Can anyone tell me if they recognise the parts used in this "custom" guitar:

looks like it may have an Ernie Ball musicman style neck due to the 4+2, but other than that I cannot specifically identify anything.
The body looks like it's selfmade, very small contours, Warmoth? The neck looks just like the ones used in Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. The FR is most likely some Licensed no name, dunno. Pickups look very DiMarzio. 2 switches, one for pickup change, the other for..? Killswitch? Preamp? -gasp- Piezo?
The whole package looks like its made to mimic Petrucci's Music Man, cept he doesnt have a FR nor the regular strat body.

I'm not much use but I hope I helped atleast a little..
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Thanks. It's the body that interests me, too. Is this likely to be a Warmouth type body, do you reckon?

Quote by guitarmack1
looks like it may have an Ernie Ball musicman style neck due to the 4+2, but other than that I cannot specifically identify anything.
Quote by Nostoi
Thanks. It's the body that interests me, too. Is this likely to be a Warmouth type body, do you reckon?

Yea if it is a personally built kit guitar or scraped together you can bet it is warmoth
Thanks - that's good. Yes, they are Dimzario pickups from what I gather. The guitar is supposedly made by a "fine Lutherian." Does that sound plausible?

Any very rough ideas on the value of this guitar?

Quote by Lewadra
The body looks like it's selfmade, very small contours, Warmoth? The neck looks just like the ones used in Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. The FR is most likely some Licensed no name, dunno. Pickups look very DiMarzio. 2 switches, one for pickup change, the other for..? Killswitch? Preamp? -gasp- Piezo?
The whole package looks like its made to mimic Petrucci's Music Man, cept he doesnt have a FR nor the regular strat body.

I'm not much use but I hope I helped atleast a little..
I have no personal experience about Warmoth but the quality of the body is kinda lacking. Might be made like intentionally, might have seriously gotten worn in use, dunno, but considering Warmoths huge prices, I don't think that quality matches their prices so I kinda doubt it.
Still, quite possibly made by Warmoth or some alike, maybe it's just worn in use.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic

The value is hard to determine without getting to actually touch and try it, it's the build quality that matters with customs, you can always install fancy parts into cheap factory guitars but you can't change the build quality.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic

The body is described as "Black Limba," which I understand to be quite good. Hard to say, however.

Quote by Lewadra
I have no personal experience about Warmoth but the quality of the body is kinda lacking. Might be made like intentionally, might have seriously gotten worn in use, dunno, but considering Warmoths huge prices, I don't think that quality matches their prices so I kinda doubt it.
Still, quite possibly made by Warmoth or some alike, maybe it's just worn in use.
The only thing on that guitar that could be from Warmoth is the neck. I don't know that body wood, but it doesn't look like any wood that Warmoth offers on their bodies and certainly not a 3-piece body like that.

The neck could be, but I doubt it. The person would have had to do the headstock shaping themselves because Warmoth doesn't offer a Music Man style headstock.

The bridge looks like some licensed thing off ebay but the pickups do look like Dimarzios.

Probably 1 vol/1 tone, 3-way toggle (neck-both-bridge), and the mini-toggle could be for something like coil tapping or phase switching.

If the person claims it's made by a luthier, it's probably one that a local luthier made. I see those from time to time.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Jun 16, 2010,
According to a lumber site, Black Limba is pretty expensive, not very common but used in a lot of musical instruments. Should be great wood.

EDIT. It's more commonly known as Korina I think...
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic

Last edited by Lewadra at Jun 16, 2010,
Oh! Lutherian! Sorry, I instantly thought of the religious sect. Wow, that makes more sense now.

Anyway, here's the description (It's from an ad, and I'm trying to gauge quality/value):

"Left handed Crafted Guitar
Black Limba body
Two piece flame maple neck
Dimarzio pickups
Licensed Floyd rose bridge
Handsome Oil finish (as opposed to Laquer)

Expertly made by a fine Lutherian.
A few scrapes and nicks here and there.
All parts of the highest quality."

Any thoughts?

Quote by Pac_man0123
The only thing on that guitar that could be from Warmoth is the neck. I don't know that body wood, but it doesn't look like any wood that Warmoth offers on their bodies and certainly not a 3-piece body like that.

The neck could be, but I doubt it. The person would have had to do the headstock shaping themselves because Warmoth doesn't offer a Music Man style headstock.

The bridge looks like some licensed thing off ebay but the pickups do look like Dimarzios.

Probably 1 vol/1 tone, 3-way toggle (neck-both-bridge), and the mini-toggle could be for something like coil tapping or phase switching.

If the person claims it's made by a luthier, it's probably one that a local luthier made. I see those from time to time.