Always the curious ones spotting new things. So what is she checking out?

It is in fact:

A Vox AC30 amplug.

Well if this is a NAD (is it a NAD? It's sort of an amp) I'd better give it a review of sorts.

I actually ordered the Lead version of this which has a digital delay (fixed delay time) which was actually the same price as the AC30 one but they sent me the wrong one. I think I'm glad they did, but more on that later.

Features:
Gain, Tone, Volume, headphones jack, aux in (for your mp3 player), power switch.

So how does it sound? Well the marketing blurb says:
"AC30 emulates the AC30 top boost sound of a vintage VOX AC30."
So does it? Well no. Does it get close? Again no. You'd have to have one hell of an imagination to think you were listening to an AC30, even the recording of an AC30.
If you are hoping for those gorgeous AC30 clean tones forget it. Even with the gain control down as low as it will go before you just can't hear it anymore it isn't clean. Winding back the volume on the guitar doesn't get you there either.
Well if this is the cleaner amp I'd hate to think what the lead one is like. Perhaps they did me a favour after all.

But is it ok to use? As long as you aren't after a nice clean tone then sure. Lots of fun to play blues on. Not even close to any valve amp regardless of what the bs artists in their marketing department say but definitely useable for those times when even a Champ is too loud.

It's just a plastic case. Fairly solid but I wouldn't want to step on it. I got it for $64 from Musos Cprner delivered to my door, they usually cost about $100 here so it wasn't a bad deal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 17, 2010,
your guitar is so cool

wait dude what guitar is that. that's not the ibanezes or the gilchrist right.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 17, 2010,
looks like an ibanez iceman

edit: J Yeunger from White Zombie played one, he was my favs back in high school.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
your guitar is so cool

wait dude what guitar is that. that's not the ibanezes or the gilchrist right.

I believe it to be a Fernandes Ravelle? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Metalheadit:

I believe I am wrong... but I've been drinking so its okay.

Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jun 17, 2010,
just curious could you run your guitar through an effect and then plug this thing into the effect. i cant see why not, but has it ever been done?
Its an ibanez iceman
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

That is in fact my Ibanez Iceman (with an original old '81 Seymour Duncan "The Mag" in the bridge)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have one of the Amplugs (metal type one). It's really nothing spectacular but they're some of the better headphone amps that actually do the job. Great for traveling, that's about it.
I like your cat.

But it's good to hear that those amplugs aren't what they say they are, I was confused at how they were claiming good tone for something that insignificant looking!

But then again, headphone practice amps are never meant to have perfect tone! Enjoy it.
hey Cathbard, I have the Amplug lead and I wouldn't worry too much about you getting the AC30 - the delay is set to a single setting and the tap tempo etc cannot be changed, it also sounds pretty bad. The only good thing is it does clean up quite well, but think 5150 cleans, not good ones.
I am actually wondering if it could benefit from new batteries. I am using the ones that came with it so who knows how good they are. The little LED is pretty bright so they are probably fine. Still, couldn't hurt to buy a new pair.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Update:

I tried a better set of headphones and it made the world of difference. I didn't have to crank the volume as much and managed to get a clean sound out of it. Not bad; a long way from AC30 cleans but quite useable. I think I'm going to enjoy this gadget. I love the way you can plug the mp3 player into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
nice

cute cat too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rkp1992
just curious could you run your guitar through an effect and then plug this thing into the effect. i cant see why not, but has it ever been done?

I can't see why not. I'll try my Morley through it later and see.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I love my AC30 Amplug... Its great for late night practicing. The gain is actually pretty pleasent for what it is. I have some real fun running my whole board through it at 2 am hammered and making weird noises.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by rkp1992
Yeah, it works...Sometimes. Back when mine still worked (I slipped and smashed it on a sidewalk, it was in my guitar case), it would usually work, but sometimes end up refusing to work, either with no sound, or just start oscillating like crazy. I think it was possibly to do with batteries running low.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Did you really ignore my attempt to trade an Ashdown Fallen Angel for your kitty!?

Wow...

Well I didn't really take you that seriously. She is a good cat though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well I didn't really take you that seriously. She is a good cat though.

How is she when it comes to teh toanz? She looks she would produce a nice American-voiced clean, but I'm just assuming because I don't know anything about that particular model of cat.
@ Werewolf: That's a Quadrasynth above it too. That rack has both my guitar an keyboards gear in it atm

@metalhead: Lots of top end and not much bass. Feline punk toanz.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
those things are cool

amplugs, not cats. cat's are hilarious.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.