OK, I play guitar in an indie band. I've narrowed my new guitar down to danelectro 59-dc vs fender mexican telecaster. Which would you recommend for me ?
Telecaster. What amp are you using, actually?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Today, the Telecaster is a tried and tested indie axe, go for the dc59 if you want originality.

My friend uses a DC59 in an indie band, but he mostly plays lead and uses alot of pedals.

What is in the rest of your rig?

Sorry about the wrong forum guys, forgot to switch over !
I'm using a Bugera V55HD right now, its supposed to be a clone of the Vox AC series. Pedalwise, I use A Ibanez SD9, a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, an MXR Carbon Copy Delay, and an analogman modded TR-2.
Ah, I thought you might be using a Vox type combo.

All I can really say is to take your pedals with you to a guitar shop and try them both, I understand that not many shops stock the DC59, but give a telecaster a go. Maybe try a couple of other guitars, see what suits best!
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Ah, I thought you might be using a Vox type combo.

All I can really say is to take your pedals with you to a guitar shop and try them both, I understand that not many shops stock the DC59, but give a telecaster a go. Maybe try a couple of other guitars, see what suits best!

I can't try either seeing as I'm lefty ! All the local stores have NO good guitars in left handed, so I'm really depending on clips and you guys to help me choose.
dano. no doubt about it. my uncle has one, and its jesus.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I've got the '59 reissue and as much as I like the vibe, it doesn't play well. It's got a weird dead spot and the one piece bridge is hard to setup. If you can, get the modified.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Quote by EdgedInBlue
I've got the '59 reissue and as much as I like the vibe, it doesn't play well. It's got a weird dead spot and the one piece bridge is hard to setup. If you can, get the modified.

Only the standard is available in lefty. But thats the first I've heard about a dead spot...
I've got a Dano 67 RI and it plays amazing. I mean, it needed a set up, and the bridge is a touch finnicky, but the neck is nice, overall it feels pretty solid for such a cheap guitar.

However, I must say that you just can not go wrong with a Fender Telecaster.
both are nice, i'd say telecaster though. but then again Im a telecaster guy... whatever feels best. And i may be wrong about this, but i think the telecaster would be more easily customized/upgraded and such.
I like telecasters, but my god any Danelectro guitar into an AC30 is a godly sound.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
My Brother has got a Mex Tele and I've got a Dano - It's a 63 but similar pick ups and neck I believe.

When I first got my guitar I played it against my brother's Telecaster and the Dano seemed to have a brighter more jangly sound but perhaps lacked some of the depth and grit the telecaster had. My Brother also played the Dano and thought it sounded very good for the money.

Although I haven't heard many reliability issues with the Dano I'd dare to say that the Tele might be more solidly made - but that is reflected in the price.

Both lovely guitars - my second guitar will be a Tele!
If you want a jangly sound, the danos would be best. On a shallow note, danos look cooler and are a bit more original.
Teles give off a warmer sound.
Quote by getmad24_7
Only the standard is available in lefty. But thats the first I've heard about a dead spot...

that's not gonna apply to every single '59 reissue out there. his probably needs a setup, or he's just got a dodgy one - every guitar is different even if it's the same model, same specs etc.

with regards to danelectros being "more original" for indie... what? everyone is using danelectros for the sake of originality and individuality (just like everyone else) these days. it's become just as much of an indie cliché as a telecaster

the only thing you should be taking into consideration is personal preference, imo. telecasters are more twangy and punchy, and danelectros should be more jangly, a bit thinner sounding, with less sustain, and as far as i'm aware the standard teles have slimmer necks than the danelectro 59DCs.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
get the tele, i love mine a ton. plays as well as my gibson flying V and sounds better than it stock.

the only compliant i have with the tele is that it has 21 frets and not 22 like im used to.

high fret acsess is also really good for a bolt on neck, even without the carved heel on the higher end models.

but the tele is awesome. really versatile and playable. this is the standard MiM tele im talking about, theres a few different versions on the MiM tele now such as the blacktop version which isnt as great IMO.
Ahahahah, my first time checking this forum since I made this thread probably hahaha, and this is bumped. Anyhow, I went for the danelectro, and I must say I really enjoy it. It has been reliable and done well for me, I have no regrets.