Hi. Im going to get a marshall jcm 900 combo (either 50 or 100 watt) for gigging at small to medium venues. I suspect the volume will be turned up to drummer levels but not much louder. will an attenuator be needed to get the best tone out of the amp or will the tone be good enough at this levels?
It's hard to say. You may want to test one out and see how it sounds.

PS - talking about whether a tone will be 'good enough' is pretty silly... it's an individual thing, we can't say if it's good enough.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
A lot of people prefer the 900 when dimed, so if that's your goal an attenuator is a good idea.

I can't help but ask; have you played a 900? If you are unsure of whether or not you need an attenuator then how are you sure you should be buying a 900?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It will sound fine as it is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What genres are you intending to play with the JCM 900? Players of metal tend to like preamp distortion more than power amp distortion and thus it will sound better at lower volumes for said genre, however classic rock, blues etc tend to favour power amp distortion and it will sound better at higher volumes.

Depends entirely on your own ears and what you play.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works