Not entirely sure this is the right place for this (I suppose I'm trying to "customise my gear"...) but:

Has anyone had experience with the clip on pickups?

similar to, but not necessarily, this

I play many, many instruments in my band from keyboards to drums, as well as guitar and other stringed instruments, including ukelele, mandolin and banjo, none of which I have an electric version of. Using a mic to try and pick up the sound doesn't work as well as I'd like and of course being able to plug them into my pedal board on the songs that require a different instrument would be greatly beneficial to the sound.

I'm also not entirely willing/competent enough to try and drill a hole in my mandolin or ukelele to insert a 1/4 inch jack

like this

but does anyone know if this would work simply attached to (for example) my strap?

Thanks for any help
it would work attached to the strap
its just me but if im going to be plugging it in alot id just drill the small hole its not difficult if youre carefull and looks better than wires hanging out
It wouldn't pickup well on a strap at all. It's basically a piezo pickup, it vibrates with the instrument and sends a signal of those vibrations. The product you posted claims that it clips on to the headstock, which seems alright but not ideal.

I understand the unwillingness to drill something in a valued instrument such as a uke without knowing what exactly you're doing, but that would be your best bet for adding a pickup without changing out a bridge piece or doing heavier modification.
Quote by Jerry.thewise
It wouldn't pickup well on a strap at all. It's basically a piezo pickup, it vibrates with the instrument and sends a signal of those vibrations.

Yeah, what I meant (and didn't word very well) was if I had the jack part of the second product just attached to the strap while the pickup was internally mounted through (as would be required). Not too bothered about the wires hanging out, as long as they don't affect the sound.

So how would I go about drilling into an instrument? Is it simply a case of clamping, masking tape-ing the area so that the surrounding won't crack, and superglue-ing(?) the jack in?
Last edited by Burpbelly at Jun 16, 2010,
I installed a pickup in a friend's uke. Really wasn't that hard. The body thickness was easily enough to support the jack. The piezo transducer pickup you linked to is very similar to the one we used and we were able to get good sound mounted on the inside or outside of the instrument. Inside looks much better of course but you could use it on the outside near the bridge and tie the jack to the strap if you really wanted to.
Quote by Burpbelly
...and superglue-ing(?) the jack in?

No need to glue anything. The jack is threaded and the strap button acts as a nut. The hardest part of the install is getting your hands inside the small uke to hold things in place for mounting. Otherwise very simple.