Hey I'm a 24 year old guitarist from Wollongong, Australia. Bout an hour south of Sydney for those of you who are familiar with Australia.

I've been playing guitar since 19ish and I'm at that stage where my playing is getting pretty decent and credible. I'm thinking when I finish University next year of possibly moving to America or the UK for a year or 2 to try and give it a go playing in a band. Worse comes to worse I get a year or 2 holiday and I'm right back where I started.

I play mainly indie rock etc. Mainly Garage Rock, Post-Punk revival a bit of blues etc. So white stripes, Black keys, Oasis, The Kooks etc.

I'm ofcourse going to think bout this all quite allot before I make a decision but which nation do people think is better for that music scene, America or the UK and which cities also? i know the major ones but I'm not 100% sure which cities have the indie scene booming :P
Rock was born in America, and it hasn't gone anywhere.

EDIT: ↓↓↓ Uh, no, this thread will be completely unbiased. >_> <_<

stick to the plan dammit
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Jun 16, 2010,
Post-Punk = UK
Garage Rock/Blues = USA
Post-Rock = Canada
Twee, Dream Pop, Shoegaze, Baroque Pop, and every other indie subgenre = Doesn't matter.

EDIT: There are few American shoegaze bands, actually.
Last edited by RawPower218 at Jun 17, 2010,
i don't know too much about indie, but the san francisco area has a great music scene for pretty much any genre imaginable.

also austin, tx
Go Veg.
All the best guitarists come from England. But Australia is the greatest country in the world.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Stay in Australia.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by metaldud536
Well most of the UK'ers are asleep right now so you'll mostly get answers by Americans

Well I'm from the UK and still awake, and I cannot state more emphatically that TS should go to America. This place is a shithole mate.
it's more about which city or area than the country as a whole for america. very diverse music scenes.

california, seattle, new york, etc.

canada is good too.
Oh, you DO want a free demo?
Go to the UK. Us folk in the US will laugh at you continuously when you tell us you're from Woolyboolygongabangor Wherever.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by d(^o^)b
is moving to another country that easy ?

Must be. Mexicans do it all the time.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Come to the US.

People here will be more fascinated by the fact that you are from Australia. The Brits won't care.

Plus people here will like the accent more.
Quote by Jackal58
Must be. Mexicans do it all the time.

haha, but seriously is it that easy, i need to get out of the shithole i live in
America gave birth to rock.

Then with the British Invasion, England got custody and raised it for a fair bit, really making it into the grown man-woman-music-thing it is today.

Then it consented back to America in the late 70's to around about now.

England still gets to see it though. My understanding is(ENglish UGers correct me if wrong since I haven't researched it extensively) that the English scene is more geared towards old 60's/70's rock and the new wave of American blues(John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa, White Stripes, Black Keys, etc.), while the US scene seems generally more centered towards pop, pop-hard rock(Nickelback, Shinedown, etc.) and metal.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Its more about the city you are in, and less about the country.

move to america/uk for other reasons...such as job opportunities, atmosphere, culture, living expenses, family, etc.

because music scenes come and go, but there will always be one. i mean shit, look at my city. sure, 4 big bands came out of it in the 90's, but theres still an excellent music scene here and there always will be.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
you have no idea just how amazing a good foreign accent like british or australian sounds to american ears
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
UK is in America...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by TSmitty6
Its more about the city you are in, and less about the country.

move to america/uk for other reasons...such as job opportunities, atmosphere, culture, living expenses, family, etc.

this. but if you want my opinion, america is better
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Piscasis
Come to Canada, we have the best of both of them.

Yet you can't quite be as good as either.

That must be a terrible feeling.

*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by daytripper75

Just ask Habs fans.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by daytripper75

I no, I'm so offended. I'm just gonna go in my room and drink my milk from the bag and eat poutine while I lather myself in maple syrup, mumbling to myself in french and watching Trailer Park Boys.

Yeah.
Quote by Piscasis
I no, I'm so offended. I'm just gonna go in my room and drink my milk from the bag and eat poutine while I lather myself in maple syrup, mumbling to myself in french and watching Trailer Park Boys.

Yeah.
Man, I want to eat poutine so badly.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I honestly believe you will have a better chance here in the US. As far as where to go if its the whole post-punk revival sound head to New York for the most part. Seattle is great as a maybe noise rock or folk and Los Angeles is just a good mixture all around. I'm obviously biased since I live in Los Angeles and I myself believe the indie sound is flourishing here.