Hey guys, this is going to be wordy. I'm sorry. I can't help myself.

So I'm having some pretty bad white noise problems; some of it is probably attributable to some long cable lengths--which I'm going to fix--but I'm still thinking a significant amount is coming from my guitar/preamp. Anyways, to remedy the situation, I'm going to buy an NS2 and set it up to run in X pattern, but I have a few questions regarding where to put it in the signal chain.

The XXX has a built-in effects loop on the head, where I have the send to about 7 and the return very low, like .5-1. In the effects loop, I always have a line6 pod x3 live, sometimes a Boss RC20XL Loop Station, and then a Vox Snakecharmer Tube compressor at the end to smooth out volume differences (plus it really improves my sound...much warmer). When I have my amp on and my effects loop not bypassed, even with my guitar volume turned down very low and no effects on aside from the compressor, there is a considerable amount of white noise. If I bypass the effects loop entirely and play through my amp, there is less white noise, but it is definitely still present.

I don't know too much about noise suppressors (I'm familiar with gates, if they're identical), but I was thinking there are probably a number of different ways to run my signal chain, but the two seemingly most logical ones are:

guitar > NS2 input > NS2 Fx loop send > Amp > Amp Head Fx loop send > NS2 Fx loop return > NS2 output > Line 6 Pod X3 live > Vox Compressor > Amp Head Fx loop return

OR

guitar > NS2 input > NS2 Fx loop send > Amp > Amp head Fx loop send > Line6 Pod X3 live > NS2 Fx loop return > NS2 output > Vox Compressor > Amp head Fx loop return

The first one seems more logical to me seeing as I'd like all the noise out of the signal before I go modifying the signal with filters, but can someone elaborate on what would be correct, especially if neither of these setups are. THANKS SO MUCH FOR STICKING IT OUT TO THE END!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
I keep my NS2 at the very end of my pedalchain before going to the front of the amp...and at the very end of my effects loop chain (x-pattern)....so you might want to try both options that you listed and see which sounds the best.

The XXX loop can be pretty noisy if you have either the send or receive knobs up very high. I usually keep both at 5. So you might try that too.

When was the last time you changed preamp tubes? If you've got some old/low quality tubes in there, it can add noise.

Also...the XXX is a high gain amp. There's going to be some noise...especially if you are twisting the gain knob up high.
Thanks for responding eyebanez! I just changed tubes; got matched Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's and a nice selection of new preamp tubes. I didn't have one of the preamp tubes plugged in all the way initially, but all of them are securely in now, and it's still producing some ridiculous noise.

I'll try balancing out my send and return on the fx loop and see if it helps. However, maybe I can phrase this a better way: with an NS2 in X-pattern, you essentially get two points at which you get noise suppression. On my current rig, I can see three pretty important places for noise reduction: the signal coming out of my guitar to cut noise produced by my pickups, the signal coming out of the fx loop to cut down preamp noise, and the signal at the very end of the pedal chain (except right before the compressor probably, since one of the reasons I bought a tube compressor specifically was to have the signal going into the amp be analog) to cut out unwanted noise attributed to the signal modification from filters and such. Since I can't do all three with one NS2 and I don't have the money to drop on two NS2's, which would probably be the best two places to have noise reduction? THANKS AGAIN!
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
*BUMP*

I'll only bump it once, and I apologize since I know it's frowned on here; I just need an answer soon because I have a gig in two days and I spaced posting this till last minute! Thanks!
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Using it in an X-pattern will cut down on noise after the preamp.

If you place your NS-2 at the beginning of your chain, it will cut down on noise right from your pickups, in addition to the noise cut down by the X Pattern.
If there's less noise coming from your pickups, there will be less noise for your pedals to amplify.
Alright. So I think what you're saying is that it's best to have the NS2 reduce the noise straight from the guitar and the preamp, which is kind of what I suspected. However, I'm pissed to find out these are discontinued at Guitar Center!!? Now I'm not going to have it for the gig anyways >
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Word, I ended up calling the local guitar center and although it didn't show it on the site, they had three in stock. I picked one up today and tried two methods; one was the aforementioned setup to cut out guitar and preamp noise, then the other was a bit different. I was trying to use the loop on the NS2 to cut the noise from my pod X3 live (as well as preamp and guitar noise) so that I could use more distortion effects on the pedal without worrying about noise, so I had my signal running as such:

Guitar > Amp input > Amp fx loop send > NS2 input > NS2 send > POD X3 Live input > POD X3 live send > NS2 return > NS2 output > POD X3 Live return > Compressor > Amp

I wanted to do this to try and cut as much noise from the guitar and preamp while simultaneously using it to cut the noise from the filters on the X3 live that can be set to run before the FX loop on the X3 Live, like distortion, fuzz, etc, and still have the effects that might be cut off by the NS2 past the point of suppression (like delay and reverb). I think it was a good idea in theory, which is why I shared it, but it doesn't work for my particular setup as well as just cutting all the noise straight out of the guitar and the preamp, cuz I got some noisy toys! THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2