Page 1 of 2
Hey,

Recently I've been practising alot with my band, and reaching around 8 or 9 hours playing time a day. And on my left hand (fretting), theres this really big lump next to my thumb and a smaller one next to that. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea of what it is?

Thanks,
Ellis.
I dunno mate, but I think 9 hours of playing a day is putting alot of pressure on your hand. Perhaps relaxing your hand a bit and not playing that much will help?
I don't think it's a muscle, because your finger muscles are in the wrist, not the hand. Dont' take my word for anything though.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Its not a muscle cos all the finger muscles are up in your forearm. No idea what it is though.
Quote by ellis.c266
Here are the pictures. Also it doesn't hurt at all.

Ellis.

Blurry photos, no pain?

Definitely cancer.
The Pit isn't a doctor.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
The Pit isn't a doctor.

No, but its a place full of guitarist, which is what i need.
My hand has that as well pretty sure it is normal and nothing to worry to about.
I punch the clown left-handed though so who knows.
stretch beforehand.

or what i like to do is play bass for 5 mins, then acoustic guitar for 5 mins, then electric guitar for the rest of the time.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
We loved you man, farewell. Rest in peace.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I have that on both hands. It's nothing.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Looks like a ganglion cyst to me. It's pretty much a bunch of liquid crap built up in that bulge. The thing doesn't hurt, but it's BAD news if it bursts. You might want to get it surgically removed.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Thought medical threads were banned?
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

that's just muscle, nothing wrong with it. I got it from doing lots and lots of rock climbing. Other known sports that result in growth of this muscle are tennis and fapping.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by TSmitty6
stretch beforehand.

or what i like to do is play bass for 5 mins, then acoustic guitar for 5 mins, then electric guitar for the rest of the time.

I do, I have this exercise I do before playing, and this little tool I use to make sure I'm stretched.
Tbh, I think it could just be muscle. I've been playing alot of funk lately, so pressing by thumb against the back of the neck to get the stacato feel, but I dunno, none of my guitar playing friends have this.
Quote by ellis.c266
Tbh, I think it could just be muscle. I've been playing alot of funk lately, so pressing by thumb against the back of the neck to get the stacato feel, but I dunno, none of my guitar playing friends have this.

That's because it IS just muscle.

Trust me, I'm a biologist.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender

Thank you I will
Quote by the bartender

The closest thing to a doctor The Pit has seen.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Meh, I have the same thing. It's just the muscle by your index finger, it happens when you practice.

If I'm correct, right there is usually sore after extended/hard practice sessions. That's just the muscle.

Quote by ellis.c266

Your friends don't practice enough.

Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by the bartender

I haven't looked at the pictures, but there are no muscles whatsoever in the fingers.

Edit: okay i managed to get the pictures to work (i hate my internet...) and if I put my hand in the same position, it looks the same. It's the muscle for your thumb which controls 'closing' movements, i.e. holding the back of the neck when barring chords etc. Nothing to worry about. If there's no pain or discomfort it should be okay. Does the bulge stay there if you put your hands into a 'claw' position?
Last edited by Todd Hart at Jun 16, 2010,
i dont mean to alarm you or anything but that is a muscle you get from masturbation lolz
Quote by Todd Hart
I haven't looked at the pictures, but there are no muscles whatsoever in the fingers.

To bad that wasn't on his fingers. :\
Quote by -Mantra-
You should hit it with a Bible and see if it goes away. If it is ganglion cyst like the user above stated, it will go away. If its not, then... at least it was worth a try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

That's actually widely considered to be a bad thing to do.
I have the same thing.. it's just a muscle that bumps up when you lie your hand flat. Some people's are larger, some's aren't.
Quote by Todd Hart

Edit: okay i managed to get the pictures to work (i hate my internet...) and if I put my hand in the same position, it looks the same. It's the muscle for your thumb which controls 'closing' movements, i.e. holding the back of the neck when barring chords etc. Nothing to worry about. If there's no pain or discomfort it should be okay. Does the bulge stay there if you put your hands into a 'claw' position?

*tried the 'claw' position* yeah.
Page 1 of 2