How does everyone like JJ tubes. Both EL34s and 6L6s. Thetubedepot is having a 15% of sale on some JJ tubes and I was thinking about getting a pair of each.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I got a pair of KT77's that are amazing
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Haven't tried them in my Mesa yet. But I had groove tubes in my Music Man, then switched to JJ's, and from that moment I liked the amp a lot more. I also agree with them being dark, but that is a quality I like. (I only have experience with 6L6's and 12AX7's)
for power tubes? ya they are pretty dece. Better then average new production tubes. Stock up if you get a good price. I've used both jj el34s and jj 6l6s.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
^^hey, i wanted JJ's in my music man, but the tech said they couldn't handle the higher plate voltage! wtf. oh well.

i like the JJ el84's and think they are one of the best el84's on the market. i haven't heard overly great things about the EL34's (most people favor the tung sol's for el34's). i have a set of the JJ 6V6's as well, also a great tube. no experience with their 6L6's or KT's. their preamp tubes are good and i have tried just about all of them. their ecc803's have a great woody tone, the rest of their preamp tubes don't stand out really, but they do the job well.

btw, it is my belief that there is no 'really good quality' production vacuum tube out there that is readily available to the masses. no companies that mass produce vacuum tubes submit to stringent standards or QA processes, therefore there are many dud tubes that happen through. also the tolerances for these tubes is not very exact. GONE are the day of mass amounts of new military grade vacuum tubes, no one will make them to such exact standards anymore.

so i recommend a 3rd that institutes a QA program. people like EuroTubes.com actually but tons of tubes, test them, throw out the duds, and then will match the tubes to specs. for example, if you want a matched set of EL34's then EuroTubes will hand match you a pair far better than a factory match. you want 12AX7's? well 12AX7's have a far wider tolerance for gain factors, they'll test from the lower 90's to near 110 in their gain factor and EuroTubes will hook you up with 'hotter' or 'colder' 12AX7's.

cool dude. plus he helps make sure you don't get duds.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ Well that's what places like the Tubedepot do as well. They match them as if you want high gain 12ax7s and such. Anyway. Both of my amps can use either EL34s, 6L6s, KT88,KT77,KT66 tubes. Right now they both use KT88s so I was just thinking of going for a little bit of a different sound. Seeing the sale for 15% on both EL34s and 6L6s JJs I was just curious. I have used 6L6 JJs before but It's been a long time.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to hop on this.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
JJ is arguably the best manufactured valve in the world. It's the old Slovakian Tesla factory that just keeps churning out quality like they have for decades. Business as usual. Probably the closest to NOS quality you can get.
Like all valve makes, they have their own sound. Sometimes it's good to throw in another valve in the preamp for tonal reasons but only because JJ 12AX7s can be a bit dark. In the power section? Rich and powerful and in my experience very reliable. Hard to beat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the eurotubes.com link. There is excellent information on that site. I'll be ordering a set for my F-50 in the future. I'm really interested to see the differences in the JJ's from the Mesa (which are not really Mesa) tubes that are in there now.
Quote by gumbilicious
^^hey, i wanted JJ's in my music man, but the tech said they couldn't handle the higher plate voltage! wtf. oh well.
Interesting. The caps started to blow in my Music Man and it was shorting across the board. It automatically blew tubes and required a retube along with new caps, and my tech just automatically put JJ's in it because he said they are much much better quality. Since the amp sounded a lot better I'm glad he did. (And if your wondering I did play the Grove Tubes for almost a year before the amp had theses problems, so I had a good before and after.)
Groove Tubes test, match and rebadge JJs too. They are the ones with the S (For Slovakia) in the item number. The devil's in the details.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
JJ is arguably the best manufactured valve in the world. It's the old Slovakian Tesla factory that just keeps churning out quality like they have for decades. Business as usual. Probably the closest to NOS quality you can get.
Like all valve makes, they have their own sound. Sometimes it's good to throw in another valve in the preamp for tonal reasons but only because JJ 12AX7s can be a bit dark. In the power section? Rich and powerful and in my experience very reliable. Hard to beat.

