Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with a musical ear

I picked up the book "music theory for dummies" a little while ago, and planned on starting it tonight. Just curious, but have any of you ever used this book, and what did you think of it?
I need you to be awesome, can you be awesome for me?
I wasn't blessed with musical ear either, but my fingers(they are longer than of average person) were blessed to be used for guitar. I never used any book to study theory, if you sum up my knowledge, I know which fret=which note, something about harmony and that's it. So all in all, I have no idea what to say when it comes to theory, it's just 1 day I thought "why study theory if it won't help me play faster or better", so I don't. And before everyone starts saying "theory helps improvise and write songs", that's probably true, but I'm doing both of those things without any knowledge, so don't know what to say about that
All I can say is don't just read it overnight and expect to master what's in the book. You need to understand each chapter and apply it, then move on to the others.
Yeah, I know it isn't going to happen overnight. I thought it would be a good place to start though. I am very familiar with my instruments (been playing for the last 8 years) but somehow never got around to learning the theory side of music. Thanks for the input!
For a beginner, that book is okay. Otherwise I would say that book is junk. There are other better books out there.
That book is fine dude... forget the haters of saying there are better and its junk. It discusses music forms too which is nice... nothing wrong with this book
Quote by Cap'n Awesome
Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with a musical ear

I picked up the book "music theory for dummies" a little while ago, and planned on starting it tonight. Just curious, but have any of you ever used this book, and what did you think of it?

I've heard it's a good book.

btw a "musical ear" is developed by listening. The knowledge you gain from the book can enhance your aural abilities by giving you names to identify the concepts with, but on it's own, it won't cure your issue as stated.

Listen to music, figure it out by ear.... play it by memory. THOSE activities will help you develop a "musical ear".
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky

Listen to music, figure it out by ear.... play it by memory. THOSE activities will help you develop a "musical ear".

I've been trying that for the past 8 years... I swear I'm tone deaf lol. I just can't seem to do it. I'v tried over and over and just end up getting frustrated.
Quote by Cap'n Awesome
I've been trying that for the past 8 years... I swear I'm tone deaf lol. I just can't seem to do it. I'v tried over and over and just end up getting frustrated.

Well, you have to start simple. At 1st learn a song or 2 from tab, or from somebody showing it to you. memorize the music. Get it in your ears and under your fingers.
What happens is that you'll begin recognizing how all those chords/notes sound. Then you have something to work with as you try to learn music by ear for yourself.

I hate to say it but without this ability..... no book will help. I mean you'll become familiar with a few new fancy words, but without the ear..... they hold less meaning.

So my suggestion is to get the musical ear thing happening, then you'll truly have something to study.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 17, 2010,
I appreciate all the feedback! I started the book last night, so we will see where it takes me.
I have to agree with many of the posts. I just recently really started studying theory, before when I had tried I was bored with it. Simply because I couldn't at that time apply it to what I knew to do on the guitar. Once I got to this stage where all I could do was continue to practice scales, chords, and try to get faster.. I decided I wanted more and that's when I really started getting into theory and applying it, using what I was learning, ect ect. But there has been many subjects I've had to re-read over before I understood all of it.