So I want to gain some experience at building pedals and just working with electronics in general. I figured a nice starting project would be to build a volume pedal.

I have a generic dunlop wah that I don't use anymore. Does anyone have any experience turning one of these into a volume pedal? Can I use the 100k pot already found in the pedal? Any tips/feedback would be great, thanks!
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
all you have to do is pull 1 piece out... if you wanna make a project of it, make it so that your pedal is a wah/volume pedal by means of flicking a switch

Quote by wah-wah.co.uk
Wah-Volume pedal mod Lifting the earth connection of the 4.7µF capacitor will cancel the wah effect and leave you with a volume pedal. The wah circuit will thin out the tone in volume mode - to get around this, the '70s Jen Wah-Volume pedal switches in a 4K7 resistor and 0.22µF cap in series across the 0.01µF "sweep cap". This isn't a very useful mod in practice; if the pot is set to get a good wah sweep, it won't go silent in volume mode, and if it's set up to kill the volume, there won't be enough treble in the wah.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by theGlitch
all you have to do is pull 1 piece out... if you wanna make a project of it, make it so that your pedal is a wah/volume pedal by means of flicking a switch

I already pulled out that resistor a few months ago. It doesn't give you the effect that I'm looking for. It doesn't kill the volume all the way with the hell back and with the toe down it actually boosts the signal a little.

I did see a schematic online for adding a switch to get a volume pedal. It'll be a it more challenging, but I think I might go for it.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
step 1: rip out guts of pedal
step 2: attach input to wiper of wah pot
step 3: ground low side of wah pot
step 4: attach output to high side of wah pot
step 5: there is no step 5

this is basicly going to act exactly like the volume knob on your guitar. adding a cap across the lugs like you would do to prevent treble bleed on your guitar volume knob is a good idea here. you could also add in a buffer, which i personally reccomend.
Quote by jof1029
step 1: rip out guts of pedal
step 2: attach input to wiper of wah pot
step 3: ground low side of wah pot
step 4: attach output to high side of wah pot
step 5: there is no step 5

this is basicly going to act exactly like the volume knob on your guitar. adding a cap across the lugs like you would do to prevent treble bleed on your guitar volume knob is a good idea here. you could also add in a buffer, which i personally reccomend.

does this mean that the switch used to activate the wah is going to be pretty much useless now? How can I incorporate the switch into the circuit? Also, would you care to explain what "passive" means in this case? Or do you have a link that explains it? Sorry if these are all really basic questions, but I don't know anything about working with electronics.

EDIT: nevermind about my "passive" question. I found the answer. I am wondering about the input/output jacks though. They each have six different connections. Does it matter which pin I connect the wires to?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Last edited by psychokiller99 at Jun 16, 2010,
switches? we dont need no stinkin switches!

ahem, yeah, didnt really think of that. i just figured all the way toe down was good enough.
this if you want an LED
this if you dont
from this article
if you arent building a buffer into the pedal, i wouldnt bother with an LED since it means you would have to add power just for that. with a buffer, i figure you might as well add the LED since you will have power anyway.

as for the jacks, they shouldnt have 6 connections. you got a pic? i would think they have 3 each, but sometimes surface mount jacks look like they have 6. or fully enclosed ones sometimes do as well. for a non powered pedal, you just need the tip and ring connections on your jack. tip goes where it shows in the pics, and ring goes to ground. with a powered pedal, output jack just needs tip and ring. input can use the sleeve so it only turns on when a cable is plugged in. simple to do, ill give you a sketch if you decide to go that route.

until then, ive got a few links for you to check out so hopefully they help.
Now, why do people do the input jack thing? I came up with a wiring that just disconnects the power source when the pedal is off, so that automatically turns off the LED. It really isn't that hard, saves battery life, and if you are someone like me, who never unplugs their bedroom setups, helps a lot.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Really if pedal companies used 4PDT instead of 3PDT the last column could just be 9V on/off, therefore eliminating the need to unplug pedals, just turn them off.

Their reasoning however is valid since if you tend to leave your pedals/board always plugged in, chances are you're running a 9V power supply opposed to batteries which can simply be switched off.
Quote by psychokiller99
I already pulled out that resistor a few months ago. It doesn't give you the effect that I'm looking for. It doesn't kill the volume all the way with the hell back and with the toe down it actually boosts the signal a little.

I did see a schematic online for adding a switch to get a volume pedal. It'll be a it more challenging, but I think I might go for it.

Can you give me a link to that schematic??
If you disconnect and reconnect the power when switching on an effect, you increase the chances of popping noises.

TS: To get a volume pedal out of your wah, you'll need a dpdt switch and a capacitor from .033uF to .047uF. Attach the 4.7uF electrolytic capacitor to one pole so it acts as a spst for it, when the electrolytic is out of the circuit, wire it so that the cap you've chosen is in parallel with C1, the input cap, this helps keep bass when in volume mode.