Have you tried SED stuff? I liked them better than JJs, although they're not as rugged.

And Gumbi, I thought JJs were just about the only modern tube that could handle the massive plate voltage in the MM amps?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i'm pretty sure jj, eh, sovtek are all owned by electro harmonix and they just got rebadged. I think tungsol as well. I do think the best tubes go to jj though or at least all the tubes with similar characteristics. Others go to eh, sovtek, tungsol etc.

I like SED's a lot. I actually think TAD tubes are my favorite new production tubes by far. Their 6l6s and 12ax7s are better then the other ones I've tried by far.

hmmm. you see, i didn't do much research on this one so i am not as informed on specs. but about 4 years ago my music man 212hd-150 needed some work so i got a retube as well. i requested JJ's but he imformed me that my choices were limited with the plate voltage requirements. he had JJ 6L6GC's in stock, which is one reason i requested them, but he ordered svetlana's for the amp...

i wonder now. i should have checked the specs...

-ae
Quote by AcousticMirror
i'm pretty sure jj, eh, sovtek are all owned by electro harmonix and they just got rebadged. I think tungsol as well. I do think the best tubes go to jj though or at least all the tubes with similar characteristics. Others go to eh, sovtek, tungsol etc.

I like SED's a lot. I actually think TAD tubes are my favorite new production tubes by far. Their 6l6s and 12ax7s are better then the other ones I've tried by far.

I think EH just owns Sovtek/New Sensor. Don't quote me on that though. I still haven't tried any TAD tubes but I really want to try their 7025. I hear it's the shit.

^Yea, check the specs. I could have sworn I saw somewhere a discussion on using the old MM trannies for a Dumble clone and they had to use JJs to be able to handle the plate voltage.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jun 17, 2010,
what was the plate voltage? the jj 6l6s are supposed to be able to handle anything.

hey gumbi have you ever used the cryo frozen tubes? i wonder if its just a gimmick.

It is from what I've heard from a lot of reliable sources. E-mail a couple of the more reliable boutiquers like Randall Aiken and Andy Fuchs about it, they'd know more. I've never felt the urge to spend the extra money.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

In general the quality of the JJ valves is pretty good but I have had a lot of trouble with their GZ34 valves and their 6V6 valves. About half of the GZ34's that come into my shop get thrown out because they have an audible buzz that sounds like a fluorescent light that is burning out. The problem with the 6V6 valves is that it's common for their internal components to rattle. This can cause microphonics when playing loud and if you are playing quiet then you hear the valve rattling over the sound of the amp.

All the other JJ valves I've used have been fine in terms of quality. I prefer Tung Sol and TAD valves over JJ but I like bright amps. JJ makes dark sounding valves
i've heard people say that there aren't any really good new production 6v6s at all.

andy fuchs thinks i'm annoying i can't call him anymore.

But a lot of modern rectifier tubes have problems in my (somewhat limited) experience. I've never heard of problems with the 6V6s other than the occasional rattle, they're the most rugged in production right now.

EDIT: ^ Try Aiken then.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^The 6V6 tube rattle is the problem and even though is only about 1 in 4 tubes that seem to have a problem, if you are using matched sets then 1 bad valve means 2 valves that you can't use.

Quote by AcousticMirror
i've heard people say that there aren't any really good new production 6v6s at all.

