Page 1 of 5
A minister in the UK has called for the present drink-drive limit of 80mg/100ml of blood to be lowered to 50mg/100ml of blood.

This would mean that a person could (based on averages) drink just one standard pub pint of beer. Any more would send them over the limit.

This got me thinking- is someone REALLY safe if they drink even a small amount of alcohol and then get behind the wheel of a car?
I know some countries (Sweden comes to mind) have zero-limits for all drivers.

Here's the article- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8742769.stm

Opinons?
Fassaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
If you're dumb enough to get drunk and drive a car, you don't deserve to be in the gene pool. As a result, you DIE. Works out for me.
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
They did that here in Ontario. The limit used to be .08 and now it's .05

I think it's for the best, personally.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Sshmoo
If you're dumb enough to get drunk and drive a car, you don't deserve to be in the gene pool. As a result, you DIE. Works out for me.

And what about the innocent people who die as a result of these selfish asholes? eh?
Alcohol is teh lulz.
Agile 725 7 string w/Blackouts (new paint too)
Jackson Soloist Professional Standard
Jackson SLSMG With Livewire Metals
Fernandes Tremor 4 string
Peavey 5150 2x12 (new tolex and re-biased)
Peavey TNT 100 1x15
Line 6 Pod XT w/FBV
Misc Junk
Money grab.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Metalology
They did that here in Ontario. The limit used to be .08 and now it's .05

I think it's for the best, personally.

WHAT??? i live in ontario and i havent heard of this. reallyyyyyyyyyyy?? of all times i could have been informed it was over a UG forum post.....
This is just my opinion, but I believe if you have one shot, beer, glass of wine you shouldn't even be able to get behind the wheel.
I need you to be awesome, can you be awesome for me?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
And what about the innocent people who die as a result of these selfish asholes? eh?
This.

If it was idiots killing themselves through their own idiocy, coolio. However, if someone else gets harmed who had nothing to do with it, I see a problem.....
Quote by andrewjp123
WHAT??? i live in ontario and i havent heard of this. reallyyyyyyyyyyy?? of all times i could have been informed it was over a UG forum post.....

Why are you so damn bummed about it?
I remember a thread where there was a huge debate on the limit to drive. We came to the conclusion that one beer will not impair your driving skills enough to drive any differently than usual for the average person.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by herby190
This.

If it was idiots killing themselves through their own idiocy, coolio. However, if someone else gets harmed who had nothing to do with it, I see a problem.....

+100000000000000000000

When there's innocent parties involved, you have to do something.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

I was thinking the same.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by RockGuitar92
I remember a thread where there was a huge debate on the limit to drive. We came to the conclusion that one beer will not impair your driving skills enough to drive any differently than usual for the average person.

That depends heavily on physiology of the person as much as anything, and there are different strength beers too. I finished off a 12% vol. beer last night and a few nights ago I polished off a Budweiser, which is 5%.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

i heard they werent going to do it. also i think we're over-regulated as it is
Quote by RockGuitar92

That's key. It was on using a poster using "average" person, not everybody is average. There are bound to be people who take their alcohol better or worse, and one beer =/= drinking right up to the limit, which was what was being supported in the other thread. It's a stupid risk to take, and if you put other peoples lives at risk due to you not wanting to take a cab or whatever, you are a pretty massive scumbag.
[And what about the innocent people who die as a result of these selfish asholes? eh?]
Hmmmmm... Still have to figure that one out, maybe a large, indestructible bubble that all the non-drunks stay in the rest of their lives ? Or we could just really crack down on drunk driving like they do in Germany or Japan.
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
Quote by genghisgandhi
Good. **** drunk drivers and all their drunkness.

+1

Seriously, just get somebody else to drive, or don't drink.
How many times do you hear about a crash resulting from someone who drank a whopping whole two beers?

I sort of agree with Jackal in a way.In a state over here they thought about lowering the limit to .02,not to mention putting a curfew on P platers and limiting the number of passengers they may have in the car.

