This is the second DS-1 that I modded in the past 3 days, this one belonging to the guitarist in my one band who hated it before. I did Brian Wampler's vintage mod (titling mine "A-Top's Super Jawsome Happy Fun Time Destruction 9000 Mod" ) which makes the DS-1 a great pedal. Now it sounds spectacular, it's really thick sounding without any fizzyness or harshness in the high end. I filmed a demo, watch me butcher Megadeth's Holy Wars towards the end.

And here's the video demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pODPQcdkMik

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
i am unfamiliar with his mod. when we mod the ds-1 we pop the op amp, buffer, tone stack and diode clipping section to a slave board and plug things into it there. sounds great with a new diodes in the clipping section (uses zener's stock!) and with upgraded caps and transistor in the buffer and a little adjustment to make the volume knob usable (usually do a big muff tone stack on it). we seem to be stuck on using LED's in the diode clipping section as well, great tone.

what did you end up putting in there?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Avedas, my mod is very professionally conducted as you can tell.

Gumbi, I would have loved to change out the opamp, but I don't want to mess with the inline one and I'm not sure if I could get inline opamps locally. What I did was change out one clipping diode for a red LED for some really nice asymmetrical clipping (the stock zeners sound bad, the old Japanese DS-1s used different diodes which sounded a lot better apparently). Then I increased the input cap before the first BJT gain stage for more bass. The other big part was some part swaps in the tonestack which make it a lot more usable (changes in the rolloff frequencies).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
^we have found germanium diodes on old jap boss od's. they used to use good stuff.

the inline op amp was one reason we slaved everything to another board, we pulled the opamp on the ds-1 board and ran wires to the slave board where it has the 'harness' or w/e to slip chips in. we have it so you can go inline or 4-a-side, makes op amp replacement real simple.

we have experimented with the op amps much, but i am sure we will so we were kinda thinking ahead on that one.

new caps will 'take a blanket off' that pedal, changes the values to throw a bit more junk away is good too. making the tone knob usable is key to making that pedal better... and LED's in the clipping section, gotta love it, makes it much more amp like.

-ae
actually, i was trying to find pictures of it, but it doesn't look like i have any.

basically an buddy and me have been trying to find was to streamline moding/making pedals. modeling much like the way PC's internals are (modular, fairly accessible, workable without a need to deep understanding). we basically hack out the important stuff on the main board, then handmake/crimp connectors and run them to a perf board with a bunch of 'plug-in' stuff. so the mods aren't supposed to be one thing necessarily, they are supposed to facilitate whatever you want. quickly and easily.

the idea is to sell a 30 to 50 dollar mod that allows you to plug all the cheap electronics you want in there and customize it to the owner likings, usually without a tool.

right now we are working on etching the design for prototyping.

i was interested in Dr. MD's mod cuz i wanted to see what people were doing, and to see if they are having the same wants/desires as we are. WE WANT FREEDOM FROM CHEAP INLINE OPAMPS! liberation is at hand. remove that op amp, run the wires to the perfboard and match up the pins and now you have tons of opamps to throw in.

-ae
Gumbi, I definitely hate the inline opamp. Why the hell do they still even use the damn thing? Use a DIP package chip, Boss! Grrr!
Yeah, I know what you are talking about and I've seen people do it, Monte Allums has those kinds of boards for some of their mods. I would made a secondary board and all, but I'm lazy and I wanted to get this done for my guitarist before we practice on Friday.
Regarding changing out all the cheap caps, I don't see the point. Yes, it will slightly improve the tone, but not nearly as much as some circuit modifications. A good circuit will sound good even with cheap parts unlike a bad circuit with the most expensive parts. Some Keeley mod is just that and apparently it's not that good.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Holy crap, that sounds amazing. What mods did you do exactly? Do you have a link?

Bam! Have fun.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Feb/Boss_DS_1_Mods.aspx

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

i wasn't that convinced either, til we made a board with some switches on there. we switched between the stock caps, box caps, and panasonic caps. i felt the better caps let you hear more of what you're modifying, opens the pedal to hear what you did.

though, if i could only change 1 thing on the pedal for the most effect, i'd probably do the clipping section. caps would be around 4 or 5 on the list.

-ae
Yeah, I would have totally done it, but I don't have any really nice caps on me anyhow, so it wasn't really an option.
Clipping diodes make a huge difference, definitely that first. I love LEDs as clipping diodes, they sound so dynamic and open.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I really want to get a DS-1 just so I can mod it haha. This sounds phenomenal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments