Page 1 of 3
Social interaction with peers vs no social interaction with peers seems to be a no brainer.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I've done both. Homeschool all the way. It pisses me off that homeschooled kids have the stereotype of being sheltered and stupid, because I really believe that public schooled kids aren't any better. I learned tons more while I was homeschooled because I was able to control what I did. And I didn't have to be around assholes from school.

It really just depends on the kind of person you are. If you're interested in being social, stay in public school. If you want to focus on your education without the bullshit from public school, do homeschool.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
+1 ^^

The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Nelsean
Social interaction with peers vs no social interaction with peers seems to be a no brainer.

No social interaction wins, amirite?
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
If your social life exists only within a school then that's pretty sad
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I know a very large proportion of my friends through school. No way in hell would I want to be home schooled
Quote by fail
If your social life exists only within a school then that's pretty sad

How exactly do you figure that one out?
Quote by Nelsean

That's a seriously shallow way of thinking of it....

Quote by fail
I've done both. Homeschool all the way. It pisses me off that homeschooled kids have the stereotype of being sheltered and stupid, because I really believe that public schooled kids aren't any better. I learned tons more while I was homeschooled because I was able to control what I did. And I didn't have to be around assholes from school.

This
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Last edited by archerygenious at Jun 17, 2010,
I did homeschooling for a year while away in Europe. Homeschooling is alot better for your grades, since you can focus and apply yourself alot better, but I did miss the social aspect of school. I only did it for a year which was good though.
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
I would never be able to concentrate being taught at home, there are too many distractions I just wouldn't take it seriously.
Quote by shattamakar
+1 ^^

The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Sigged brah.
Quote by shattamakar

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Zaphoblat
How exactly do you figure that one out?

Er, how do you figure that you can't have a social life unless you go to public school?

I maintained a social life just fine while I was homeschooled. I was able to make the same plans with the same people. I don't see why people think school is some social haven. School is shit for socializing, actually.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Going to school no question
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Tarsplitter
No, it's not.

You have little time to do what you want with your friends and when you do, you're usually skipping out on school work to do so. So it's shit for socializing and school, really.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Quote by fail
Er, how do you figure that you can't have a social life unless you go to public school?

I maintained a social life just fine while I was homeschooled. I was able to make the same plans with the same people. I don't see why people think school is some social haven. School is shit for socializing, actually.

Then without school to start with, how do you make a social circle?

Granted it is possible, but pretty bloody difficult.
Through school you're in contact with lots of different people and can easily interact with them.
I did both.

The idea that there is no interaction with peers as a homeschooler is frankly ignorance. There are dozens of homeschool groups, co-ops, and organizations entirely designed for peer interaction. Homeschoolers have recognized the need for interaction and worked to create spaces for it.

Each option has it's own rather drastic benefits. With public schooling, you are presented with a number of things you would not be homeschooled, both in terms of curriculum and social situations. Public school kids by large are very different than homeschool kids in terms of social beliefs, opinions and understanding of daily life. Typically homeschool kids are homeschooled due to a parent's issues with an aspect of public schooling, which is often some facet of the curriculum or the idea that most public school kids do drugs and have sex and other falsities. Public school requires kids to be exposed to ideas that homeschool curricula ignores, and peers of different cultures that they likely would not be exposed to even in homeschool groups. Just because of that exposure, I say public school is better.
my friend was homeschooled until 7th grade. he turned out fine.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by SG_dave
Then without school to start with, how do you make a social circle?

Granted it is possible, but pretty bloody difficult.
Through school you're in contact with lots of different people and can easily interact with them.

You're right, I've met lots of people at school, but oddly I met better ones at shows and whatnot. I think school's good for meeting people, but maintaining your relationship with them doesn't require school.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Well the way I see it is that at public school, you learn very little as it is. Where i live (see location) standardized tests make up the school's profit, so the teachers teach you how to take a test. And at my school we are barely allowed to socialize (maybe it's because i'm in AP, Maybe it's not). However at home if your parents are wrong in what they teach you...
Attachments:
retard.jpg
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
I did Public School up till Sophmore of HS when my dad started going through cancer treatments. I dropped out, did homeschooling then got my GED at 16. At that time, I didn't want shit to happen to my dad one day at school so I went Homeschooled and finished early.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by fail
School is shit for socializing, actually.

No it's not.

The downsides of home schooling are a) it's usually done by the heavily religious and will invoke educational bias, b) it's not really regulated and c) social life. a) is the biggest problem, b) and c) are not huge concerns. Parents are not stupid enough to strip their children of social interaction with kids their own age and are not stupid enough to allow their kids to not get an education which is on paper equivalent to their peers.

Go back to your own school memories where a good class room would have one adult to twenty five students. A small proportion of time spent in class room, believe it or not, are kids actually being taught. Home schooling is a lot, lot more efficient and can get more done, more quickly. Anyone remember how easy it was to revise extremely quickly for exams when you were in school?

Most people who get homeschooled, well, most people cannot tell that they were. Long as the kids are raised well, they'll be normal, functioning people. For every kid who suffers socially because of home schooling there's a kid in school suffering from anxiety or depression in school because of the social experiences there (and yes, these are real concerns, believe it or not). The problem is, if the home school child is not raised well, it can affect them for life, whilst a child who had an appalling time in secondary school can be a very healthy, happy adult (even though both cases are not determinate).
Last edited by Craigo at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by fail

being surrounded by hundreds of people your own age?
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Personally I would rather put my trust in a trained professional than someone who can't trust the trained professionals to teach their kids.
Quote by fail
It pisses me off that homeschooled kids have the stereotype of being sheltered and stupid.

