I've been listening to a lot more Opeth reccently and I'm attempting to write songs in a similar vein. I'm just wondering how to best go between distorted and clean bits without messing up the flow of the song.
Any help on the subject?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Maybe slow the tempo a little bit on the clean part or make the last measure of the distorted part a little slower and then let it ring out to the clean part.
It's definitely about the transition- easing out of the distortion heavy parts into the cleaner, gentle parts. I think it's tough to do this without other intruments- like say if you have drums, the guitar(s) could fade into the drummer doing a wash and the acoustic/clean guitar fades in...it's things like that. When you're only a guitarist it's easy to feel you have the responsibility all on your own.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
It's definitely about the transition- easing out of the distortion heavy parts into the cleaner, gentle parts. I think it's tough to do this without other intruments- like say if you have drums, the guitar(s) could fade into the drummer doing a wash and the acoustic/clean guitar fades in...it's things like that. When you're only a guitarist it's easy to feel you have the responsibility all on your own.

This, but also;

It depends on how you want the transition to sound. Sometimes an abrupt, unexpected change will sound good, rather than trying to ease the different parts into each other.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay

I agree with this, slowing the tempo down may seems like a good idea but it could sound even more jarring and could be harder to nail as an ensemble

I dont listen to Opeth so I wouldnt know exactly what you're going for but i listen to and play a lot of grunge and shoegaze and this happens a lot. Letting one guitarist let the last chord ring over the acoustic part helps.

But it really is all about instruments weaving in and out of each other more than anything, the drums especially can help this, a transition in the beat really shows up.