Should ban breathing oxygen too.
Quote by andrewjp123
i heard they werent going to do it. also i think we're over-regulated as it is

Yeah, we should just let people drive around drunk putting people lives at risk, right? get real.
Quote by MightyAri
How many times do you hear about a crash resulting from someone who drank a whopping whole two beers?

I sort of agree with Jackal in a way.In a state over here they thought about lowering the limit to .02,not to mention putting a curfew on P platers and limiting the number of passengers they may have in the car.

it's not just beer though but any alcoholic drink.
Quote by MightyAri

Because breathing oxygen is a stupid, selfish, dangerous risk that puts innocent peoples lives at risk? There is no reason to drive drunk, we should stop it all together with a zero tolerance policy imho.
I don't think the limit is the problem.. it's people who exceed the limit who cause the problem and lowering the limit wont make much difference.

I personally would never get behind the wheel after drinking any alcohol though.
Cornflakes
Quote by MightyAri

Breathing oxygen doesn't destroy lives and murder innocent people. You seem to be misunderstand that these regulations aren't in place simply to limit the "fun" you can have, they are actually designed to protect the innocent from the idiotic.

I agree with the fact that the problem is the death of uninvolved, innocent parties... the death of someone foolish enough to be driving drunk is a net plus on society, and the species.

Personally, I think it should be a zero limit; any traces of alcohol found in the blood while driving should be considered drunk driving. I'll take it a step further; if you are in a motor vehicle accident and are found to be drunk up to two hours before or after the motor vehicle accident, you should be treated as though you were drunk when the accident happened.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
That's key. It was on using a poster using "average" person, not everybody is average. There are bound to be people who take their alcohol better or worse, and one beer =/= drinking right up to the limit, which was what was being supported in the other thread. It's a stupid risk to take, and if you put other peoples lives at risk due to you not wanting to take a cab or whatever, you are a pretty massive scumbag.

A lot of laws and what not are based off the average of something.

EDIT: Also, the police can keep you from driving if they see fit. Just because your don't fail the test doesn't mean they will let you drive if you are acting drunk.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by Kay Z
I don't think the limit is the problem.. it's people who exceed the limit who cause the problem and lowering the limit wont make much difference.

I personally would never get behind the wheel after drinking any alcohol though.

Yes it is part of the problem. People think "oh well I think I'm right on the limit, I can drive rite guise? ololol nobody will get hurt." Drunk driving accidents do happen to people driving right on the limit, and people will go over that limit with this mindset. It's a stupid, unnecessary, selfish act that kills innocent people.
Quote by MightyAri

Quote by RockGuitar92
A lot of laws and what not are based off the average of something.

EDIT: Also, the police can keep you from driving if they see fit. Just because your don't fail the test doesn't mean they will let you drive if you are acting drunk.

your point? peoples driving skills can still be impaired on the limit, and people will die. The only way to stop drunk driving is with a zero tolerance policy.
Quote by MightyAri

My girlfriend died from a drunk driving accident this year from a guy who was borderline on the limit and was drunk driving.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
your point? peoples driving skills can still be impaired on the limit, and people will die. The only way to stop drunk driving is with a zero tolerance policy.

People will still drive drunk.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

My point is that the police can still stop that person from driving. I don't get how that's hard to comprehend. Whether the law is this or that they can still be stopped and not only that, just because the law could be a no tolerance law doesn't mean people won't still drive.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by Thrashtastic15
My girlfriend died from a drunk driving accident this year from a guy who was borderline on the limit and was drunk driving.

Was he speeding?Any other factors involved?
Quote by RockGuitar92
My point is that the police can still stop that person from driving. I don't get how that's hard to comprehend. Whether the law is this or that they can still be stopped and not only that, just because the law could be a no tolerance law doesn't mean people won't still drive.

It will decrease it, since there are idiots (read the last damn thread) who drink right up to the limit and drive on that limit (there are a lot of factors which will determine how above/below the limit they actually are, and they are reading from a chart that has "averages"). That's dangerous and irresponsible, and if there was a no tolerance policy they would stop. Anything to limit drunk driving is a good thing.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

if this is true, im really sorry man. I was thinking we were over-regualted, but i guess it still should be lowered if things like this happen
Page 1 of 5