First, which is best, should I do it by bending the string with my fingers, or by bending with the wrist? I seem to find the wrist thing quite complicated, but then again I might just need some practice since I'm new to vibrato.

Second question is, when you do vibrato, do you alternate between bending the string in both directions (up and down), or should I do it in just one direction like in a regular bend?

Thanks in advace.
I use fingers only but that may be my preference.

And I think it depends on how much vibrato you want. If you want just a little, I usually go in one direction. If I want it very noticeable, I go in both directions
As tenfold said, use the wrist for vibrato. With regards to directions, I usually just move the string in a downward motion, return to normal and repeat but there's no really right or wrong there.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I always use the wrist for vibrato, it's just easier for me, and whether I do up and down bends or one direction bends for vibrato really depends on the song since I find that it doesn't sound the same, but for the most part up and down is my way to go.
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
Quote by Niiko_Xeneize
I always use the wrist for vibrato, it's just easier for me, and whether I do up and down bends or one direction bends for vibrato really depends on the song since I find that it doesn't sound the same, but for the most part up and down is my way to go.

not to mention that doing with your wrist both achieves a better effect than and is not as damaging as using your finger.

classical vibrato is side to side, rock vibrato is up and down. depends on what you're doing, like niiko said.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
It's really a personal thing, but in general I think wrist is better. The trick is to learn to do vibrato on a bent note. That will teach you what muscles/movements to use.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Tbh, there's people who do every combination of what you've mentioned - but the main "rock" vibrato is done like a bend. Be sure to be in control of the pitch and speed - listen to your favourite players and try and imitate their sounds.