so i got the new guitar world and they are doing a tribute to SRV. they gave a link to MP3's of a couple of early SRV recordings in 1970 with some of his classmates.

http://www.kimballclassof70.org/castofthousands.htm

cools stuff. you can hear a big clapton influence here. apparently clapton was one of his big influences back in the day. people only seem to mention jimi and albert king.
holy shit sounds so much like clapton in that first vid

and damn that little guitar break early on in the 2nd vid is awesome

hard to believe thats SRV, sounds pretty much exactly like clapton

awesome link bro
^ This

His tone sounds unrecognisable from his trademark one too. Weird thinking of SRV as ever having not sounded like he did in the 80's.
My dad just walked by me as I was listening to the first one again, and knowing that he likes SRV/Clapton etc to some extent, I asked him if he could recognise the guitarist. He said Eric Clapton almost instantly.

Very good find.
It does indeed sound like Clapton to an extent. The licks are all there but there's something about the phrasing that tips you off to it being someone else. Obviously if I wasn't told it was SRV I would have thought it was Clapton, but I would have thought he was drunk or something when recording it. Can't really blame Stevie considering he would have been super young when this was recorded and it's dramatically different than the style he ended up perfecting.
does the audio have a bad pan? or are my headphones bad? it does sound like clapton though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
does sound like clapton! anybody know what guitar stevies holding in the picture? looks and sounds cool
Quote by stratoclap
It does indeed sound like Clapton to an extent. The licks are all there but there's something about the phrasing that tips you off to it being someone else. Obviously if I wasn't told it was SRV I would have thought it was Clapton, but I would have thought he was drunk or something when recording it. Can't really blame Stevie considering he would have been super young when this was recorded and it's dramatically different than the style he ended up perfecting.

yea his phrasings are incomplete at time.. and rhythmically you can tell its not Clapton.. at times it sounded a little sloppy. I love the tone tho
Imho, doesn't sound THAT much like Clapton.
You can hear the influence, sure. But, it's also a part of the shared Freddie King influence.

EDIT:
Sounds MUCH more like Clapton in the second video, nvm.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by Regibald
^ This

His tone sounds unrecognisable from his trademark one too. Weird thinking of SRV as ever having not sounded like he did in the 80's.

It takes time to develop a signature tone.
Lotsa trial and research but mostly ... happy mistakes.

Quote by carmour
holy shit sounds so much like clapton in that first vid

Well, not wanting to put you off, it really depends on what other references you have.

To me, he sounds more like a young Rick Derringer, so far from EC.