hey
im gonna sound like a complete tool, but Ive noticed artists like Jimi Hendrix and John Frusciante (i think mayer uses them) use this moveable chord shape. its kind of like an open f, but when i play an f chord further up the neck it sounds like shit

any help on what the chord shape is and a lesson that could help me learn them?
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
http://www.jamplay.com/images/chords/f-barre-chord-10.jpg
This?
It's just an F major. Hendrix, Frusciante, and Mayer wrap their thumb around the neck and play the thickest (E) string with their thumb, and they barre their 1st finger on the 2 skinniest (B and E) strings
EDIT: Nice strat build in your sig. Good Luck
EDIT2: The guy below me was right, the pic i posted, the real picturesare an F# major. Is that what you mean by open F?
Last edited by salgala2000 at Jun 16, 2010,
Actually... That chord you just showed was an F# Major... Not a F Major... And he's on about an OPEN F, not the BARRE F... Play an open Bb minor or something I think... Sorry, guitars in the other room and I can't be ****ed to go get it to work this out

Kidsan <3
Quote by salgala2000
It's just an F major. Hendrix, Frusciante, and Mayer wrap their thumb around the neck and play the thickest (E) string with their thumb, and they barre their 1st finger on the 2 skinniest (B and E) strings

What he said ^^^
Quote by Kierans239
Actually... That chord you just showed was an F# Major... Not a F Major... And he's on about an OPEN F, not the BARRE F... Play an open Bb minor or something I think... Sorry, guitars in the other room and I can't be ****ed to go get it to work this out

Kidsan <3

"open F" and barre F are the same thing, you're just not playing all the notes in the first one.

TS, they're just playing bog-standars E shape barre chords but using their thumb to fret the low E. Doing it that way frees up your index finger for fretting but you need pretty long fingers to access the whole fretboard...a lot of mortals struggle to fret the bottom strings when the thumb's that far over the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 16, 2010,