Ok, I have recently started to learn this pentatonic riff that starts from the 5th fret of the low E, and goes all the way up to the 5th fret of the B very quickly by using hammer-ons to the upper frets. Instinctively when I decended down the scale I picked the higher fret and 'hammered' onto the lower fret when I released the previous fret instead of pulling off. I tried this pull off technique by quickly putting two fingers on the string to get ready for pulling-off, but I just can't move my fingers quick enough. Am I doing it wrong or am am I doing it right and just need more practice?

Thanks in advance
The Metal Scale:
e----------------------000
B------------------000----
G--------------000--------
D----------000------------
A------000----------------
E--000--------------------
I would do one finger at a time, not both at the same time. Logically it makes no sense, but when you do it, it works. Practice will make it more fluid and clean, but you have to practice.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Quote by Jasonbts
I would do one finger at a time, not both at the same time. Logically it makes no sense, but when you do it, it works. Practice will make it more fluid and clean, but you have to practice.

So I pick the higher fret, hold down the lower fret and pull off all very quickly?
The Metal Scale:
e----------------------000
B------------------000----
G--------------000--------
D----------000------------
A------000----------------
E--000--------------------
Do whatever works best for you, but I would fret the higher note, pick, fret the lower note, then pull off the higher note. It keeps for fretting hand doing a more natural walking motion than a clumsy stick and move type deal.

The tricky part is timing the "lower" fingers fret, before the "higher' fingers release.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Well it's up to you if you want either that hammer-off (:p) or the pull-off.
If you want to do the pull-off, just practice really slowly. When you descend to a new string, put the higher fret finger on first and right before you pull off, switch your index finger over to the note you will be pulling off to and do it.