First of all We are an alternative rock/metal/punk band. The best way to describe the style is by checking out the band Death From Above 1979....

I need to pick up Synth or keyboard or whatever you would call it....I dont know that much about this type of gear but I know what kind of sounds I'm looking for.

I want a very diverse amount of sounds. I want that wah effect, phaser effect, etc....
But I have no clue what a good brand is or what exactly to look for.

I've heard of a few bands that use Korg as their synth but I dont know if it would be a good starter....If so, is there a synth I can get that has all of those effects but comes as like a keyboard setup? As opposed to something like the Korg Kaossilater??

I would be greatful for some advice.
synth are very complicated to play, you'll need to study a lot but it is worth it, i'll recomend buying a midi keyboard to plug into a computer where you can donload loads of programs to emulate different synths
Quote by crohno
synth are very complicated to play, you'll need to study a lot but it is worth it, i'll recomend buying a midi keyboard to plug into a computer where you can donload loads of programs to emulate different synths

FL Studio has some good synth sounds in the Sytrus pack.

However, you have to buy Sytrus, but torrents are always helpful.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by truANT111
I want a very diverse amount of sounds. I want that wah effect, phaser effect, etc....
But I have no clue what a good brand is or what exactly to look for.

Maybe you're not looking for a synthesizer, but perhaps a multi-effects pedal.

But if you're looking for a synthesizer, a microKORG would be a good start. It's a very good synth, specially at emulating those analog tones that would otherwise cost you thousands of dollars. Either that, or an Alesis MICRON, but you would a little expertise in programming synths. Still, a very good option.

^you can also try what crohno suggests. It's a good alternative since you're new to the world of synthesizers.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by crohno

So how these work is I buy a midi keyboard, plug it into my computer, download a bunch of programs that have different effects in them and such, and then play it like that.....I presume you have to buy those programs online aswell?

Also, Do you have to download the effects you want yourself? or does it come with them?
Quote by cxrlxscr
Maybe you're not looking for a synthesizer, but perhaps a multi-effects pedal.

But if you're looking for a synthesizer, a microKORG would be a good start. It's a very good synth, specially at emulating those analog tones that would otherwise cost you thousands of dollars. Either that, or an Alesis MICRON, but you would a little expertise in programming synths. Still, a very good option.

^you can also try what crohno suggests. It's a good alternative since you're new to the world of synthesizers.

these are pretty much the best synths currently out for those just getting into synthesizers.

both have a lot of sounds and are fun to play with.
Im just using a KeyRig 49 right now (I actually have it sitting next to me), plugged into GarageBand. You probably have a PC, so MixCraft is pretty much the PC equivalent to GB. You can download the demo and then put in a key code (its easy to find online, and its the same as buying it, only without buying it). I used MixCraft before I got a mac, and it works great, but then again, you need to use your computer for it.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
i was in this same spot a while back, looking at the microkorg and the alesis micron... ended up getting the roland SH-201, and thank god. the whole front panel is designed for a synth n00b, so its super easy to understand the signal flow, whats doing what where, and all the knobs/sliders were easy to get used to

plus it had the D-Beam (im a poser lol) and all the cool features like modulating an aux-in, librarian software/live comp patch editing, etc.

way better than the microkorg/micron ever could be, plus it was easier to get used to being new to the whole thing and only really knowing how to play keyboard/piano. the micron sounded good, but was hard as shit for me to get used to, and the microkorg's control layout is super confusing if you aren't used to synths...