Hello UG. I traded my Mesa Boogie for a Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reiss and a Relic strat with a 70's reiss USA neck.

This is a good combination with the style of music i'm drifting towards at this point. However, I haven't bought a distortion pedal in ages and I really didn't know wtf was going on when I was buying them 6 years ago.

What are some good distortion pedals to buy for a Gilmour-esque style lead tone? I might look into getting another fuzz pedal as well but I've sworn away from Big Muff/Fender Blender fuzzes.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I plan on only spending about $100 maybe a bit more.
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off
That sounds pretty badass! $175 though

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
an Ibanez TS808 or Maxon 808 would be a great addition to any rig. Big Muff might be cool as well.
you could try out the devi ever 'hyperion'.
It's less tweakable so maybe it's a bit too aggressive, but can't say for sure since I never tried one myself.
EH Metal Muff. don't let the name scare you the pedal has a great range from overdrive tones to shred distortion. kinda has that 70s violin tone to it. i play a strat as well and use a Crate V32 amp which is no metal machine for sure. i've had great results. i used the pedal to record direct (see Project 7 in my profile) with decent results. best distortion pedal i've had so far ( and i've had tons over the years)
^ (above) I've kind of sworn off EHX pedals. I've never been able to get a good sound out of the ones i've owned. But I will definitely try one out at the shop and see if it's any better.

I think i'm going to go with a fuzz pedal. I'm kind of getting back to my alternative roots lately. I want to make some spacey Smashing Pumpkins-esque style stuff. Even though they used the pedals that I absolutely hated.

Has anyone tried the ProCo Rat or reissue Fuzzface? I'm more open to out-there brands as long as I can find one and try it out first.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by Inbleach
^ (above) I've kind of sworn off EHX pedals. I've never been able to get a good sound out of the ones i've owned. But I will definitely try one out at the shop and see if it's any better.

I think i'm going to go with a fuzz pedal. I'm kind of getting back to my alternative roots lately. I want to make some spacey Smashing Pumpkins-esque style stuff. Even though they used the pedals that I absolutely hated.

Has anyone tried the ProCo Rat or reissue Fuzzface? I'm more open to out-there brands as long as I can find one and try it out first.

i'd say it's damn near impossible not to be able to get a good tone out of a MM. i had a Rat back in the 80s and they aren't bad. you may also want to try Detalab's distortion pedals, not expensive and good sound.
also if you can get past hating EHX the zipper distortion pedal is pretty awesome. My friend has one and it sounded awesome. probably didn't hurt that i was playing a mesa triple rec though
Gilmour primarily used a Fuzz Face on his lead tones until 1975, and from 77 on used a Big Muff for all his leads. Depends on which era you like more; I'm a fan of his Animals tone, so I'd go with a Big Muff, but it can't hurt to have both.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?