Quote by fail

lol
MATTERHORN
I'm done high school now and I wish the course I was taking was in an actual school (it's the Canadian Securities Course [finances, not security] and it's done at home/own time). I find it really hard to do school work on my own and not being able to discuss things with a teacher face to face.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by fail
But that's the thing, every workplace that has a reasonable number of people in it will have assholes, bullies and people who will do anything to get ahead. You have to learn how to deal with that.

Sure, some kids who are homeschooled will do fine but school is supposed to be about preparing you for the real world and in the real world you will have to work with people you don't like.
Quote by 12345abcd3
But that's the thing, every workplace that has a reasonable number of people in it will have assholes, bullies and people who will do anything to get ahead. You have to learn how to deal with that.

Sure, some kids who are homeschooled will do fine but school is supposed to be about preparing you for the real world and in the real world you will have to work with people you don't like.

Here it is.

School forces you to work in a place where not everyone is either family or a friend. Shit happens, and people need to learn to deal with it. Sure at the time some drama at school might feel stupid and you need to get away from it, but that stuff happens in the real world, and you need to deal with it. People will bully others, and people will try to drag you down so they can do better. If you have been avoiding dealing with this, it could cause serious problems if you aren't used to it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I've been both Home-Schooled and I've gone to Public Schools.

Honestly, I'm the farthest thing from a social butterfly. But I'd have to say Public Schools are ten times better. I enjoyed being there more than I did at home, and I did much better with work there.

Concentrating at home is impossible.
ITT: Public schoolers playing the "improperly raised introvert" stereotype of homeschoolers, homeschoolers playing the "Annoying jackass" public school stereotype, majority are public schooled, so despite asshatting on both sides that means everyone assumes public school students are the correct ones.

I've seen this goddamned thread on four other forums at least two dozen times, it's never gone any differently.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
ITT: Public schoolers playing the "improperly raised introvert" stereotype of homeschoolers, homeschoolers playing the "Annoying jackass" public school stereotype, majority are public schooled, so despite asshatting on both sides that means everyone assumes public school students are the correct ones.

I've seen this goddamned thread on four other forums at least two dozen times, it's never gone any differently.

I did neither of those.
Quote by Gaiad
I did neither of those.

And there are one or two people in modern US politics earnestly preaching bipartisanism. But "Partisan nutcases on both sides making stupid decisions for stupid reasons with bigger nutcases of commentators on both sides shouting at each other" is still a valid description.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Personally I would rather put my trust in a trained professional than someone who can't trust the trained professionals to teach their kids.

This pretty much sums it up.

And as for socializing goes, public school was pretty good for it. Public school as in state school by the way.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
At my parents' church (I don't really go anymore, but I did for a long time), the kid population (like 18 yrs old and younger) is probably about 70% home schooled. They all have friends but they're only friends with each other or more fellow home schoolers. They shun out non-home schoolers in the church. Also, like half of them make their clothes and most think GWB was a good president and Obama is the antichrist.

On the other hand, there have been a few home schoolers each year who start coming to my school and most of them end up pretty cool and fun to be around. So I think it just depends. There's those really obnoxious, ridiculously religious and completely sheltered home schoolers and then there's those kids that are just like everyone else and didn't miss much on developing social skills.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
What a cesspit of ignorance present in this thread!

I went to public school from kindergarten to 1st grade.
I've been home schooled from then to now. I'm in the 10th grade at the beginning of next year.

[sarcasm] Yeah, I'm not social at all! [/sarcasm]

Even though I don't live my life surrounded by people every weekday, I still am able to see my friends quite often. You see, I belong to a thing called a "home school group". This mysterious cult is a group of people of my age group that meet together every week or so. And these suckers are friggin' huge. Mine has over 100 people! I also belong to a church, where I've made some of the best friends of my life and met some of the hottest chicks in my life! These Georgia wimminz are teh hotz. I also hang out with friends I know from outside either of these large groups!

Fact: Tomorrow I'm going to a party at a skating rink with the home school group, and then the day after, one of my church friends is coming over to my house!

[sarcasm] Yeah, I'm pretty dumb! [/sarcasm]

GPA 4.0 in every subject bitches!!!

[sarcasm] Yeah, my parents teach me out of their own knowledge. [/sarcasm]

Despite what you may think, my parents are not a repository of infinite knowledge. However, if I was taught by my dad out of his knowledge, I would feel pretty smart.

Fact #1: In the middle school era, my mom would have me work in text books like "3rd grade Math" or "3rd grade language arts". I may be wrong, but isn't that the way public school is organized?

Fact #2: In the high school era, I have been using a program called "Switched-On Schoolhouse". It is a computer-based learning system that presents me with a reading assignment, presents me with questions based on said reading and grades my performance. It is also accredited.

Fact #3: My parents have very little to do with my education. They merely foot the bill.

Most of you people's ignorance of methods you don't use astounds me. You seem biased against home schooling. I wonder why... Perhaps it stems from fear of the unknown? Maybe you're jealous? Whatever the reason may be, I feel that very few of you have actually met a home schooled person, and therefore have no reason in which to base your beliefs.

*FLAMESHIELD ACTEEEVAAAEETEEEED!!!!*
I'm homeschooled, raised in a nonreligious household. I've always been allowed to participate in my peer's afterschool activities and have enough friends. At the same time, I'm not distracted while actually learning, and I'm at a pretty good level education wise. I'll be quite honest, I'm disgusted by some of the ignorance in this thread concerning homeschooling.

EDDIT: The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
The playground of the world
Last edited by Eddie4President at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by The Buttmonkey
I also belong to a church, where I've made some of the best friends of my life and met some of the hottest chicks in my life!

Hot chicks aren't any use when they don't put out. /misogyny
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Page 1 of 3