I already posted this in one forum section but no one replied so im taking it that it was the wrong seciton so ill post it here.

Hey. This is most forum post so I am not very familiar with this website. So forgive me if this is in the wrong section.
I learned the stairway to heaven solo a week ago. It took me about a week to completely get down, and it could always use more work. I have been only playing for three months, so i am not expecting to much of myself. Anyways. I also learned the first comfortably numb solo is sounds cool but isnt that hard. So what do you think about the difficulty of comfortably numb 2nd solo. how hard is it and what should i do to preare for it? im not good at playing at extreme speeds and it sounds like there are some fast parts. Should i try it anyways?
you're not gonna know until you try! download the gutiar pro or something, then you can slow it down and work up the speed on your own.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
It's not that hard to get this solo to sound somewhat identifiable. The difficult part is nailing all the bends and playing everything in time, etc. If you're a perfectionist who isn't satisfied until he can get this solo to sound EXACTLY right, boy are you in for a challenge

Don't worry tho: the kind of technique and finesse that's required for this kind of bluesy soloing comes with practice. What you should focus on right now is knowing HOW this song is supposed to be played exactly. Try to play it without a tab first, just to check how good you are at learning a song by ear. Then look up some tabs and start practicing slowly, memorizing all the right notes and bends, using your pinky, watching some Youtube videos to learn about different kinds of possible fingerings, etc...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jun 17, 2010,
Welcome to the forums.

It is not the hardest solo ever: but it is THE GREATEST SOLO EVER WRITTEN OF ALL TIME. That's why I refuse to learn it even though I could because it is just so legendary. Good Luck.
Where's Waldo?
I'm a perfectionist like the guy above me. Yes, it's a challenge, but worth it.

I started working on it in early December, and still don't feel like I'm ready to play it out yet. And that's not like I tried it a few times; I've been working on it 1-3 hours a day amongst other practice. It's just not easy to get all the bends and timing perfect.

That said, it's well worth it. It's identifiable, it's fairly impressive, and my favorite part? You can pour a -lot- of emotion into it. It's my favorite solo, which is why I decided to learn it, and it's made me a better player in all regards.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
You don't need to play fast to nail Gilmour - it's all about feel and timing.

I play this song in a coverband, and play the first solo as per the original, but the second is all improvised. This chord progression was made to jam over.

Maybe play a few of the signature licks from the original, but the rest is all open for your own interpretation.

That's my thoughts anyway.
That's true. It's even more obvious when you listen to it live- after a while, just start soloing over B. It's awesome.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
So would it be an accurate conclusion to assume that i am pretty buch allowed to play anything in b minor pentatonic scale and that it would be even better if it somewaht fit the rythm and tabs of the actual solo?
Do not forget to learn the rhythm also not just the lead.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.