Hi I'm building a Les Paul style guitar for an Extended Project course at Sixth Form, what is the best kit to make it from that you can buy in Britain? Taking into account quality, cost, ease of assembly etc. Anyone have any experience with any particular brands or recommendations? Cheers.
isnt screwing a ready made neck onto a ready made body kinda cheating?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
http://www.diyguitarshop.co.uk/ are meant to be good quality.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I'd say no to diyguitarshop. Ive paid for a body blank, and it says that i can collect to save on the £8 delivery charge. I emailed them about it, and they said that it was no problem, and that they were situated in the eastcote area, and they would send me their address after i'd placed the order. I placed the order over a week ago, sent them an email straight away asking for the address so i could pick it up the next day (which they had said previously would be okay) but i have had no reply. After over a week of sending e-mails and phone calls (none of which were answered) im beginning to get quite annoyed. Theyve taken my money and have failed to either deliver the product or allow me to collect it. Terrible shop, wouldnt recommend them to anyone and i will DEFINITELY never buy from them again.
^If you send me an email I'll forward it to him. Steve is very good at getting back to me most of the time. That said, he is a 1 man opperation and if circumstances are such that he can't make it into the workshop, like being sick or whatever, then in may take a week to hear back from him. Not trying to justify him not getting back to you, but I'm hopping that you don't give up hope on him. The DIY kits are very good for the money. Certainly not the best guitars on the market by any stretch of the imagination, but they are low cost and if you replace all the electronics in them then you end up with a good sounding instrument so all and all they are the best bang for your buck that I've seen.

If you are looking for the best available parts then you should order what you need from someplace like WD music or allparts. These use much better woods and the routing are better too. The drawback of the allparts and wd stuff is that a body alone costs more than a whole DIY kit and you have to buy all the parts separately, they don't come in kit form.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 17, 2010,
Can I ask a queston - what are you doing the extended project as part of? Do you have to do another subject?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
^ The Extended Project is like half of an A-Level, basically worth half the UCAS points you would recieve for the same grade in an actual subject. It's two lessons a week, and is basically you going off and making something, or a five thousand work essay. At the end of it you evaluate your work and get a mark for it all! I don't think that getting the kit will be cheating, as long as I make it obvious, cos you still have to solder and assemble, paint etc.
The beauty of it is that the college pays for the materials!
DIY guitar shop are supposed to be good but as mentioned they are absolutely HOPELESS at replying to anything.

Ive emailed them many a time before and had no reply whatsoever. I had to get pretty angry before i got any sort of reply and even that was rubbish.
Quote by Down&Out
DIY guitar shop are supposed to be good but as mentioned they are absolutely HOPELESS at replying to anything.

Ive emailed them many a time before and had no reply whatsoever. I had to get pretty angry before i got any sort of reply and even that was rubbish.

Strange, before i placed an order with them they replied to me super-quick. I mean like half an hour for a reply. Plus the information i recieved was sort of helpful, the only thing they didnt give me that i wanted was the address, so i could collect, but i hadnt placed the order at this time and they wouldnt give it to just anyone. How long did you have to wait for a reply?
Ah, I've checked and it turns out I can't just assemble a pre-made kit. This is now a thread about a custom build! Does anyone have any ideas about what wood I should use for the body? I don't really mind if it's heavy, but nothing stupid.
Quote by 09phillt
^ The Extended Project is like half of an A-Level, basically worth half the UCAS points you would recieve for the same grade in an actual subject. It's two lessons a week, and is basically you going off and making something, or a five thousand work essay. At the end of it you evaluate your work and get a mark for it all! I don't think that getting the kit will be cheating, as long as I make it obvious, cos you still have to solder and assemble, paint etc.
The beauty of it is that the college pays for the materials!

O:

So I coukld make my school pay for a guitar build?

The last one cost about 800

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
O:

So I coukld make my school pay for a guitar build?

The last one cost about 800

At mine there's a limit for about £100, so that might be enough for a neck, and seeing as I can't make one myself, wheras I could make a body, I will use that to buy a neck. But your college might be different.
Two things:

1. Make a new thread for your build, if you're going ahead with it. That should do a better job of catching people to help you.

2. http://myworld.ebay.com/surrey_tonewood_supplies for wood. Most of his stock isn't listed on eBay, so send him a message and ask about prices. The ash blank for my current build was £25 from Chris - not only a great price, but it was quite a bit larger than most two piece blanks out there for more money.
Quote by 09phillt
^ I'm in the UK os shipping may be a little expensive or tricky with that one.

????

He's based in Surrey, England.

"Surrey

Motto of County Council: Making Surrey a better place

Surrey /ˈsʌri/ is a county in the South East of England and is one of the Home Counties. The county borders Greater London, Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex, Hampshire, and Berkshire. The historic county town is Guildford.[1] Surrey County Council sits at Kingston upon Thames, although this has been part of Greater London since 1965.

Surrey is divided into 11 boroughs and districts: Elmbridge, Epsom and Ewell, Guildford, Mole Valley, Reigate and Banstead, Runnymede, Spelthorne, Surrey Heath, Tandridge, Waverley, Woking. After the elections of 1 May 2008, the Conservatives are in control of 10 out of 11 councils in Surrey, with Epsom and Ewell in Residents Association control. The Conservatives hold all 11 Parliamentary constituencies within the county borders."
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jun 18, 2010,
^ Well he cant be far from me then

Quote by minnis
Strange, before i placed an order with them they replied to me super-quick. I mean like half an hour for a reply. Plus the information i recieved was sort of helpful, the only thing they didnt give me that i wanted was the address, so i could collect, but i hadnt placed the order at this time and they wouldnt give it to just anyone. How long did you have to wait for a reply?

We're talking a month or 2.

I'm sorry, I saw the .com and immediately thought it was American.
I'm thinking now a flame maple top off ebay on a mahogany tonewood piece, for the body
Sorry to necro, but Steve from diyguitarshop.com just emailed me reminding me of this thread. I should point out that a bit after the previous post in this thread Steve actually delivered my body blank by hand, along with an explanation and an apology, and then refunded the postage and packaging. Needless to say, i was amazed that he would go out of his way like this for a customer, and i must say i was impressed. This made up for the lack of earlier replies. I must take back all the harsh comments i made earlier - not many other shops would do this.