Allright I got some problem with my nail so I can't bend with out it hurting so i can apply vibrato a note but i can't bend a whole semi tone.

What can I do to make my sliding sound more smooth and bend-like?
By sorting out your nail problem and bending.

Apart from that use a whammy bar or buy a fretless.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Use a different finger?

How did i miss this, time to call it a night me thinks
No, I can't bend with my 2nd and 3rd fingers and won't be able cause I bit my nails allot when i was younger and my sense of pitch isn't developed enough for a fret less. A whammy that goes up like a floyd would be nice but I despise my jackson's floyd.
Is Ibanez's Zero point thing or what ever a good system? And can I get a RG or S but with a narrower neck (less than 43mm )
Last edited by yaaarp at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by yaaarp
No, I can't bend with my 2nd and 3rd fingers and won't be able cause I bit my nails allot when i was younger and my sense of pitch isn't developed enough for a fret less. A whammy that goes up like a floyd would be nice but I despise my jackson's floyd.
Is Ibanez's Zero point thing or what ever a good system? And can I get a RG or S but with a narrower neck (less than 43mm )

Not sure if there are Ibanez guitars with a narrower neck, check the website.
Also, there are some fretless guitars that have the frets marked on the fingerboard; so it looks like it has frets like a regular guitar but it doesn't, maybe that would do for you.
the Zero Point system makes sure that the strings always return to perfect pitch after using the whammy bar or bending, its supposedly pretty darned great my Ibanez has the Edge III trem, and despite what people say it's really good
Thanks I checked the website it turns out there all 43 except the Satriani ones, which have edge pro not the ZR

Despite all the bending tips and fretboard and stuff I don't have the cash for a new axe and my fingers won't heal so any tips on actually making the sliding sound smoother and bend- like?
Quote by yaaarp
Despite all the bending tips and fretboard and stuff I don't have the cash for a new axe and my fingers won't heal so any tips on actually making the sliding sound smoother and bend- like?

There really isn't anything else you can do. The only thing that sounds like a bend is a bend. The closest way to approximate that sound is either with a trem bar a fretless guitar, or switching to slide guitar.

Bending is incredibly important to lead guitar though. Honestly I can't see why you can't bend. If you can fret the strings, you should be able to bend them. Is it overly painful or something?
yea i can bend down but that doesn't work on the b and e strings and if i start bending with my pinky the hurting gradually gets worse and the nail-plate starts to lift pretty quick. It's not overly painful if I bend a couple times but I can't practice like this it gets much worse gradually so I decided to stop bending-up completely.
I don't get it - I've knocked off nails before completely and it still grew back.

But if you must, Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath lost the tips of his fingers and couldn't play guitar with the same setup anymore. He rectified this by replacing his strings with extremely light gauges, and tuned down a half-step. An interesting thing about the tuning is that the reason he tuned down was to make the strings looser, but people started emulating their sound, leading to the super down tuning phase we have today.

Edit: So do that.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Where on your finger tips is the string as you bend? If it's right under the nail or close to it try doing it further away. When I do bends the string is in the middle or slightly under the finger tip.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
u should be able to practicing bending while using the majority of your finger .. instead of the tip.