I've been looking for the perfect vintage LP junior for two years now. I want to research well before such a huge investment. I recently saw a guitar hat appeared to be a Vintage Sunburst LP Junior but couldn't be. It had two knobs and two pickups! So if:

One p-90 + two knobs = lp Junior
Two p=90s + four knobs = lp special
What does two p-90s and two knobs = ?

It sounded phenomenal and I want it!
ive seen a lot of LP juniors with another pickup stuck in there and just a switch put on. are you sure it was all stock?

in related new i just bought a 94 LP Special. ngd thread soon.
"Most people die with their music still locked up inside them." - Benjamin Disraeli
Quote by crofty191
ive seen a lot of LP juniors with another pickup stuck in there and just a switch put on. are you sure it was all stock?

Some local band was playing, and I was right in front of he guitarist, there didn't appear to be a switch which I though was pretty weird, however i did see him "pinky grab" the volume know to dramatically change sounds a couple of times. It didn't look like a push/pull pot either.

Quote by crofty191
in related new i just bought a 94 LP Special. ngd thread soon

Sweetness!
That sounds like a PRS Rotary switch. Are you sure it wasn't one?

If the band is local, look them up on whateverSpace/Book, and ask the guy yourself!
Could have been a Melody Maker. Gibson have been making some Melody Makers recently which have a second pickup. Looks like an LP Jr, two pickups and two controls sounds like one of the new Melody makers to me.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Y00p
That sounds like a PRS Rotary switch. Are you sure it wasn't one?

Ahhh a rotary switch! Brilliant, I guess there was so much going on with this mystery Jr. I didn't even think of that!

Quote by Y00p
If the band is local, look them up on whateverSpace/Book, and ask the guy yourself!

Yeah I thought of that but I couldn't, for the life of me, remember the name lol.
So is it safe to say that there is no such thing as an LP Jr. with two stock pups? In order for this to be so, the Jr. would have to had be modded?
Last edited by PlankSpanker06 at Jun 17, 2010,
Not stock, no. The closest stock guitar you can get is an LP Special or a Melody Maker.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Anyone have any input on the difference between lp junior and lp special? Gibson seems to be advertising specials as juniors with 2 p-ups?
That's just one of countless oddball naming discrepancies that that Japanese market often coughs up, much like the top Epiphones being called Elite within Japan and Elitist everywhere else. Ignore the name, just look at the spec: tune-o-matic and stopbar, four controls, two P-90s, flat top, that's a Special.
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 has 2 knobs and two pickups, but I doubt this is what you are looking for.

But hey, it definately has 2 of each
It's lucky this isn't YLYL cause I decided to combine Junior and Special to see what model it would be and the song 'junior spesh' came into my head (anyone who watches rudetube will know that song)...

HELLO!

Thank u guys for all the info, and most of all putting up with my obsession of jrs. I think my dream guit will end up being a VOS '57 Jr, modded with a neck p up. No way I will destroy a true vintage Jr. lol.
Yeah, modding a Junior to have a neck pickup just leaves you with a Special. Why not just buy a Special? It will be the same only built better.
Quote by MrFlibble
Yeah, modding a Junior to have a neck pickup just leaves you with a Special. Why not just buy a Special? It will be the same only built better.

Well one thing about the LP Special that doesn't please me is the bridge pickup doesn't sound exactly like a Junior. Ive tried as many as I could in the few local shops we still have here.... It could all be in my head though. You know, just one of those things.
Last edited by PlankSpanker06 at Jun 18, 2010,
yeah i know what you're sayin with the "in your head" stuff, i have that all the time. I just did a 10 second research and they're both the same P-90. my advice remains the same, get a special, cuz if you F*** the Jr. up routing in the neck pickup you'll have a hideous sounding and looking LP Jr.

just my 10 cents