dont go all use the search bar on me cuz theres only one thread related to the title of this and its in acoustic. now. im going up to illinois for a trip and im bringing my les paul (epiphone dont worry) and ive got a roadrunner polyfoam case that i plan on using to protect it.

so my question is; besides loosening the string tension what else can i do to raise my chances of this guitar surviving the flight there and back? and PLEASE dont say "try not taking it" cuz i havent seen my mother in several years and i wanna play her a few things. SPANKS! - Mrfussytabs
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
So long as it's in a flight or hard case that you can securely shut then it should be okay.

If it's in a soft case, you might get it back in (albeit conveniently packaged) pieces.
Detune, take off any loose parts, remove everything from the case that could bang into the guitar. Use hard case. wrap headstock in bubble wrap.

That's all you really can do.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by yellowshirtguy
Detune, take off any loose parts, remove everything from the case that could bang into the guitar. Use hard case. wrap headstock in bubble wrap.

That's all you really can do.

+1 That's really about all you can do.... oh yea. and pray!
carry on if its a soft case u should be able to i've seen people do it
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
great idea to carry it on. no one would happen to know the dimensions of the over head compartents would they? =D
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
well i put mine in the overhead so i DONT de-tune cause its not under pressure.

my epi les paul in a HARD case EASILY fits in the overhead. even on regional jets. you just have to insist tothe stewartess that you want to try to fit it in.

i fly from BWI (balimore, larger plane) to charlotte NC, and then take a regional to charleston SC. i do this about 2-3 times there and back in about 6-8 months for school. on the large plane you could fit about 4 guitars in it. it put it in the overhead and it disappears. im a short guy, and i cant even see it in there. no joke, about 4 less pauls could fit.

in the regional, it BARELY fits. in fact, the planes i fly there is no separation between overheads. there is just a bar. so my guitar fits, and the headstock goes behind the bar and about 6 inches into the next compartment and the door barely closes over it. but it works.

if it were a larger guitar (like a semi hollow) or an acoustic? no shot.

they try to take it and i politely say it will fit and can i try...but i already know the planes i fly and i know it will fit.

i generally put it in the hard cause and lock it up. thats it. it stays in teh overhead, and after it never leaves my hands.

now if you were going to check it? dear lord. wrap headstock, secure it. and pray.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 17, 2010,
if you carry it on you dont need to store it in the over head you can place it behind the last row of seats theres sufficient space
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112