http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/824277--truth-commission-assures-residential-school-survivors?bn=1

Basically, this is a $60 million "truth and reconciliation commission" set up by the Canadian government to expose some of the disturbing truths about residential schools, and to educate the general public on a part of our history that has been swept under the rug.

For people here who don't know the backstory, residential schools were church run schools funded by the government in order to assimilate the aboriginal population in to european-canadian society. Children were taken from their homes at an early age and placed in to these schools throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Overcrowding, poor sanitation, lack of medical case, physical and sexual abuse were all widespread throughout these schools, they had death rates of up to 69%, and delt a huge blow to aboriginal culture. The acts of our government have been considered a cultural genocide, and was one of the most disgusting acts in our nations history.

Personally, I think the commission is a great step by the Canadian government, but it will not be enough to heal the wounds,. Unlike similar commissions in South Africa, there are no namings of people who committed these acts. In the South Africa commission, I do believe that they offered full amnesty towards people who committed these crimes, and encouraged discussion between the victim and the perp. I think this would be especially fitting to have in our commission, due to the Aboriginal tradition that worked similarly for settling disputes. It's a step in the right direction, but I think they need to work harder on healing the wounds that survivors of these schools have, and I don't feel that this commission will do that effectively.

So pit, what are your opinions on this commission? Residential schools in general?
I learned this from my socials teacher, it's not really a secret or anything and has been known for a long time.
The US did that too (the residential schools), but 10x better, so UP YOURS Canada!

In all seriousness, it seems like a good idea.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by maowcat
I learned this from my socials teacher, it's not really a secret or anything and has been known for a long time.

That was a quote from the article. Also, in my experience, I didn't learn about it in class at all, and you wouldn't unless you took an optional course that was "identifying canadian cultures" or something.
All I know is that your from the home of Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee which makes you awesome. You don't live in Willowdale by any chance do you...?
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
this truth commission sounds like something out of 1984, but still some of the stuff in that article is pretty shocking
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Hearing about these schools absolutely sickens me.

I hope some good comes of this, and helps to heal at least some of the wounds inflicted on our First Nations people.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
That was a quote from the article. Also, in my experience, I didn't learn about it in class at all, and you wouldn't unless you took an optional course that was "identifying canadian cultures" or something.

Actually i'm just taking normal social studies 10...nothing special their, the face that i live in BC, which has alot of first nations in it might be why i learned about it :/