Hi all,

Been loving my Danelecto 63 recently - I put on some new strings as I realised although unused those strings could have been one there for a couple of years and it has brought the guitar back to life. Filed the nut, changed the truss rod - plays like a dream.

I'm loving the sound and I've also picked up two new pedals - both from the danelectro mini series Vibrato and Overdrive. I'm thinking off adding Reverb and Compression soon - at £10 each used you can't go too wrong.

At the moment I've got a Orange Crush 30R amp - but it's just not doing it for me. It's a decent clean amp but doesn't have much, dare I say - soul.

My dad made a valve amp I played it through that, it was lovely and I'm starting to get drawn towards smaller valve amps.

Of course there are many options - somewhere local is selling a Fender Champion 600 for £90 - would that be a good deal?

I've also thought about making an 5 watt amp with a maker kit and making my own cabinet - has anyone tried this?

Also how does a 5 watt valve amp really measure up in volume. I play drums in a rock band, but would like an amp that could be used to jazz/solo blues etc - it'd just have to play as loud as a drum kit played with brushes or someone really playing the sax etc...

Of the 5 watt amps out there (I mean the cheap ones) what do people think are the best? Budget is flexible - if bought perhaps up to £100 - I'd spend £150 making one.

Sorry - lots of questions, feel free to just answer any one!
i'd go for the fender champion, but you do know you can get them NEW for £130.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Yes, and given the sometimes delicate nature of tubes a warranty might be a worth the extra £40....

Also seen a Epiphone Valve Junior for £80. However I'm not sure if it's V1 or V2 and I'm told there's a bit of a gap in quality between them.
Danelectro 63 - Epiphone Valve Junior.
£90 for a champion 600 is good value if it's new.

you have several options at your budget- epi valve junior, peavey royal 8, blackheart, fender champion 600... vht special 6 if thomann still has them. they're a bit noisy (if mine is anything to go by), but they're a fair bit more versatile than most of the other cheap 5 watters. It'd probably be my pick if the background noise isn't a problem. it doesn't have much headroom either unless you're using fender-style single coils (i'm guessing your danos might be ok for that).

then you have the harley benton ga5h (basically thomann's house brand version of a v2 epi valve junior with a tone knob) or the musicstore fame tube 5 (appears to be a cheaper fender champion 600 with a presence knob, i'm not certain if it is, though).

big problem with the 5 watters is a lack of headroom. and then can sound a bit ratty if you crank them too much.

if your dad is willing to help you, then a kit might be a good idea.

EDIT: regarding the vjs (and bear in mind i own a v2, but haven't tried the other versions), the v1 supposedly has background noise and dodgy circuit design, the v2 fixes the noise but not the circuit problems (it still sounds decent, just not as good as it could), and v3 fixes the circuit design too.

bear in mind any warranty on tubes will only be 3 months (most likely).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 17, 2010,
thanks for the in depth reply.

I've got a feeling if I'm cheap now I'll just end up regretting it and buying something more expensive later.

I think I'm going to go for a kit a make a 5 watt combo with a 10" speaker. Or 5 Watt amp and 10" cab.

It'd be a good way to spend a summer. I really like making my own gear and having a sound no one else does...
yeah, that's always the concern. I like the little 5 watt tube amps, and if you're going to cheap out that's the way to go (because the circuits are so simple, there's less cost in parts plus simple circuits tend to sound better anyway), but it's always a worry that you end up buying the more expensive thing later anyway

the ampmaker kits are meant to be good, but i haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For Jazz, you would want quite a bit of headroom. If I were you, I would order a Fender clone kit from Ceriatone and have your dad help you assemble it.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Thanks.

I'm 24 with a science degree, I could assemble it myself but know my dad loves that kind of thing!

Those kits look nice, but I'm in the UK - so would get one from Britain. I don't really play jazz - I just want something that sounds a little retro and cool.

At the moment I've got a fender squier 10 Watt that I'm using preferentially over a Orange Crush 30R so I think smaller and high end would suit me more.
The Champ kit would suit I think.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
yeah, i have a valvepower. i got the pre-built one, when i got mine it was only £50 more than the kit, so...

sweet amp.

those ampmakers are meant to be really nice too, you have a few more options there (he also does an 18 watt clone, but i don't think it has the VVR, which is awesome).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
By bro has the 18 watter from Amp maker. My dad made it himself but gave it to my him after a while. After playing that I really want a good tube amp - but I don't want to pay excessive cost - and I don't need excessive volume.

I don't really like electricity - but I love wood and metal work so I'd get a simple kit but make a nice box and cab.

Although mainly for home practise I may want the amp for lounge jazz/signer songwriter stuff. Would a 5 watt tube amp into a 10" or 12" speaker cut ok? It's good to be loud enough to compete with a drum kit played with brushes.

Any louder and you'd need to mic up the kit - which means you could run the amp through the PA too.
If you're playing with a drummer using brushes (as you said in your original post), 5 watts should cut it. You won't have much headroom left, but it would suffice. I would move up to 15 watts just to be safe, but that's up to you. However, if you ever play with a drummer using sticks and isn't too heavy-handed, you should definitely have at least 15 watts.

As for a cab for this kit you're making, I think you should use a 12" speaker. You'd get a much fuller sound, in my opinion.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
yeah, headroom is the problem with the 5 watters. I haven't tried the ampmaker one, though.

bear in mind 15 normally doesn't have a ton of headroom either, but it should be a bit better.

the valvepower i mentioned has VVR (a form of powerscaling) so you can get it down to lower volumes, plus you'd have the extra headroom for those smaller gigs. Might be worth considering.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for cheap the champ 600 is good. when connected to a 10" or 12" it's great.

it's not as loud as other 5 wattrs because of the small stock speaker.

say what you will folks, the amp is louder with a larger more efficient speaker. i've done it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.