Their aren't, and unfortunately the NOS 6V6 valves burn out too fast in blackface amps. It's even worse if you have a vintage blackface that was designed to have the 5u4 rectifier and run on 110 volts

TAD started selling a high voltage 6V6 this year that I've got in my princeton right now. Haven't had any problems with them but haven't been using them long either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I do like their tone better than the JJ's.
I have the Music Man 50RD head with 2, JJ-6L6GC's in it. (Not sure if the 50RD has much different specks, I've only got reverb and distortion.) And it definately works, because it sounds so go I can't sell it even though I want to. (I haven't found a way to get close on my F-50 to the cleans on the Music Man... there's just something about that Music Man...)
Quote by AcousticMirror
andy fuchs thinks i'm annoying i can't call him anymore.

haha, care to elaborate?
Quote by AcousticMirror
what was the plate voltage? the jj 6l6s are supposed to be able to handle anything.

hey gumbi have you ever used the cryo frozen tubes? i wonder if its just a gimmick.

you're testing my memory now... wanna say near 700 volts? that sounds huge though, so i may be mistaken.

no, haven't heard of cryo frozen tubes. sounds like BS to me since you have to heat a tube to work... i'd believe more in better and more stringent QA.

is cryo frozen a brand?

-ae
i called him too much about his amp asking questions. and emailed him like 600 times lol.

700 seems either super high are super awesome...that might be pushing it.

I know the slo pushes like 500...?

black sable is tubedepot house cryo brand.

^^All of your questions had to be answered by Andy? You couldn't turn to UG for half of them?

Not to push us further off topic, but anyone know why Mesa's fixed bias amps are set so cold? Why would they do that?
> Anyone know about these amps?
> A quad of 6L6's, getting 150 watts...
> 670V on the plates at the high power
> setting, is this right?

It usually closer to 700V. These amps run in class B and use a solid state cathode drive.

i have found many things like this.

-ae
Quote by FrenchBread

Not to push us further off topic, but anyone know why Mesa's fixed bias amps are set so cold? Why would they do that?

because Mesa amps are designed for preamp distortion, not power tube saturation. Biasing the valves cold gives the amp more headroom.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 17, 2010,
Thank you for the reply corduroy,
so this basically means players that desire preamp distortion, typically do not desire power tube saturation with that? Because I would think power tube distortion would be desired, but I'm guessing it gets too "mushy"?
I replaced the EL34 Ruby tubes in my Genz Benz El Diablo with JJ EL34s. And was happy with the change...Not a HUGE change, seemed like a little more shimmer on top.
Then I put in the JJ ECC83S in place of all the pre-amp tubes (V1 had already been changed to a JJ) and again, not a big change...seemed like a little more gain, but nothing drastic.
In my Bugera 6262 I put in JJ 6L6GC tubes...now THAT was a nice change!!! Even setting the bias properly (35-40mA) with the old tubes (Sovtek?) never came close to the JJs. The low end punch was MUCH better! Better midrange as well, but the low end blew me away..hit you in the chest kinda bass, not muddy at all.
Looking forward to trying JJs in my pre-amp spots...but for now, loving the 6L6GCs
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Changed out all the tubes in my ENGL Savage to JJ Tubes (All ECC83s in preamp section and KT88's in the power section) and I even put a JJ ECC83s in my rocktron prophesy

To my ears the JJ's darkened the Savage a little, reduced the "Fizz" I had in the top end when I had Sovtek power amp valves in and made the amp sound tighter, more compressed. All in all I am very happy with the JJ's and don't think I will use any other brand of tube again.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by FrenchBread
^^All of your questions had to be answered by Andy? You couldn't turn to UG for half of them?

tube biasing for a dumble circuit? modding my ods100...
transformer characteristics of fender iron in my amp vs his production iron.
his favorite settings...
possible upgrades, tube swaps, questions about his other amps blah blah blah blah. he's really nice but also a busy man.

ya cold = less power tube distortion.

^cold bias will clip harder if you bias it too cold...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The previous owner of my Mesa F-30 loaded it up with JJ El-84s. They sound great, but I haven't really compared them to anything else. Probably won't, either.
Quote by ECistheBest
^cold bias will clip harder if you bias it too cold...

that's why randall smith is a genius.