars around. and while i have to admit that they are very well made, to me the two i played - which were brand new, btw - sounded really crappy.

whereas goodalls, usually over $4500, are some of the best sounding guitars i've ever played. in fact, i didn't know a guitar could sound so rich till i played some goodalls.

btw, you might want to try a yamaha fg730s as it's warmer than the 700, and definitely try the seagull s6. if you're lucky enough to live by a store that sells blueridge guitars, definitely give them a shot, too - imo they don't make a bad sounding guitar, although i like some more than others. another brand i really recommend you try is guild - they make some guitars in their GAD series that are awesome bang for the buck, all solid and sound great. try the GAD-D25 and if you like a little smaller guitar with lots of tone, the GAD-30.
It's a very good feeling to have a guitar that you love.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
I suggest you try to find a guitar that has a good feel to it, and a sound that works with what you have before you look at just price.

More then likely, your teacher's tone sounds good because his guitar aged along with his playing style, and sounds best that way. After a while, all midrange guitars sound really nice.

But like most will say, no two guitars are the same. Even if you happen to find the same exact model your teacher has, it might not sound half as good as his. Just play around, find something comfortable as well as decent sounding.

If all this goes to hell, look up greenfield guitars, or another guitarmaker's guitars and get one customized. You can't go wrong there if you have the money to spend on them.
The price tells you exactly one thing about a guitar: how much you pay to get it in your hands. Nothing more, nothing less.

None of my gear was particularly expensive. In terms of resale value, probably the most valuable instrument I own is a Martin ukulele. One of my favorites, an old Yamaha toy keyboard, has a resale value of approximately $0. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me either way; I buy instruments to play them, not sell them.

Guitar-wise, I've found my Seagull Entourage holds its own next to Martins, Taylors... you name it. It's very much a guitar with its own personality, and it's not the sound for everyone, but I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. The only complaint I have with it is that the fingerboard radius is a little flat, but that's more personal preference than anything else, and the beautiful, warm, ringing tone more than makes up for it.
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
It's a very good feeling to have a guitar that you love.

+ a freakin hundred. get the guitar you click with. research the crap out of them first. that yamaha is most likely not solid wood, but sadly even at $900 the martin might not be either. get the model numbers and look them up. but when you sit down to play if you just click with the yamaha and not the martin then do what you think is best. getting a great guitar just to have a great guitar doesn't mean anything if you don't pick it up to play it. just my two cents
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Lot of good advice. Play as many as you can, back off, play some that you really like after a day or two, if it still sings to you that is the one.
A lot of times you are paying for the name on the headstock, also I am firm believer in stripped down guitars versus ones with a lot of decorations and such, to me they sound more natural and resonate nicer. Neither of the guitars I own now have passed $300 mark when I originally bought them, with a little bit of work like bone saddles, setup and better strings they all sound real nice and can keep up with nicer instruments, no problem. They are also very playable.

Some people might not like it but I have gone ahead and finally got me a 1.9" nut width steel string guitar (on the cheap), I love wider necks with my ogre hands, also they are real nice for the finger style.
This is what I did:
Bought me Seagull 12 stringer on the cheap, screaming deal.
Had a custom bone nut made with 6 slots that were spaced further apart compared with the original 12 slot nut, new bone saddle, set up with medium P/B strings. Extra tuners were taken off, no rattling etc. Plays real well, mediums put decent amount of tension on the soundboard and she sings.
All this compared to buying Blueridge BR 341 I was considering - $750 retail.
I got about half that in my current set up and I am loving it.

Sorry for such a long post, but there are ways around spending a fortune and still getting your money's worth and enjoying the lower end instruments.
I think it is really important to have a pre decided budget when you go and buy a guitar. In every shop i went to buy my guitar there were lots of nice guitars smiling at me. But i had a budget i wanted to spend. I first asked the shopmanager for the guitars that i could effort. From that point i took them one by one and i played on it. After one hour there was one guitar that i really loved. So I agree on previous posts. A guitar is good if you like to play it. If it feels good and it sounds good, then that is the guitar for you!
that's how i did it for years. as a result, i never heard the really high quality guitars. a year and a half ago, my husband started pushing me to play the more expensive guitars, and what do ya know - in only a year and a half, i've redefined what sounds and feels go to me. playing really good guitars have changed everything for me.

when you play the guitars in your price range, then play the good stuff, and then go back to the best of the ones you could afford, you'll find that there's one or two that aren't disappointing even when you play them after the goodalls, high end gibsons and martins, r. taylors, huss and daltons and so on. those one or two are the ones to revisit a few times, then make your move.

Quote by Guitar_VaDeBo
I think it is really important to have a pre decided budget when you go and buy a guitar. In every shop i went to buy my guitar there were lots of nice guitars smiling at me. But i had a budget i wanted to spend. I first asked the shopmanager for the guitars that i could effort. From that point i took them one by one and i played on it. After one hour there was one guitar that i really loved. So I agree on previous posts. A guitar is good if you like to play it. If it feels good and it sounds good, then that is the guitar for you!
Don't set your heart and mind on a make of guitar. Go to a big guitar shop and play every acoustic that appeals in looks to you. You'll eventually find one that looks and sounds nice. I did that. I got a Takamine EG523SC. It cost me £350. They go up to £500. It wasn't cuz I was on a budget. I had a budget of £900. It was just this guitar looked stunning. Sounded amazing. I compared it to several Martins and Taylors and I much preferred the Tak.