Hey

My band has had a bit of success locally, winning the interschool botb just before we finished highschool (done now) and have built up a decent fan base, however its more just friends as it is difficult to get gigs in our town and we mainly play small open mic nights and house parties. I think we are decent but the aim of the band is more for fun than anything. Anyway we are about to embark on a recording process, just a garage thing with a 400-500 dollar (australian) recording device and basic soundproofing. The content will be original (there will be 1 cover on there but its very different from the original). Anyway we were going to record and mix this ourselves and sell it as a garage ep to fans and such and i'm wondering whats a good price (in australian dollars) to charge for it? We'll be doing our own cover art and such on computers but the packaging wont be anything fancy, just whatever we can get at our local stores to do ourselves and obviously the recordings won't be professional quality, but we hope they work out well.

Anyway, what is a good price for this EP? Loosing a bit of money isn't a problem, but we wouldn't mind getting a little bit back to help with recording costs
I would charge $3 to 4 depending on the number of songs.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
A few bucks... maybe a fiver is a good play to start.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
until you get into the studio and really lay down a more professional sounding recording, going free might be the best way at it. keep your fans happy with material, maybe win over some new people. if you're intent to make a little money, i've seen some local bands here do something that they pretty much described as "pay whatever you feel we're worth". meaning you could get it for free if you wanted, or pay $50 if you really wanted. they let you judge. after talking to them after, they said almost nobody took it for free, and averaged about $3 per copy anyway for it.

so that might be a good idea
Quote by Feel bad inc.
Forgot to mention, 9 songs, should be about half an hour in length

Woah - there's some short songs you have there. A tad over 3 minutes each.

Anyways, if you're recording track-by-track, it'll take much longer than you think it will. You may want to keep it to 3-4 songs like most demos/eps are.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It's hard to say. If you package it nicely (cover art, liner notes) and have the copying (of the CDs) and printing (of the art and notes) done professionally I'd say you can probably charge $5 per, but you'll probably have to spend about a $1.00-1.50 (per unit) to have them made... If you just burn copies and sharpie the info on them and put them in cheap paper sleeves you *might* be able to charge a dollar.

Also, I'd definitely say that depends on the quality of the recording, both in terms of the takes/tunes and the actual production values. Well-packaged $h!t is still $h!t and un-packaged gold is still golden, if you get my drift.
Last edited by RadioMuse at Jun 17, 2010,
Although it's not the exactly same, I'd recommend giving this thread a read. Also, my opinion is still the same on this topic, and I didn't want to type everything out again.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by Black Star
Although it's not the exactly same, I'd recommend giving this thread a read. Also, my opinion is still the same on this topic, and I didn't want to type everything out again.

Everytime I see these threads and am about to post the same thing you come in first!!! Hahaha. Anyway, read exactly what he said, as this is how demos should be sold. Period.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Quote by AlanHB
Woah - there's some short songs you have there. A tad over 3 minutes each.

Anyways, if you're recording track-by-track, it'll take much longer than you think it will. You may want to keep it to 3-4 songs like most demos/eps are.

Short songs are always fun to listen to Though it is nice to have some longer songs mixed in.
Are you expecting to sell more than 50 copies? Is it recorded, mixed and mastered to radio quality? Is it semi-professionally duplicated and printed (ie not your mum's inkjet printer)?

If not, drop the bullshit and call it a
DEMO

Alright, maybe you guys are going for a garage-punk DIY aesthetic, which is cool, but even the rawest punk CD has to be produced well enough that people will want to listen to it.
That $500 could probably get you 1-3 professionally recorded tracks, with perhaps a little left over for lightscribe artwork and clear plastic wallets.

I suggest you do that, instead of blowing your money on budget recording equipment you don't know how to use.

However, if one of you has a genuine interest in learning to record and mix, then you might as well go for it. Be aware that it'll be a year or two (and likely at least $500 of gear) before they can produce anything worthy of peoples' cash.

DIY recording without experience isn't good, because you end up focusing on the recording process more than the music itself. When you go to a good studio, all you have to do is concentrate on playing as best you can, to get your songs exactly how you want them...
/rant

And since this question comes up so much, I've made a handy chart...

For recording, the cost of a single intermediate "pro-sumer" mic and licencing the one cover song will eat up your $400-500 recording budget.

On the other hand, you could book probably two full days in a home project studio with someone who already knows what they're doing and has some decent enough gear to get you a decent enough recording and still stay within your budget.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks for all the help guys, With the recording I do have an interest in it and have had some experience with it which id like to extend. I'm thinking now we'll probably just do it for the cost of the cd's and give a ton out free to places we want to play. Thanks!
Quote by kyle62
*Chart*

That things insane man :L I do agree though, you have to solidly know what your doing to record something at home, and know your plugin's and DAW inside out, whether it be a demo or anything, and to contribute to the thread, if your not sure what to sell it at, sell it fairly cheeply, because hey, you wanna get your name out there, if you suddenly get a huge sure in sales, that's when it may be worth bringing up the price a little bit, and mabey recording some new songs and stuff

P.S if you put a cover on there and don't get the rights for it, you risk getting yaww ass sued
Last edited by theepiczebra at Jun 24, 2010,
Free man. People aren't going to buy anything from a nobody unless they've heard you before.

Just give it away, tell them to spread the word and get others listening.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.