I've been practicing my alternate picking with a metronome, doing some chromatic exercises.

I just wanna check if I'm on the right track so I won't waste my time practicing the wrong thing/incorrectly, so... Should I try to relax both of my hands as much as possible - minimize the picking motion and the fretting finger movements? Should I fret the notes lightly but hard enough to make it sound not flat/sharp? Are there any other things that I should focus on?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
"... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

"Play the music, not the instrument."
Sounds about right as far as I know, you seem to have covered everything; being relaxed, minimizing motion and input energy to create a simple repeatable pattern, and paying enough attention to try to improve yourself.
You've got it down alright. However you dont have to stress that you must relax your picking hand so much, as long as you use the economy of motion you'll be fine. Relaxation will come by itself to the picking hand.
Also, about the fretting hand. Just to clear things up (looks like you understand it but just to make sure). Use no more tension than what is needed to make the sound heard. "How do i know this?": Well. If you use less tension then the note wouldnt be heard. Just to make sure you understand.

Just make sure you are pushing yourself. At about the first practice sessions only practice this lick at about 20-35% of your maximum speed. This is for your muscle memory. Do this for about 5 sessions (no less). After the 5th, reevaluate your progress. Practice at 50% of your maximum guitar speed. Do this for 3 consecutive guitar practice sessions. Again, make sure everything remains very clean. Play relaxed without tension anywhere in your arms, hands, wrists, shoulders, neck, etc. Watch to make sure you have no excessive or
unnecessary movements in either hand.
60-65% 3 sessions
80% 5 sessions
85% only for 1 session
90% next 10 sessions
100% for a week
Reevaluate your progress. (You should be alot faster)

Now when practicing this, rotate every session like this:
First session: 60%
Second session: 85%
Third session: 95%
And at the end of every practice routine. Go at 100% for just a few minutes. Adjust your metronome accordingly for your new maximum guitar speed. Measure this every week

*MAKE SURE!! YOUR MAXIMUM GUITAR SPEED IS HOW FAST YOU CAN PLAY IT CLEANLY!!*

Alot of this information is from tomhess.net
He is a great guitar teacher, one who puts his soul into this. I seriously recommend for you to check him out
Quote by AJGNW

Just make sure you are pushing yourself. At about the first practice sessions only practice this lick at about 20-35% of your maximum speed. This is for your muscle memory. Do this for about 5 sessions (no less). After the 5th, reevaluate your progress. Practice at 50% of your maximum guitar speed. Do this for 3 consecutive guitar practice sessions. Again, make sure everything remains very clean. Play relaxed without tension anywhere in your arms, hands, wrists, shoulders, neck, etc. Watch to make sure you have no excessive or
unnecessary movements in either hand.
60-65% 3 sessions
80% 5 sessions
85% only for 1 session
90% next 10 sessions
100% for a week
Reevaluate your progress. (You should be alot faster)

wow, this method really works?

Quote by AJGNW

Now when practicing this, rotate every session like this:
First session: 60%
Second session: 85%
Third session: 95%
And at the end of every practice routine. Go at 100% for just a few minutes. Adjust your metronome accordingly for your new maximum guitar speed. Measure this every week

dont get what you mean by that
is this like the next step?
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Jun 17, 2010,
Thanks a lot, guys!

I actually learned some of those things from Tom Hess, I saw some of his videos on YouTube and they are really quite helpful.
"... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

"Play the music, not the instrument."