Hi there everyone.

I come from the foreign lands of GG&A to seek help the lazy bastards over there can't provide.

So, I'm a guitarist and picked up bass a year or so ago. I like the sound of my bass through my guitar rig - but I don't want to blow my speakers.

I'm interested in the Celestion G12H, the Heritage version, that is:
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/heritage/detail.asp?ID=7

The clue about the G12H is that when it originally came out, there was a version with a resonance of 75Hz for guitar and one with 55Hz for bass. Both ended up being largely popular with guitarists. The one I linked to is 55Hz. I tried it with guitar amps and I think it sounds great for guitar, so I'm going to buy a pair.

Now, even though the 55Hz is a reissue of what actually was a bass speaker, it is now sold as a guitar speaker. Celestion claims it's identical to the historic models, but I'm still not sure whether playing bass through it might damage it or not, since it is strikingly similar to guitar speakers.

So anybody got any experience using this speaker?
the low E on a bass is around 40Hz so those speakers don't seem like a good idea to me
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
the low E on a bass is around 40Hz so those speakers don't seem like a good idea to me

I've seen bass speakers (10") that start at 80Hz or so.
I may have the wrong E then...
I don't know, we'll both just have to wait for someone more tech savvy
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by TheQuailman
I've seen bass speakers (10") that start at 80Hz or so.

You're correct, it's just over 40hz.

Just because a speaker can't convey 40hz doesn't mean you will damage the speaker, it just means that the full bottom-end potential of your instrument won't be conveyed.
Quote by Ziphoblat
You're correct, it's just over 40hz.

Just because a speaker can't convey 40hz doesn't mean you will damage the speaker, it just means that the full bottom-end potential of your instrument won't be conveyed.

Even if the fundamentals of the note arn't produced by the speaker the harmonics over it will. The human brain is clever in that it reproduces the missing fundamental noteif it is not present so you will be able to hear rhe low E anyway.

x

TS: i think it should be alright, but you might want to email celestion to check.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Jun 17, 2010,
Thanks guys.
Getting a sound from the low e wouldn't be a problem I guess (since anything I plugged the bass into did that so far), I'm just worried the speaker's too fragile, as it is so similar to guitar speakers. I don't know if I'm risking shredding the cone when playing bass. Worst thing is if you damage a speaker that way, it's something that happens over long periods of time, so you don't notice immediately. I'll definitely contact Celestion.