Okay before anyone says anything, I know the main difference is one is solid state and the other one is tube. Also the solid state one is louder.

Now that that's out of the way...

Back in 2006, I walked into a Guitar Center in Houston. One of the amplifiers they had on display was a brand new Crate GT3500H Shockwave. Having known people who'd used Crate amps for years, I thought I'd give this one a shot.
And holy shit, was it the best amp I had ever heard at that point in my life.
I wanted to get it, but I didn't have the money at the time. But then not too long after, the amp was discontinued.
So I did a little research, and found out about the Crate BV120H Blue Voodoo. Apparently it was the tube version of the Shockwave and according to some, even better. Months later I finally got to try one out, and was heavily disappointed.
Now before you jump on me, I will say that I found this particular Blue Voodoo in a pawn shop so it obviously had some years behind it. Unfortunately, I didn't sound like it had many left either.
I tried another one that a friend of mine owned, and again no better luck. It was in good condition, but even after some tweaking the knobs, it still couldn't compete with the Shockwave.

Basically what I wanna know is, is the Blue Voodoo really all that or is the Shockwave worth all the trouble of looking for and (possibly?) finding?
Maybe you just remember the Shockwave sounding better because you were more inexperienced? Both are pretty bad IMO but the Blue Voodoo is better for sure.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I don't know Matt - I thought the Shockwave was pretty killer for broot4LZ. Depending on what you play, sometimes solid state is the way to go. Just throwin that our there. My GC has a Shockwave and several Blue Voodoos. On a budget I think they are worthy.
If you're playing super br00tz, it might but I just play 80s br00tz. So not even real br00tz but for that the Blue Voodoo was decent.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The Blue Voodoo may be due for new tubes, that's the only way I could account for it unless it's something more serious like a speaker on it's way out the door. Tubes are more probable. Stick a fresh set of JJs in it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Blue Voodoos are pretty good high-watt budget tube amps. Like, think Bugera before Bugera was around.
Don't get me wrong, they are not gain monsters and I really don't think it does the br00tz very well, but it does nail a good 80s hair metal sound as far as I can see, which isn't far because the brightness of the Voodoo was blinded me.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by mmolteratx
Maybe you just remember the Shockwave sounding better because you were more inexperienced? Both are pretty bad IMO but the Blue Voodoo is better for sure.

Well I was only playing guitar for about a year and a half by that point, so maybe I was a bit inexperienced.
But even today, I can appreciate the sound of a good solid state that won't bankrupt me.
Try out a Crate GX-130 if you can, another decent SS amp on the cheap. Or just go to the source with Ampeg?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."