Alright so I'm buying a Vox Ac4tv amp. The output rating is 16 ohms. It's a 4 watt tube amp that cranks pretty nicely. I happened upon a very vintage speaker cabinet. I ended up getting this cabinet for free (an old local electrician hand made it). The speaker inside is a 12" Jensen SG-222, which is 8 ohms.

Apparently this speaker is very nice, but doesn't handle lows too well. The cabinet it is inside of can fit another 8" speaker, possibly a 10".

If I wire in series a modern 8" woofer that has an impedance rating of 8 ohms, that will make the total impendence 16 ohms which will match my amp, correct?

Also, will I need any sort of crossover in the cab so that it directs the lows to the woofer without capping out the Jensen 12"?

Is there anything that I'm not considering that would keep this from working? Should I just sell the speaker and use modern speakers in this cab?

Any suggestions for an affordable 8" woofer that is 8 ohms?

Any help at all is appreciated.

(not sure whether to post this in here or the mod forum...I'll delete whichever one is incorrect)
It's intended for mainly clean indie music, but will be used with a punch sometimes. Here's my band's first sample
http://theevening.bandcamp.com

Vocals are kind of rough there and fixed now. So don't mind them :p

I did some measurements and I can fit in 2 10" speakers. So does anyone have some speaker recommendations to make a Vox Ac4tv amp shine for the above posted guitar style?
yes 2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in series will give you 16. Yes you want to match to 16.

with the Vox AC4TV I would get the highest rated 'clean' speakers you can find as the amp breaks up quickly already. I'm a fan of the Eminence and WGS and Weber stuff as lower cost but can't name a speaker off the top of my head so bump.

Also Celestion just came out with a 10" Vintage 30 flav that might do too. Depends on where you live, budget, and propensity to go used. ?
Quote by pint07
Alright so I'm buying a Vox Ac4tv amp. The output rating is 16 ohms. It's a 4 watt tube amp that cranks pretty nicely. I happened upon a very vintage speaker cabinet. I ended up getting this cabinet for free (an old local electrician hand made it). The speaker inside is a 12" Jensen SG-222, which is 8 ohms.

the jenson is a fullrange speaker rated for 25 watts. has a unique 6 cell design

(Invalid img)

very interesting speaker, don't know how good it would be for guitar, worth a try for sure.

Quote by pint07
If I wire in series a modern 8" woofer that has an impedance rating of 8 ohms, that will make the total impendence 16 ohms which will match my amp, correct?

yes, (2) 8 ohm speakers wired in series is a total of 16 ohms.

Quote by pint07
Also, will I need any sort of crossover in the cab so that it directs the lows to the woofer without capping out the Jensen 12"?

Is there anything that I'm not considering that would keep this from working? Should I just sell the speaker and use modern speakers in this cab?

8" woofer? crossover? fullrange jenson? different sized speakers? are you designing a hifi cab or a guitar cab? (as an aside, there are guitar cabs with full range speakers, early sunn drivers and EV speakers are popular full range speakers used for guitar cabs)

there are many differences in the concepts of signal sourcing and signal reproduction, and the frequency range of the guitar is usually not demanding enough to warrant hifi tactics. most guitar cabs use no crossover, no hi-fi speakers, and usually one size of speaker (12" speaker is usually the case).

Quote by pint07
Any suggestions for an affordable 8" woofer that is 8 ohms?

there are plenty of jenson copies from weber.

Quote by 311
with the Vox AC4TV I would get the highest rated 'clean' speakers you can find as the amp breaks up quickly already.

do you mean a higher wattage rated speaker?

if that is the case, i'd actually disagree. a smaller power handling speaker will help the amp realize more of a dynamic range which will help the attack and make the amp sound bigger. there is nothing the speaker will be able to do help the power section from distorting, and a big speaker on a small amp sounds like it crushes the small speaker's dynamic range (that is my feeling anyway, i have had some success with such things)

i'd recommend TS forget about the cab for a bit, get a weber 15 watt 10" alnico blue dog for the ac4tv, and then later hooking up the 1x12 cab with a 15 watt 12" weber alnico silver bell.

you'll like that, trust me. the silver bell will like the closed cabinet and provide a nice low end, the blue dog will add a nice response and sparkle to the vox. together they'll cover both bases.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 18, 2010,