egnater rebel 20/30
24 44%
orange tiny terror
6 11%
orange dual terror
10 19%
Voters: 54.
Page 1 of 2
I'm a beginning/intermediate player and I'm looking into buying a small <30watt tube amp. These are what I've looked at

Bugera V22
Blackheart Handsome Devil 15w
Vox Night train 15w
Egnater Rebel 20w
Orange tiny/Dual Terror 15 or 30 watts

Im leaning towards the egnater or orange TT but they are more expensive than the other amps. Also there is no place where I can test an orange near my home. SO right now im basing this decision on recordings from youtube and internet reviews.

Anyone Played these amps, which is the best for the price

"TOO FAST TO LIVE TOO YOUNG TO DIE"
I would go the orange. You have also neglected to include the 5E3 models... also, Peavey Classic/Delta Blues 30?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
The Fender Blues Junior is a great little tube combo. It's simple to use, overloads well at low volumes, and can take pedals very well. It is also surprisingly loud for 15 watts.

I've used one in a jazz band (big band), and I can be heard with: Drums, 4 trombones, 4 trumpets, 5 saxes, bass, and keyboards. Mind you I don't play over the band, I play with the band.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
go with the classic 30. it takes effect pedals really well with the effect loop, has a killer reverb channel, great distortion and you can pick up one used for cheap and re-tube it. its the best bang for the buck and great for gigs in bars and such
if you can afford it check out a used mesa boogie express 525. well worth it. In my opinion it blows the other amplifiers out of the water in regards to the value.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
You guys haven't helped him at all with his choices...
You are just making him more confused I'm sure.

What's your budget?
I've been told that Bugera is too new onto the market to know much about them and see if their amps last or if they have good customer service or anything. But the one I tried sounded good.

I can only imagine that Blackhearts and Egnaters are really expensive, so they must be better than the others?

Orange is always good and not too expensive...

But its up to you. They're all good in their own ways.
Until you give me a budget, tell me what styles of music you will be using the amp for, and let me know if you need this for gigging purposes or just home use then I can't help you out.

I love how everyone's making suggestions and no one even knows what the TS is really even looking for.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Rage Against the Machine?

BTW, why choose something less than 30 watts?

For good tube distortion at low volumes.

I've seen the reviews of the bugera's and they seem fifty/fifty (I was thinking about getting one myself)

The oranges sound really nice, and they have a good sound.

It also depends on why you want a low wattage amp. Do you want something that you can get the distortion at a low level without waking the neighbors? Then you might not want something that's advertised as "loud as a bigger amp".
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Rage Against the Machine?

BTW, why choose something less than 30 watts?

Well, in that case...

I think a used 2204 will do the job. Grab an original Whammy from the 80's, a Crybaby wah, and an old DOD EQ ran completely flat except you need to bump the level up slightly so you can use it as a clean boost. That will get the job done

Metalheadit:

Quote by EdgedInBlue
For good tube distortion at low volumes.

I've seen the reviews of the bugera's and they seem fifty/fifty (I was thinking about getting one myself)

The oranges sound really nice, and they have a good sound.

It also depends on why you want a low wattage amp. Do you want something that you can get the distortion at a low level without waking the neighbors? Then you might not want something that's advertised as "loud as a bigger amp".

Even a 15 watt amp is going to be hella loud before it reaches powertube saturation.

Remember that watts =/= volume. An amp's volume is mainly determined by its circuitry. Smaller wattage amps still pack plenty of loudness to them.

Watts is a measurement of power and is mainly used as an approximate amount of headroom. The more powerful an amp is the louder of a signal it will be able to reproduce before it reaches clipping stages.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jun 16, 2010,
Wow...OK lots of responses but maybe keep to cheaper amps slash the ones on list please

The mesa looks amazing but way over budget IM probably looking at $600 max and thats even stretching it. Basically thats why im only going for a 15 watt.

DOes anyone know how the egnater Rebel 20 watt and tube mix knobs work because as far as I know amps cant lower the wattage like that.

Quote by dougl126
You guys haven't helped him at all with his choices...
You are just making him more confused I'm sure.

What's your budget?
I've been told that Bugera is too new onto the market to know much about them and see if their amps last or if they have good customer service or anything. But the one I tried sounded good.

I can only imagine that Blackhearts and Egnaters are really expensive, so they must be better than the others?

Orange is always good and not too expensive...

But its up to you. They're all good in their own ways.

strangely orange is the most expensive and the blackheart is the cheapest actually at $350

Quote by i_am_metalhead
Until you give me a budget, tell me what styles of music you will be using the amp for, and let me know if you need this for gigging purposes or just home use then I can't help you out.

I love how everyone's making suggestions and no one even knows what the TS is really even looking for.

budget is $500 or less and it will be used for home practice and small gigs. Style is probably punk, classic rock, and some ratm style metal. Jack White-ish with a good guitar.

