hey everybady, i was wondering what pickups you would recommend for my tonal desire. so i like a good tight crunchy sound, but still clear and... articulate if you will. i've heard EMG's are very overpowering and extra distorted so i wouldn't want that, unless of course they're not that. so any suggestions? humbucker obviously haha. ummmmm can't really thinkl of anything else... oh and i play thrash, proggressive death metal, death metal, etc.
mucho gracias amigos!
oh and it doesnt matter whether its active or passive.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
For active seymour duncan blackouts passive either a seymour duncan full shred or a dimarzio super distortion.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Im a seymour duncan fan personally. I've heard their Blackouts active pickups are pretty good, especially for the genres you listed, but haven't tried them personally.
he uses those? holy crap i love his tone!
i was just lookin around on GC.com, how are the john petrucci pups? would the output be adequate or a bit too weak? cause i know DT isnt too too heavy, and i play a lot of opeth, megadeth etc.
if i were to get the SH-6 should i skip locking tuners and get both pups or 1 pup and set of locking tuners?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
EMGs are actually really common in death metal, as are blackouts.

Some claim the EMGs are a bit too sterile, yet claim the blackouts are more organic, but there are others who claim the opposite, so its really down to you to see which one you prefer.

I'm not too knowledgable on other brands of pickups that other bands use though.

Those are actives anyway.
honestly, i've never tried that jp pickup. and i've never tried the sd distortion in the neck, but i know that in the bridge position it really screams. but if you're satisfied enough with your neck pickup for clean and more rhythym-y tones, and you feel you really need the locking tuners, then i'd say go for that. but i definitely recommend that sd distortion, at least in the bridge.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
I would stay away from any marketed "distortion pickups" and just get a simple high output humbucker. You're better using the distortion from your amp or a pedal than trying to get one form you're pickup. Those kinds of pickup don't really leave you with much versatility.
seymour duncan JB or if u want active dave mustaine livewire, JB/Jazz that is
jb/jazz is what mustaine used to use, and livewire mustaine is based off jb/jazz
Eh.
well im doing a "rebuild" sort of thing so the new stuff will go in my Epiphone LP-100L/H
and i have an epiphone valve jr. half stack. love that thing
does that affect the choice of pickup at all?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
he uses those? holy crap i love his tone!
i was just lookin around on GC.com, how are the john petrucci pups? would the output be adequate or a bit too weak? cause i know DT isnt too too heavy, and i play a lot of opeth, megadeth etc.

The new Petrucci pickups (Crunch Lab and LiquiFire) should be plenty of power.
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
whats better, the SH-6 or the Crunch Lab?
better in terms of quality, the tone im looking for, and overall ease (installation, minimal problems, wires, etc.)
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
I've never used either... but I loooove DiMarzios.....
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
You said you're a fan of Megadeth? He's got signature SD Livewires, they're my favorite active pickups. Try one of the VMNT guitars (not the VMNTX) in a tube amp, and see what you think. The neck pickup needs to be lowered a bit for decent cleans, but the leads from the bridge pup make me cream myself. They've also got a lot more clarity with lower tunings- I was able to play Mastodon on them, and still get each note to sound different from the next (a feat with Remission Mastodon )

If you're looking for passives, Bare Knuckles are nice, especially the Nailbomber.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
i looked at the DM Livewires, cept i kinda want the locking tuners...
unless of course you think that i can pass with decent epiphone tuners. theyre actually alright but locking hipshots are better.
i dunno how do you think it balances out? two pups or one different pup without the tuners?
can you buy one of the pickups? or do you have to get the set?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Last edited by Dr.Tong at Jun 17, 2010,
If you're not using a tremolo or doing extreme bends often, you can get by. I've got the stock tuners on my Les Paul and they do just fine. Epiphone and Gibson stock tuners are actually really nice.

