So tell me...Why is it sometimes when each member of a band is quite skilled individually sounds terrible when they come together?

Equipment sucks for the most part...but can equipment really make the entire band sound like trash

Any General ideas or reasons
Quote by Zayrank
Equipment sucks for the most part...but can equipment really make the entire band sound like trash

If that's the genre they're going for.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
skill =/= good

That's why
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Because you guys need to work on your sound probably. In my experience this lies primarily with the lead and rythm guitars.
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by slaptasticdave
skill =/= good

That's why

My thoughts exactly. Just because you can play well individually doesn't mean that you will mesh well as a band. It just takes time for a band to come together and get their sound down.
I need you to be awesome, can you be awesome for me?
Quote by Echohead
Chemistry; equipment is never to blame!

+1

chemistry is crucial in a band sounding good. The members have to know how to and be able to work with each other musically. Members with good chemistry will be able to accentuate the qualities and positive aspects of the others skills. Often the group of exceptional players will get in the way of each other when they play. You can have all the skill in the world in a band, but if you don't have a good balance in the playing it will sound awful.
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Example of a 3 piece band:

Guitarist: Ok guys lemme start (starts shredding)
Drummer: *nods and starts soloing*
Bassist doesn't wanna look like he is a total noobzor so does his best and solos his heart out.

Do you see where this could get ugly?

All may be skilled but you don't want skill to get in the way of making good music.
Just because you can shread/drum like a beast/pluck the same one note till the chord changes doesn't mean you're gonna sound good together. You've gotta be able to work well with others.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by rebel rocker
+1

chemistry is crucial in a band sounding good. The members have to know how to and be able to work with each other musically. Members with good chemistry will be able to accentuate the qualities and positive aspects of the others skills. Often the group of exceptional players will get in the way of each other when they play. You can have all the skill in the world in a band, but if you don't have a good balance in the playing it will sound awful.

Indeed!
I agree with the chemistry notion. I like to think of it as having so much talent within a band that no one knows how the hell to handle it, and that it just goes to shit.
I've seen bands of people who all think they're the shit... individually. So every song is just a mash up of 4 different people trying to show off at the same time. It kills me.
"You don't need any hairspray, Clarence... You don't have any hair."

'Ave atque vale'
I shall rise again, Bardo of the flesh
well if you have a cocky but awesome guitarist obviously hes going to show of. if you have two guitarist the second is going to be like 'wtf must outplay him' which confuses the drummer and bass which may go out of time, since the bass and drums are key to keeping everything in time, everything will fall apart!
http://www.youtube.com/user/charliegray12212

check out my youtube channel for guitar covers.

Quote by Radman_Paiza
I saw it with my dudefriend. But I'm totally not gay, because I have a girlfriend. She's imaginary, but atleast I have one.