Alright, my friend and i are having this discussion. Who has a less chance of getting big? A scholarship to college football and eventually going into the NFL. which only 1536 people are good enough for. Orrrrrr my side of things. Getting signed, or basically being successful in music. Sports in general is even a hard place to get big in, a small percentage can only be the best. Also, everything starts on a highschool level, so highschool sports vs. a highschool band kinda thing. Alright i have to leave for the night and ill be back in the morning soo discuss please.
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Last edited by IbanezRG2EX1 at Jun 16, 2010,
Depends... which one gives you erectile dysfunction?
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Statistically, he is less likely...

But based on your favorite bands, you are less likely.

<.<
>.>

jk, I woulda said that no matter who's on your list
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Gary Colem- oh, right.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
except you dont have to be in a highschool band to get signed. ever heard of the ramones
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
its hard to compare the two, because their are different levels of success in music. And with the right people to exploit the **** out of you like they do with justin beiber, all you have to do is be really lucky. But the basis of getting famous musically is based much more on luck than the basis of becoming a professional athlete. In other words, if your a talentless piece of shit, then your not getting into the NFL. But you can get into music, and be very successful...and for the record, I'm not directly calling justin beiber a talentless piece of shit.
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
Alright, my friend and i are having this discussion. Who has a less chance of getting big? A scholarship to college football and eventually going into the NFL. which only 1536 people are good enough for. Orrrrrr my side of things. Getting signed, or basically being successful in music. Sports in general is even a hard place to get big in, a small percentage can only be the best. Also, everything starts on a highschool level, so highschool sports vs. a highschool band kinda thing. Alright i have to leave for the night and ill be back in the morning soo discuss please.

and music isn't...honestly if he is amazingly superbly good he probably has a better chance. If you are a prodigy you probably have a better chance, if you both are average-good or worse you probably have around equally awful chances
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by Zaphikh
Depends... which one gives you erectile dysfunction?

My wife wasn't in the equation.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'd say you have more of a chance in music...but not much. Success in sports is more directly related to talent. You can't become a star quarterback just because you have a good publicist.
If you're asking which career pathway is more difficult to become famous with, I would say that of becoming a musician.

If you're asking which career pathway is more difficult to become successful with, I would say that of becoming a professional football player.

But really, the question is terrible worded and not very clear, so I have no idea what you are asking.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
It depends on how good he is at football. If you really do have the talent to play in the NFL, then you stand a pretty decent chance of making it there, but most people don't have that talent. As a musician though, you can be very talented and still slip through the cracks easily.

If he is just a good but not great football player, he has literally 0% chance of going to the NFL.

To be quite frank though, most likely neither of you have a snowball's chance in hell at getting big doing either of those things.
Sports is much harder because it is extremely competitive, you must be good otherwise you're off the roster. In Music there can be as many stars as there need to be. For modern professional sports you must be a physical freak AND work hard. In Music if you work hard you can succeed no matter what.

My grandmother lived in Arkansas in 1898 to a poor family. She grew up to be a world class Musician. Because she worked and worked and worked. And you can always pull a "Miley Cirus" And moan, very sexily, into a mic and have two personalities and make tons of money. Cant do that in sports. Unless your a cheerleader or a diva WR.
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
Quote by Msword7
and music isn't...honestly if he is amazingly superbly good he probably has a better chance. If you are a prodigy you probably have a better chance, if you both are average-good or worse you probably have around equally awful chances

Pretty much. It all depends on how good he is at sports/you are at music. Theres no way to really tell who has better chances, other than see how things play out.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
With music, you can still make a decent living even without making it famous.

Sports, there isn't a huge potential for $$$ outside of the major league shit.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
to chime in, getting signed doesn't guarantee success wheres getting a sports contract in the pros gets at least a few 100k a year.
I think the people that really try to get famous are the ones that end up overdosing or breaking up the band over stupid bullshit. discuss...
Depends who is less talented.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
On a side note, even if you are amazing become famous still relies very heavily on luck
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
I'd say getting a signed as a band is less likely than being a professional athlete...I mean, look at it this way, if the guy is actually good at football and is willing to put a LOT of time practicing then he has a pretty decent shot of making it. Sports are more of a on your own time kinda deal, meaning you don't have to rely on other people--you practice, you train, you play, you get noticed...

With a band there are way more variables...you all have to get along, be willing to practice your instrument, be creative enough to write good songs, have enough time to practice consistently and play gigs consistently, and hopefully get signed (assuming other people like your music too)
Quote by Msword7

I think the question was not whether he personally could make it big, but rather which industry has a higher rate of success
Quote by lockwolf
With music, you can still make a decent living even without making it famous.

Sports, there isn't a huge potential for $$$ outside of the major league shit.

^This
Most people fail to realize that you can make a descent amount of money even if you're only on a indie label, where as on a minor league in sports you don't have that.
I say it just depends on how well you market yourself, and how good you are at what you do.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
i wouldnt call it luck. its more of a driving force. cause my friends sister is an amazing songwritier/singer and she was offered a possible contract but sh turned it down cause she didnt want to miss prom. but someone less talented than her could now take her spot just because they want it more
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by sadSTATUE
Gary Colem- oh, right.

ಠ_ಠ

Dude
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
this is silly, it totally depends on individual skills and/or luck.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Also, atheletes can lose it all with one injury. Granted so can musicians, but you're far less likely to get a career ending injury in music than sports.

I'd say music is easier. All it takes is persistence and dropping lucky with a band that's willing to work and is fairly competent. While sportsmen must play at the top of their game individually and work their way up all the minor leagues etc.
Quote by Jackal58
My wife wasn't in the equation.

Your kids must despair reading some of your replies.
Alright, thanks everyone for the responses. I just wanted too see peoples opinions on this.
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module