I've been lurking my local craigslist pretty hard and found a guy offering an American standard Tele for $500. Seems like a pretty great deal.

So I called the guy up to ask for the serial number, and apparently he swapped out the neck and no longer has the serial number.

I'm am meeting with the guy today and I will get to see the guitar. What Should I look for? Is there any way I can tell if it's fake without the serial number?
I think the best thing to do would be, to post pics here and ask people in here if it looks fake or not.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
sounds extremely suspect to me.

there's no single sign of a fake, it would have to be a number of things. as said above, post pics if possible and we can have a look an pass an opinion.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JayLacelle
Play it. If it sounds and plays good, buy it. If it doesn't, don't.

This.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

the headstock looks mexican made from that picture.
under the fender logo it has some writing it looks and i believe standard usa one's only have fender and the type of the guitar written on it.
Quote by schism8
the headstock looks mexican made from that picture.
under the fender logo it has some writing it looks and i believe standard usa one's only have fender and the type of the guitar written on it.

My mexi tele just says fender telecaster on the front.
Quote by phoenix_crush
My mexi tele just says fender telecaster on the front.

is it from the 90s? mine is and only says fender, too. but i believe the 2000+ made ones have the made in mexico or what it says under the fender logo.
He says it's a tex-mex neck, meaning it's a neck from a Deluxe Nashville. For the price it looks legit.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by schism8
is it from the 90s? mine is and only says fender, too. but i believe the 2000+ made ones have the made in mexico or what it says under the fender logo.

I bought it new and if I'm reading the serial right it's the newest model (2010).
Can't believe I didn't see this beforehand but

The bridge !!! it's a freaking squier bridge. Did they put those on some of the older fender's ? He says this one is circa 2003?
its an old style tele bridge is all.

can't really tell anything from those pics but that color could be a give away. i'm not sure when standards were made with that finish. also, standards don't usually have that bridge as they went to a 6 individual saddle set up at some point.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
7 year old thread.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.