You should be able to buy each individually. I'm not positive, since I bought the VMNT, but even if you have to buy a set you can buy both and sell one.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
yesturday I bought my schecter (YES) with SD Blackouts, they really kick ass. Their a lil more organic and heavier than EMGs standards, but EMG X-series give them a battle (my other guitar has EMG 85X/81X). the SDs are SLIGHTLY heavier, but only very little. With the SDs its also hard to get really clean so in that way, the EMG Xs are more versatile. If I could choose ones, it would be the EMG 85X/81X cause of the amazing cleans and heavy distortion, but I had them, and now I also have something with a simple, killer heavy distorion. (happy)

Jonathan
Quote by Dr.Tong
well im doing a "rebuild" sort of thing so the new stuff will go in my Epiphone LP-100L/H
and i have an epiphone valve jr. half stack. love that thing
does that affect the choice of pickup at all?

i think u should get a new amp. an Epiphone Valve JR. for metal is not really that good. It more of a blues/classic rock amp.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Do some reasearch on Barenuckle pickups. I propose Warpigs.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
how's the sh-8 invader compared to the sh-6/crunch lab/blackout?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
EMGs/High output humbuckers would be your best bet. They're usually the most commonly used in heavier music.
ok so ive narrowed my choices down to three:
SD SH-6 Distortion, SD SH-8 Invader, and the DiMarzio D-Sonic (the same as the John P. but sliiiigghhtly hotter)
which do you guys think is best?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
i would go with the d-sonic or crunchlab. Oh and also, the d-sonic is not hotter than the crunchlab. It's the other way around. Dont look at the DC resistance, look at the output voltage to see how hot the pickup is.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I've got an SH-6, it's pretty good. Probably the best pickup I own, but then all my others are stock ibanez, some no name something and emg hzs... >_>

But yeah, your tone is going to be much, much more defined by your amp (and pedal/s potentially) than the pickup. Just get any pickup with decent output and clarity and then get an amp that would suit your tastes better.

Don't expect any magical changes from a simple pickup change.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
can anyone tell me what the output is on the SH-6? the SD website only gives the DC Resistance.
and for a tight, heavy crunch (think Ghost Reveries/Rust in Peace/United Abominations) would the John Petrucci be good, or should i go with something hotter like an X2N?
and whats better overall, Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
hey everybady, i was wondering what pickups you would recommend for my tonal desire. so i like a good tight crunchy sound, but still clear and... articulate if you will. i've heard EMG's are very overpowering and extra distorted so i wouldn't want that, unless of course they're not that. so any suggestions? humbucker obviously haha. ummmmm can't really thinkl of anything else... oh and i play thrash, proggressive death metal, death metal, etc.
mucho gracias amigos!

Sounds like Bare Knuckle Miracle Man pickups might be a good fit for you.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
I know a friend who had a HH strat with Duncan distortions in both positions, and that thing screamed. I know the black outs are supposed to be great, but I've never played with them. I know EMGs sound like shit, but that's just my opinion.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
right now im leaning towards the Duncan Distortions, but where do i buy Bare Knuckle pickups? i cant find a price or a store where i can buy them
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
right now im leaning towards the Duncan Distortions, but where do i buy Bare Knuckle pickups? i cant find a price or a store where i can buy them

Google them, but be warned, they do not come cheaply.

Also, I would recommend EMGs. If you don't like them at 9v, you can always run them at 18v, which I say makes them sound better, and some say more 'organic.' At 9v, they sound thin compared to the 18v, in my personal opinion.

I've heard good things and bad things about blackouts, but I've never actually tried them. So I have no say on them.
if you are willing to drop some cash i would recommend bareknuckle nailbombs. and if you are going for the EMG's which i also recommend you should run them at 18v not 9. running them at 18 gives you more of a full sound and better over all sound. and they are not over distorted
How can you have any pudding when you don't eat your meat!

GEAR
-heavily customized Jackson PS-1
-Epiphone les paul studio
-bugera 1990 half stack
-vox AD30VT-XL
-original cry baby
-boss GE-7
-boss CE-5
-homemade FX loop switcher
Last edited by RisingSun at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by holycow
i think u should get a new amp. an Epiphone Valve JR. for metal is not really that good. It more of a blues/classic rock amp.

He nailed it. Get a new amp
Guitars
Amps
what is it with the people here and new amps? i want to modify my guitar not get a new amp. that amp is very new, i got it in january. and it does sound metal when you run it thru an ME-20 set on heavy distortion. trust me, i know my metal, and it sounds great. the reason i bought it was for the tubes. thats all.
can you buy BK's in stores? or only online?
and how much is "drop some cash"?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
i've heard EMG's are very overpowering and extra distorted so i wouldn't want that,

I don't think with EMG's it's the fact that they have more gain. In fact most high output passive pickups pack more gain than any EMG's i've played. The idea with EMG's is you can load as much gain as you want on the pickups without getting feedback/buzz. However they also have a very sterile, thin tone, lack note definition and the cleans are subpar compared to passive pickups. They have their uses, but i disagree with the misconception that they automatically have more gain.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Jun 19, 2010,