Look hard enough and you could probably score a JCM900 for that. That would suit you down to the ground - dispense with your fantasies of low power amps - JCM it!!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what's your budget? edit: ah ok $600

i've only tried the tiny terror out of those, and i'm tempted to say it's not going to be the best one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I think a used 2204 will do the job. Grab an original Whammy from the 80's, a Crybaby wah, and an old DOD EQ ran completely flat except you need to bump the level up slightly so you can use it as a clean boost. That will get the job done

That is Tom Morello's exact rig in his instructional video...

I find it somewhat strange that I know that.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I haven't tried all the amps on the list but I recently purchased a Tiny Terror and have no regrets!

It sounds great and the ability to switch from 15 watts to 7 is extremely useful is noise is an issue.
Quote by TMF128
That is Tom Morello's exact rig in his instructional video...

I find it somewhat strange that I know that.

Not his exact rig. He has a Boss delay, an MXR Phase 90, and some sort of tremolo, too.
bugera an blackheart seems to be losing the fight. Has anyone actually played and/or owned these amps. Id like to get more information before I completely cross them off the list

Quote by gregs1020
tweaker AND a 5e3...

srsly the tweaker rocks.
I tried the Tweaker at GC tonight and was seriously tempted to buy it.
Quote by fly135
I tried the Tweaker at GC tonight and was seriously tempted to buy it.

20% off sale this weekend. print your coupon online.

sorry.

also the tweaker has enough headroom with 6l6s to stay clean over a drummer.
Quote by T_5ky_K
bugera an blackheart seems to be losing the fight. Has anyone actually played and/or owned these amps. Id like to get more information before I completely cross them off the list

i haven't tried either, but if i were you i'd pay scant heed to any poll. they're anonymous, you don't have to back up your position, and people (if they're sufficiently douchey) might even be doing it for a laugh/trolling. At least if you post you have to back up your assertion, and it should be pretty obvious if the person posting knows what he/she is talking about etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I believe he had a 2205, too, not a 2204.

if you need cleans, I'd look at something more than 15 watts.

Yea, you're right. I just knew it was a 50 watt 800 so I assumed it was a 2204, but it is a 2205.

And I totally agree. If the amp is for band purposes and cleans are important then look into some higher watt amps. 15 watters are loud but the cleans tend to start to break up at band levels.

This picture may contain traces of midgets.

Seriously though, I heard the tiny terror was pretty good.
Signatures are overrated.
I've tried the rebel 30 and 20 they're great amps but like the others have said with that kind of money you get a used jcm 900 which get you closer to a RATM tone, it depends whether you'll be gigging anytime soon really.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I have a Handsome Devil halfstack and it's not a bad amp, I jam the hell out of it. I'm not going to say it sounds better than the other amps listed because that's subjective. The tone is a mixture of American/British and it's consistent at any volume but crank it up, it's sweet. It's 7.5/15 watts switchable and take pedals very well.

I didn't care for the stock tubes but some liked 'em. I used Mullard RIs and that's an improvement on the spot. Later I put Tung Sol New Production 12AX7s in the preamp and Sovtek Military Grade EL84s in the power, I like this combination for my pedals.

This amp deserves to be considered along with the others, it just depends on what voices you like.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by T_5ky_K
budget is $500 or less and it will be used for home practice and small gigs. Style is probably punk, classic rock, and some ratm style metal. Jack White-ish with a good guitar.

you might as well cross the orange off the list then.
Fender HSS Deluxe Special Edition
Scheckter C-1 classic
Orange rocker 30
A few boss pedals
Quote by gregs1020
20% off sale this weekend. print your coupon online.

sorry.

also the tweaker has enough headroom with 6l6s to stay clean over a drummer.
Just put my HT-5 head on CL for $225. If it sells I'll be picking up a Tweaker.
Quote by Moe.
Seriously though, I heard the tiny terror was pretty good.

They call it the "Terror" for a reason - its horrid. The cleans are actually pretty good if you keep the thing at low levels but the drive is very muddy and lacks character.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
15 watters are loud but the cleans tend to start to break up at band levels.

yea, sounds godly.
I just purchased the Tweaker since gregs let me know about the 20% off deal. 335.00 shipped, won't arrive til mid July because its on back order... but hell of a deal!

If I hate it, I can probably sell it for what I paid for it.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
that's what i wish our stores had- 20% off everything deals. I don't think I've ever seen a guitar store here have that type of deal on. I mean, heck, I nearly always have a list of things I'd consider buying if the price were right, and that type of thing would be enough to swing it (easily) for most things I'm looking at. for most things I just need a slight push to convince me that it's as cheap as I'm ever going to get it (and a limited-time offer provides a slightly bigger push at that).

And that's before you even consider that US prices are a lot cheaper than here to begin with.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 18, 2010,
Page 1 of 2